PDA

View Full Version : can i get freeview without a tv aerial?

footycard steve
4th March, 2011, 12:30 PM
i've just bought a hd tv so we put my old one in the spare bedroom its only analogue and we dont have an aerial in the room but can we use it (the analogue tv)with a freeview box? we've been trying but not working we have indoor aerial and signal booster,have had a picture but it freezes,is there any way of getting it set up or would it only work with outdoor aerial connected?

iphonic
4th March, 2011, 01:06 PM
Hi mate not sure if this will help, go on google and type in freeview and look for the official freeview website and go to it and type ypur postcode in a section on the site to check if you can get freeview through your existing ariel if not then you could ring a self employed person who fita freeview ariels, check on the net our in the yellow pages for company numbers. They will come and and sort it for you but shop arounf because allot of them try to rip people off also say to them how many rooms you want the freeview connection in and i its just one it should not be that expensive. I had to call and pay someone but i payed 175 or ?135 about 4years ago i cant remeber exactly but looking back at it i should have just took a sky contract out and after a year i get to keep the equipment anyway and thats all freeview and even better than just standard uk freeview. Hope i have helped.

toolmansteve
4th March, 2011, 09:08 PM
Hi,with any aerial, you need it up as high as possible, so,if you have an attic, best it goes up there. Go to Wickes and get their cheapest aerial which will cost you a tenner and enough co axial cable to reach through the spare bedroom. Mount the aerial onto the rafters and point it in the general direction of where everyone elses aerials are pointing. Drill a tiny hole in the ceiling feed the cable through and into the aerial booster and into Freeview. All you need now is an assistant to move the aerial a bit until best picture is obtained and then u can switch on the Freeview and do a channel scan.---Sorted !!

footycard steve
5th March, 2011, 01:34 PM
thanks for replying but i was looking for a way of just linking the freeview box to the tv without an aerial.

cactikid
5th March, 2011, 03:05 PM
if you dont have an aerial outdoor or indoor how to you expect to scan for channels,dont know if you can pick it up with long coaxial,i can but very close to transmitter and in irl.
scart from box to tv is it not?

footycard steve
5th March, 2011, 03:36 PM
if you dont have an aerial outdoor or indoor how to you expect to scan for channels,dont know if you can pick it up with long coaxial,i can but very close to transmitter and in irl.
scart from box to tv is it not?
have an aerial in living room and indoor aerial also,i expect to scan the box in 1 room then move it into the spare room if it can be used thats why i'm asking the question if its possible to use a freeview box without an aerial connected like a seperate device via aux like vhs/dvd .

cactikid
5th March, 2011, 05:21 PM
aerial will need to be plugged in to view same as plugging in to back of tv for viewing and removing it will give you a no picture,same as a vcr unplug the coaxial and you cannot record,have you tried other room with an indoor aerial or run a new line in for coaxial cable.

toolmansteve
5th March, 2011, 10:47 PM
Sadly --no aerial == no Freeview --- Simples

parricull
11th March, 2011, 08:47 PM
you can always stick an aerial in the loft,i currently do this and with great success

Mjolinor
17th March, 2011, 08:45 AM
Leave it where it is and buy a video sender.

oneman
21st March, 2011, 09:40 AM
have an aerial in living room and indoor aerial also,i expect to scan the box in 1 room then move it into the spare room if it can be used thats why i'm asking the question if its possible to use a freeview box without an aerial connected like a seperate device via aux like vhs/dvd .

No good just tuning the channels in, it need a signal to recieve anything.

The only situation you describe would be if your freeview is a PVR then you can record with the box plugged into the aerial downstairs and playback in the bedroom but to view live TV you will need an aerial.

footycard steve
21st March, 2011, 09:27 PM
we are now getting several but not all channels using the freeview box and indoor aerial and signal booster.