PDA

View Full Version : WDS - wep Only

jfish
9th December, 2008, 01:23 PM
I have set up a WDS using two wifi routers, disappointed that WDS only supports WEP and not WPA

anyone know if this is due to my router (using 2 identical wifi routers) or is this industry standard for WDS to only support WEP encryption.

tb888
16th December, 2008, 05:21 AM
I don't really have experience with this myself, I'm interested in what kind of hardware you used though (I'm good at finding information, so I still might be able to help), are they standard SOHO routers?

dell_xps
16th December, 2008, 10:49 AM
I have set up a WDS using two wifi routers, disappointed that WDS only supports WEP and not WPA

anyone know if this is due to my router (using 2 identical wifi routers) or is this industry standard for WDS to only support WEP encryption.

A Wireless Distribution System is a system that enables the wireless interconnection of access points in an IEEE 802.11 network. It allows a wireless network to be expanded using multiple access points without the need for a wired backbone to link them, as is traditionally required. The notable advantage of WDS over other solutions is that it preserves the MAC addresses of client packets across links between access points. [1]

An access point can be either a main, relay or remote base station. A main base station is typically connected to the wired Ethernet. A relay base station relays data between remote base stations, wireless clients or other relay stations to either a main or another relay base station. A remote base station accepts connections from wireless clients and passes them to relay or main stations. Connections between "clients" are made using MAC addresses rather than by specifying IP assignments.

All base stations in a Wireless Distribution System must be configured to use the same radio channel, and share WEP keys or WPA keys if they are used. They can be configured to different service set identifiers. WDS also requires that every base station be configured to forward to others in the system.

WDS may also be referred to as repeater mode because it appears to bridge and accept wireless clients at the same time (unlike traditional bridging). It should be noted, however, that throughput in this method is halved for all clients connected to a router that is connected with WDS.

jfish
16th December, 2008, 02:14 PM
I don't really have experience with this myself, I'm interested in what kind of hardware you used though (I'm good at finding information, so I still might be able to help), are they standard SOHO routers?

I am using 2 cheap as chips routers 802.11b/g 13 quid each

one AP has my BB connection, DHCP - second AP is just a standard AP - configured both AP's t use WDS and point to each other - same security on both (128 BIT WEP) - using same SSID

The beauty of this is when I scan for wifi networks I see only one and as I move around the house, the lappy connects to the one with the strongest signal - funnily enought I never see this happen as I move around.

it does the job for me, I could have either got myself one of them fancy 802.11n one at 65+ quid or for 28 quid perefect reception (95%+ signal all over the house)

jfish
16th December, 2008, 02:15 PM
All base stations in a Wireless Distribution System must be configured to use the same radio channel, and share WEP keys or WPA keys if they are used. They can be configured to different service set identifiers. WDS also requires that every base station be configured to forward to others in the system.

right so it must be my routers that have the limitation of WEP when configured as WDS.

dell_xps
17th December, 2008, 10:35 AM
right so it must be my routers that have the limitation of WEP when configured as WDS.

What routers do you have m8?

jfish
18th December, 2008, 09:19 PM
What routers do you have m8?

cheap shit.. its a Dynamode BR6004W-G1