PDA

View Full Version : obd heavy trucks

rehtnap
8th March, 2011, 11:47 PM
hi
is there any obd code reading software or generic gizmo (as opposed to the manufacturers oem.) for new trucks. they are so common for cars and light vehicles . i know pf diagnose have one planned but are there any others on the market.:rock:

jctech
9th March, 2011, 01:07 AM
Google is your freind, try OBD2, you want one that reads SAE J1939, this is the protocol that heavy equipment is on.

The main problem with generic scanners, is that the SAE J1939 fault definition is difficult to pin down to an OEM fault code for troubleshooting, and there are no diagnostic tests.

eddie8
9th March, 2011, 01:56 AM
Get a nexiq fault code book. they are cheap and can tell you what the code is for. also otc makes a generic scanner for hd.

If this helps say thanks:rock:

hercamp
9th March, 2011, 05:05 PM
pf is really good in american brand.....but for european or others you will need some special tool....like bosh...or carman scan...I dont know if x431 for hd trucks can...but Isee one Actia multibrand with good support and updates..

rp1210a
10th March, 2011, 03:06 AM
Hands down PF Diagnose is the best option. j1708 + j1939, graphing, It has most manufacture specific codes already translated. Did you check out the price? Nothing below even comes close.

Other options:

Modis w/heavy duty = j1708 only
OTC w/heavy duty = generic codes only, slower than slow
Pro-Link w/heavy duty standard = generic codes only unless you purchase separate cards for each manufacture.
x431= only unit aftermarket tool ive seen pull codes on medium duty gmc/isuzu but crap live data list.
Eaton MD200 = j1708 only but decent quick handheld tool.

rehtnap
11th March, 2011, 06:33 PM
hi
on heavy road going trucks they now have can obd. does anyone know if thats the same codes ect as can for cars ect. i know trucks are 24 volt but is the pids ect the same or have they written a new version for commercial trucks.
i suppose what im asking is would a car can obd reader read a new (2010) truck can obd apart from the 24 volt bit:driver:

Fool2cool
12th March, 2011, 09:34 AM
Im just wondering this myself, ive just built an OBD cable for my nexiq adapter. Is the OBD2 socket on a volvo truck the same as that in a car? Theres no J1708 data lines in an OBD socket though? Does this mean i have to diagnose a volvo truck over J1939? I read on another posting that you should use J1708 to talk to volvo trucks in vcads?

Many Thanks
Chaz

dieselequipos
12th March, 2011, 01:46 PM
my friend fooll2cool

volvo only use 1708 for diagnosis ,

DonL
12th March, 2011, 02:09 PM
hi
on heavy road going trucks they now have can obd. does anyone know if thats the same codes ect as can for cars ect. i know trucks are 24 volt but is the pids ect the same or have they written a new version for commercial trucks.
i suppose what im asking is would a car can obd reader read a new (2010) truck can obd apart from the 24 volt bit:driver:

J1939 is on the CAN lines and is considered to be an On Board Diagnostics Protocol (OBD)

In the schematics it usually has CAN Hi CAN Lo

If your scanner does not support J1939 then you can not read these CAN signals.

If your vehicle is an OBD-II vehicle, such as a Duramax or a Ford mid size truck, you can use a generic OBD-II reader but some of the emissions related faults may not show up.

Many heavy trucks (Most in North America) and elsewhere are either J1939 or J1708. A generic OBD scanner will not read them. Some trucks with Auto Transmissions have an OBD-II plug for Transmission only access and usually use GMLAN as the protocol. Take a 2010 Cummins, it is both J1708 and J1939, an OBD-II generic code reader will not work.

The next release of PF-Diagnose will bridge the gap, it will read J1587, J1708, J1939, and all OBD-II vehicles

One tool for any automotive application

We have an extensive database of fault code cross ref. so you get OEM code definitions, We have some test routines and we have fast live data graphing, display, and recording of snapshots.

PF-Diagnose works with any RP1210 adapter and the next version will support J2534 Pass Thru adapters as well.

Hope this helps.

RSwire
12th March, 2011, 02:17 PM
J1939 is on the CAN lines and is considered to be an On Board Diagnostics Protocol (OBD)

If your vehicle is an OBD-II vehicle, such as a Duramax or a Ford mid size truck, you can use a generic OBD-II reader but some of the emissions related faults may not show up.

Many heavy trucks (Most in North America) and elsewhere are either J1939 or J1708. A generic OBD scanner will not read them. Some trucks with Auto Transmissions have an OBD-II plug for Transmission only access and usually use GMLAN as the protocol. Take a 2010 Cummins, it is both J1708 and J1939, an OBD-II generic code reader will not work.

The next release of PF-Diagnose will bridge the gap, it will read J1587, J1708, J1939, and all OBD-II vehicles

We have an extensive database of fault code cross ref. so you get OEM code definitions, We have some test routines and we have fast live data graphing, display, and recording of snapshots.

PF-Diagnose works with any RP1210 adapter and the next version will support J2534 Pass Thru adapters as well.

Hope this helps.

Any Idea of a release date? We all would like to know. A universal program would be the cats ass. Another question, will it only do generic obd or will it be oem code data.

DonL
13th March, 2011, 08:39 PM
The beta version should be ready in a month or two and will be available for beta testers only, the alpha is being tested now, today I connected to a 2002 Ford Sport Trac, a 2000 GMC Blaser, and a 2010 Ford F150 Super Crew, All vehicles connected, reported diagnostic status, and started streeming live data imediately.

The fault codes will be decoded by Manufacturer's code definitions first and if not found will default to generic code definitions.

I will add any OEM PIDs I can find and continue to add more to updates as they become available.

Hope this helps....

