PDA

View Full Version : how to connect db to wireless network

Digger
20th April, 2008, 11:10 PM
i have a laptop a db 500 c but my dsl and wireless router r up in the attic out of the way nice and tidy so how can i connect to my:elefant::elefant: db without puttin an ethernet cable into it from d router up in the attic, any ideas guys?.....

smirnoff_rules
20th April, 2008, 11:13 PM
u need one of these m8 then u can record to your lappy if u want and watch tv on it also change files without being hot wired to the lappy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Value-Wireless-Removable-Antenna/dp/B000TV85GQ/ref=pd_bbs_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1200079624&sr=8-7

Digger
20th April, 2008, 11:18 PM
what is that i have a wireless netgear router, what will this max value thing do 4 me that my own one wont

smirnoff_rules
20th April, 2008, 11:20 PM
it connects to your dreambox and becomes a bridge ,ie another wireless router . a extension of your router upstairs without the wires

Digger
20th April, 2008, 11:24 PM
ok cool i'll order one so, is it compatabile with netgear do ya know r is it standard?, will it work with db500c?

Digger
20th April, 2008, 11:36 PM
tried to order that wireless bridge but amazon wont deliver it to ireland 4 some reason and checked e bay but cant find it, any where else i can get it do ya know

Digger
21st April, 2008, 12:04 AM
found a NetGear WG602 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless Access Point will that do the same thing?

aftermath
21st April, 2008, 07:27 AM
If it says it is a wireless access point, then yes it should do.

But i bought one of those a few months ago, and found it complicated to set up, as there are so many options to choose from in the access point settings, and i never managed to get it to create a wireless bridge.

I ended up just fitting a 3 way splitter in my living room, V+ box, dreambox, Modem.

If you have a cable box in your living room, i would suggest doing the same.

Good luck mate.

Neil
21st April, 2008, 10:36 AM
How about trying out of these (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132431/show_product_reviews)from ebuyer at ?14.99?

It looks ideal, this is what one of the reviewers said about it

Got this set up and working in a matter of minutes. Fantastic little AP, and very cheap too!

Successfully got this working as an access point, and as a client (Once set up as a client, just plug it into the LAN socket on your PC and it's as if you're connected via a wired network, totally transparent!)

You want it set up as a client as he says in the above quote. Once setup as a client you just connect your dreambox/xbox/pc/whatever into it and it will connect to your router.

lorrebreaker
21st April, 2008, 11:14 AM
found a NetGear WG602 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless Access Point will that do the same thing?

Should definately work, i have my dreambox hardwired and my dboxes use the WGE111 Wireless gaming adapter, dont have any problems with playback or recording.

But another option would be to try something like this:

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1205&highlight=wireless

teleboss
21st April, 2008, 05:33 PM
i have a laptop a db 500 c but my dsl and wireless router r up in the attic out of the way nice and tidy so how can i connect to my:elefant::elefant: db without puttin an ethernet cable into it from d router up in the attic, any ideas guys?.....

Hi As I understand it you have a wireless accesspoint in the attic, and you want to connect your dreambox to it over wireless.

First of all do not buy another accesspoint unless it can become a client, few accesspoints do this as their intended purpose is as it states access point.

There are a number of ways of doing this, One way is to download some software called dd-wrt have a look here for supported devices, http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

you can download the firmware and flash it to your router same as flashing a dream box, some simple network config and you are away with it.

There are other options, but i think this will get you working quickly and cheaply.

If there are any other questions please give us a shout back

Neil
21st April, 2008, 05:49 PM
There are a number of ways of doing this, One way is to download some software called dd-wrt have a look here for supported devices, http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

I use dd-wrt on my linksys, it would be of no use to Digger, he needs an access point that can be set up as a client like you said at the beginning of your post, I linked to one before http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132431/show_product_reviews. That one is only ?14.99 and according to one of the reviewers works as a client fine.

Digger
21st April, 2008, 05:55 PM
ok cool neil, so i buy this access point and i then do what with it, will it pickup my wireless router in the attic and then o can plug my db into it and i shud then be able to access it from my laptop? is that correct in what i am thinking?...

Neil
21st April, 2008, 06:42 PM
ok cool neil, so i buy this access point and i then do what with it, will it pickup my wireless router in the attic and then o can plug my db into it and i shud then be able to access it from my laptop? is that correct in what i am thinking?...

You will have to connect with it from your laptop first. Might be best if you switched off the wireless on the laptop and set the AP up so your laptop can connect to the internet through the AP. You should then be able to plug the AP into your Dreambox. You would have to read the instructions on how to configure the device plugged into the AP when it is in client mode.

teleboss
21st April, 2008, 07:02 PM
I use dd-wrt on my linksys, it would be of no use to Digger, he needs an access point that can be set up as a client like you said at the beginning of your post, I linked to one before http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132431/show_product_reviews. That one is only ?14.99 and according to one of the reviewers works as a client fine.

Hi Neil, The reason I suggested DD-WRT is that this firmware allows over 80 different routers to be used in a number of modes, DD-WRT allows AP mode, Client mode, And WDS mode, its really simpe to set up and works really well, The nice thing is that if you have a old router around it will most lightly take a flash.

Why would DD-WRT be of no use ?????? He has all ready said he has an existing wireless router in the attic all he needs is a wireless client. ?

teleboss
21st April, 2008, 07:04 PM
You will have to connect with it from your laptop first. Might be best if you switched off the wireless on the laptop and set the AP up so your laptop can connect to the internet through the AP. You should then be able to plug the AP into your Dreambox. You would have to read the instructions on how to configure the device plugged into the AP when it is in client mode.

I think this might confuse the user, :nurse:

Neil
21st April, 2008, 07:21 PM
Why would DD-WRT be of no use ?????? He has all ready said he has an existing wireless router in the attic all he needs is a wireless client. ?

If you read his 1st post the router in his attic is the one he uses to connect to the internet.

I think this might confuse the user,

My description might not have been the best but if he gets a client mode capable access point or router the setup will be very similar on both. The AP I linked to can also be setup as a bridge. Either way you need to connect to it to configure it. This usually means connecting a cable to it, many wireless devices default to having the wireless switched off for security reasons son connection by ethernet cable is required.