PDA

View Full Version : OTC Smart Cards?

JandJSpeedShop
4th March, 2011, 04:25 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any insight or knowledge on copying smart cards. I still have a reader/writer from the old satelite HU cards and I was wondering if I could copy these cards to use on a few scanners I have. The OTC scanners marry themselves to the cards and are 1 time/tool use only. I have 4 of these scanners and I would like to upgrade all of them at once. I would imagine the scanner itself changes some HEX or checksum on the smart card so they can be read again or work on another unit. Would it be as simple and copying the HEX dump and see what changes after the card is used in 1 scanner.

Things I need to figure out:
1. Security features on these cards to prevent reading and copying
2. What type of card this is (KB storage) so I can buy a few blank cards

shitad
4th March, 2011, 03:51 PM
I have OTC genisys with Old Version 1, 2002 software with smart cards for PathFinder and ABS and I need help to upgrade it can you help ?. I downloaded the Version 3 upgrade software from here some time ago and have not figured out out to upgrade it.

Regards.

Bklyn
13th March, 2011, 08:26 PM
M29W400 flash memory chip inside the scanner contains a tools serial number. Program all of your four scanners with the same serial number and you should be able to update them with a single smart card.

ibmman
14th March, 2011, 12:33 AM
M29W400 flash memory chip inside the scanner contains a tools serial number. Program all of your four scanners with the same serial number and you should be able to update them with a single smart card.

And how is it possible to accomplish changing the serial numbers?

Thanks

TKMobile
14th March, 2011, 12:40 AM
I also have an OTC 3.0 ..what a mistake that was

Bklyn
14th March, 2011, 11:12 AM
And how is it possible to accomplish changing the serial numbers?

Thanks
Remove chip from the board, change serial number using a programmer, replace chip. :)

rrob311
20th January, 2012, 03:24 AM
What is a good all around programmer to use for chips? What is a common program to open up the info on the chip?

twrch
28th March, 2012, 05:16 PM
Remove chip from the board, change serial number using a programmer, replace chip. :)

Ignore this comment, this person has no idea what they are talking about and clearly has no knowledge of how a genisys works nor where it stores its serial number.

JandJSpeedShop
27th April, 2012, 04:56 AM
Ignore this comment, this person has no idea what they are talking about and clearly has no knowledge of how a genisys works nor where it stores its serial number.

Please share fine info then

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

twrch
4th June, 2013, 07:29 PM
Are you going to copy my work and sell it?

I was just talking to someone else about this and I think someone in the genisys 4.0 thread made a good point. If you publish it online as your own work, everyone will copy it... but since everyone is doing it... at least noone can sell it.

Looking at the scan tools, it seems that the EVO tool is taking off now. Maybe it's time to make all this stuff public and be done with it. I'm going to order an EVO tool next week and see if it works the same way... If so, then I think info for both tools needs to be published at the same time so OTC doesn't have a chance to defeat the method.

gmb45
13th September, 2015, 05:19 PM
keep the thread on topic and no slagging each other off or its closed.

twrch
14th February, 2016, 05:59 AM
keep the thread on topic and no slagging each other off or its closed.

I'm confused. You replied with this >2 years later?

LOL

gopelhu
3rd March, 2016, 01:05 PM
Hi all,

This card programmer (that i have ) can be read/write any smart card :)

Regards, G

twrch
4th March, 2016, 07:29 AM
No need to read-write them, you don't need the smart cards to activate the apps.