PDA

View Full Version : How many boxes do you have?

Hawk.
4th March, 2011, 11:46 AM
Hey,

So, I was wondering how many boxes do you have in your household? The reason why I ask is because I have two boxes. A DM500S and a DM800HD and I'm running both from a splitter (for the cable).

Let us know how many boxes you have and how you've set it up? With a simple splitter or a signal amplifier?

Thanks

mapex
4th March, 2011, 02:43 PM
3 boxes...Sky+_HD, TM500, DB500HD
Dreambox is on a motorised dish the sly and the TM
both on the sly dish but with sep cables dont like
the idea of splitters.

dave-h
4th March, 2011, 04:44 PM
3 boxes. A Humax Foxsat HDR (Freesat receiver), a TM600 and DM800 clone running from a fixed dish with four LNBs for 13E, 16E, 19.2E and 28.2E.

28.2 E LNB is a quad, with two feeds direct to the Humax and the other two feeds going to two 4/1 DiSEqC switches, the other 3 LNBs are twins with the feeds from each going to the two DiSEqC switches, one of the 4/1 DiSEqC switches feeds my TM600 the other my DM800

southpaw
4th March, 2011, 05:57 PM
Hey,

So, I was wondering how many boxes do you have in your household? The reason why I ask is because I have two boxes. A DM500S and a DM800HD and I'm running both from a splitter (for the cable).

Let us know how many boxes you have and how you've set it up? With a simple splitter or a signal amplifier?

Thanks

splitter ? on satellite , i always thought you couldnt split a sat feed

freck
4th March, 2011, 06:15 PM
Yeah...me too.thats the whole idea of double quad lnb's etc.How are you finding using a splitter and whats you AGC and SNR like,any breakup or freezing etc
Freck

Hawk.
5th March, 2011, 03:37 PM

Yeah...me too.thats the whole idea of double quad lnb's etc.How are you finding using a splitter and whats you AGC and SNR like,any breakup or freezing etc
Freck

@southpaw - Yes, I have a splitter on the cable which comes from the dish.

@~~~~ - Well.. I have a DM800HD and that was working fine (the cable was coming from the splitter to the DM800HD). When I purchased another box (DM500S) - It was working fine too, but all of a sudden (not sure how or what happened) - The DM800HD box works fine (channels crystal clear etc) but the DM500S - It searches for the signal but nothing loads. I have to move the cable (which is connected to the splitter) around for the SNR / AGC to go up (which isn't high at all). Radio worked only and then I gave up hence the thread :)

I am 99% sure it's nothing to do with the box as the box works in my guest room (where the DM800HD is located) - I replace the box with the DM500S and it works and vice versa.

What I'm going to do now is purchase another splitter, to see if it's the splitter. I thought of purchasing 2/3 of these:
2m TV F-type FLY LEAD PLUG to PLUG Coax Cable on eBay (end time 13-Mar-11 08:49:45 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2m-TV-F-type-FLY-LEAD-PLUG-PLUG-Coax-Cable-/190456466869?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2c58170db5)

and a few of these:

10 F Barrel Connector/Joiner/Coupler Adaptor Socket Sky on eBay (end time 25-Mar-11 12:24:01 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-F-Barrel-Connector-Joiner-Coupler-Adaptor-Socket-Sky-/260712140169?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item3cb3a78d89#ht_503wt_698)

What I'll be doing is using the above cables connecting it to the splitter and then using the f connector joiners to join the cables (so it can reach my living room).

I hope it works.

I know, I come up with complicated ways. I could just have another wire coming from the dish itself to the living room - Which will be my last solution.

Thanks for the replies guys. Rep'd + Thank'd :)

P.S. SNR: 63% - AGC: 44% (This is for the DM500S itself, running cable from splitter). Is it good or bad? I'm not even sure myself, lol.

reddevil157
5th March, 2011, 03:41 PM
Your last solution is your best one. The least amount of connections on a run of cable the better imho. How you getting on with the image ?

Hawk.
5th March, 2011, 03:46 PM
Image is great mate.