Fool2cool
13th March, 2011, 09:06 PM
I have heard that new volvo trucks around here in the UK have an OBD socket now, does this mean they must use J1939 for diagnostics? Because theres no pins in a standard OBD socket for J1708 data lines?

jctech
14th March, 2011, 12:16 AM
I have heard that new volvo trucks around here in the UK have an OBD socket now, does this mean they must use J1939 for diagnostics? Because theres no pins in a standard OBD socket for J1708 data lines?

UK trucks and busses have to have an OBD socket for the ministry/VOSA to connect into to view emission equipment faults in case of tampering etc

Fool2cool
15th March, 2011, 07:43 PM
So they will still have a 9 pin deutsch or similar connector such as a volvo offset 8? That will contain J1708 data lines?

DonL
12th April, 2011, 03:57 AM
So they will still have a 9 pin deutsch or similar connector such as a volvo offset 8? That will contain J1708 data lines?

I have seen many Fords and GMCs with both connectors, also note that there are 7 unused pins in the OBD-II socket for a typical application so these could be reassigned to J1708 by an OEM for their tool I suppose.

The easiest way is to look at the connector, see what pins are populated and then by process of elimination see what pins are not identified in a typical OBD plug, then look for blue and white wires, common colors for J1708 J1939 uses Yellow and Green tyically.

See attached OBD plug pinout

MDR72
13th April, 2011, 02:34 AM
heavy trucks in US will eventually be a standard obd pulg style. was told should happen by 2013 us dept of transportation wants it to become a set standard so trucks can be checked to see if engine is epa compliant. all so an officer can give you a ticket.

moza
15th April, 2011, 08:49 PM
i need the program for gmc duramax

hercamp
16th April, 2011, 04:35 AM
i need the program for gmc duramax

100% tested ,PCMSCAN.......works with elm327 and read fault codes and delete them.

if you need something more special tool .....will need autoenginuity is cool in GMC ....OR others light trucks also diesels...

rehtnap
20th April, 2011, 10:18 PM
just as an update the company i left few months ago have bought a fleet of iveco eurotrackers and they have obd plug and obd faults as for cars for emission via can bus on it.. was told its compulsory for trucks from 2010/2011. also had 2 other plugs for easy. readout on dash gave fault code and description but they were very vauge descriptions.

Zake
22nd May, 2011, 03:28 PM
In Europa,there is a standard that force the manufacturers to install OBD conector...
From 95'-96'-97 to cars (year depend on manufacturer),04'-05'-06' to vans,light trucks and trucks.
Some of them have 2 conectors...like MB Vario...

I use TEXA for read/erase(faults)/write(parameters) ecm on trucks...

oldford
22nd May, 2011, 03:53 PM
In Europa,there is a standard that force the manufacturers to install OBD conector...
From 95'-96'-97 to cars

EOBD forces the use of the J1962 connector (usually called OBD2 connector) for most petrol passenger cars in 2001.
For most diesel passenger cars it starts in 2004.
Heavy/big cars and commercial vans follow a couple of years later.
Standard can be found on the site of the European community.

hercamp
22nd May, 2011, 04:09 PM
I ve seen autocom's interface....at 800 usd for a lot of european models and american brands too....with all adapters cost 900 usd and free shippment ...

Have you ever test that tool???maybe from e2bd2.com

superc0
24th May, 2011, 03:57 AM

Hope this helps.

WHERE IS PF DIAGNOSE TO DOWNLOAD?
WHERE IS THE BETA VERSION?
YOU CAN SHARE WITH US?
THANKS-

RSwire
24th May, 2011, 11:25 PM
YOU CAN SHARE WITH US?
THANKS-

DonL is the developer of PF Diagnose, he can hook you up with a trial version if you ask him. And it will work with any rp1210a interface.

DonL
26th July, 2011, 02:23 AM
I looked into this further...

There are two OBD-II style cables available for the Nexiq, one is the standard OBD-II configuration, and the other is what they call the CAT cable, it uses J1708 over OBD-II by using the ISO9141 pin for J1708

The pinouts are on my website in the FAQ page.

DonL
26th July, 2011, 02:39 AM
YOU CAN SHARE WITH US?
THANKS-

PF-Diagnose is available at no advertising !!!

The next version is due out in a few weeks.

There are no more beta versions available

It has been tested and works on many vehicles
International
Freightliner
Detroit Diesel
Eaton
Bendix
Ford and Sterling Heavy Trucks
F150 Ford Pickups with Gasoline engines
Ford Diesel (Turbo Diesel)
GMC Trucks Duramax
Chrysler Trucks
Volkwagon Trucks
Cars - Toyata, GM, Ford, Mercedes, and many many more
Mercedes Truck Engines
John Deere
CASE Industrial
and many more

Tested Adapters
Nexiq
Movimento
Navistar
Norigon
IC4
Inline
DPA (Dearborn)
Any RP1210 or J2534 PassThru adapter should work...

Supported Protocols
RP1210 A and B
J2534
============
J1587
J1708
J1939
CAN
ISO 15765
ISO 15765 29bit
ISO 9141
ISO 14230
ISO 14230 Fast Init
J1850 PWM
J1850 VPW
KWP2000
K-Line
:ciao:

nicole99wu
27th July, 2011, 08:46 AM
do you want the heavy truck diagnostic tool? I think the ps2 and the autocom CDP are good one, you can google them.

autodiagnostic
30th August, 2011, 12:32 PM
hi
is there any obd code reading software or generic gizmo (as opposed to the manufacturers oem.) for new trucks. they are so common for cars and light vehicles . i know pf diagnose have one planned but are there any others on the market.:rock:

Maybe you could try autocom cdp pro for truck. It is a PC based OBD II diagnostic tool with full functionality for reading and erasing diagnostic fault codes (DTC).