For my last solution - Would I need another LNB? I'm sorry it may sound stupid, but I am not like some members on this board who know the ins and outs of dishes etc. Or would that be a few ports on the LNB available - Which I can use to connect another cable from the dish to the box?

Thanks.

reddevil157
5th March, 2011, 03:49 PM
Depends what you have now, is it a single lnb, if so you can pick up a double or a quad lnb for a few quid and a couple of mtrs of cable, and get a great signal on both boxes.

Just to give you an idea of it (http://cgi.ebay.ie/QUAD-LNB-BRAND-NEW-HD-READY-SKY-PLUS-FREESAT-POLSAT-/350134371523?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item5185a284c3#ht_3734wt_726), there are more expensive ones you can get.

sob1467
5th March, 2011, 04:00 PM
I created a similat thread on this last year http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f11/satellite-enthusiasts-how-many-satelite-receivers-do-yous-have-106380/ back then I had 4 receivers I now have 6. I bought a dm500 and a opticum during the year.

Hawk.
5th March, 2011, 04:30 PM
Depends what you have now, is it a single lnb, if so you can pick up a double or a quad lnb for a few quid and a couple of mtrs of cable, and get a great signal on both boxes.

Just to give you an idea of it (http://cgi.ebay.ie/QUAD-LNB-BRAND-NEW-HD-READY-SKY-PLUS-FREESAT-POLSAT-/350134371523?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item5185a284c3#ht_3734wt_726), there are more expensive ones you can get.

I'm not sure if it's single, the sly man just fitted it - I wasn't really interested in what type of LNB it was, just let him did his job. I need to go up and check which I will do tomorrow (don't have a ladder atm). The cable - Is there any "special" one, or will any cable do? Also, the LNB - Do I need to detach the old one and re-attach the new one? I'll look for a guide, see if it's easy to do. Also, I would assume there maybe a difference between the inexpensive ones and the expensive ones - Right?

I created a similat thread on this last year http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f11/satellite-enthusiasts-how-many-satelite-receivers-do-yous-have-106380/ back then I had 4 receivers I now have 6. I bought a dm500 and a opticum during the year.

6 receivers in one house, you must have a huge family! Unless you like watching TV in almost every room .. including the bathroom! lol. (only kidding)

GastonJ
5th March, 2011, 04:35 PM
A DM7025 and a sky+ box. 7 single LNB's going into a 16 port disqc switch (8 free for for future expansion :) ) and a quad LNB going into the disqc box and 2 feeds going to the sky+ box. Next thing is to replace 7 of the LNB's with quads, another 16 port switch and then maybe increase that by another 5 LNB's once it's summer

Shady
5th March, 2011, 04:37 PM
a dm500s and a htpc with dvb-s card running hadu cccam client, 2 x sky fta all running off a bog standard sky installed quad lnb.

cris808
5th March, 2011, 06:25 PM
3 boxes. A Humax Foxsat HDR (Freesat receiver), a TM600 and DM800 clone running from a fixed dish with four LNBs for 13E, 16E, 19.2E and 28.2E.

28.2 E LNB is a quad, with two feeds direct to the Humax and the other two feeds going to two 4/1 DiSEqC switches, the other 3 LNBs are twins with the feeds from each going to the two DiSEqC switches, one of the 4/1 DiSEqC switches feeds my TM600 the other my DM800

How big is your dish if it is fixed and receiving different satellite signals?

I would love to get rid of the motor on my dish. Every time I change satellites my neighbours all stop and stare if there in their gardens! :hahaha:

dave-h
5th March, 2011, 07:03 PM
How big is your dish if it is fixed and receiving different satellite signals?

85cm with 16E as the prime focus as it's the weakest sat...

reddevil157
5th March, 2011, 09:12 PM
@ Hawk, I got a single lnb here (http://shop.ebay.ie/vortech_trading/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562), as I'm going to use it on a motor, I was advised to get the Inverto black ultra as it's said to be the best. There are doubles & quads on there also. You will have to take the old one off, but it's easy, should be only one nut and bolt or even a tie-wrap holding the lnb on. Up to you what you buy, some might recommend different ones.