PDA

View Full Version : Peugeot 307 year 2002 bsm unit help.

glyndwr1998
17th March, 2011, 10:08 AM
Hi everyone,

I am looking for alittle help and advice.

I have got the year 2002 peugoet 307 1.4 hdi. It has had a starting issue for some time where sometimes it takes about 15 seconds of cranking before the engine fires into life. It is intermittent, not cold related, as sometimes in morning it will start straight away, when its been standing for some days, start strainght away, but sometimes, even after only been stood for a few seconds, will take a long time to start.

In peugoet planet cranking speed is 225 rpm (have been advised this may be the issue) desired fuel rail pressure 275 bar.

I have purchased a new starter motor but havent changed it yet. I have a fried who does some mobile diagnostics, and he says try to change the bsm unit.

Additionally, the car will start immediately off a bump start, no waiting or running for a few seconds before engine fires, it starts as soon as clutch pedal is released and gearbox turns turning the engine around.

My BSM is a delphi make BSM B2. I have access to a seimens BSM B5 from a later 307 that is almost new.

Does anyone know if the seimens and delphi bsm units can be interchanged, I already now a bsm b3 and b4 wil fit and work, but not sure about the seimens delphi compatibility.

They look the same, have the same fuses and connecting plugs layout.

Just looking fr alittle advice before i decide to try changing the units as a diagnostic to rule out rhe possibility of the bsm unit being the problem with this starting issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS... previously i have had a fault with this car with the high pressure fuel pump where the solenoid wasnt rewsacting quickly enough and the car wouild sometines stall on low revs, was hoping that would also solve this start issue but no luck. Also have already changed the fuel pipes and priming bulb along with a new fuel filter to see if there was a fault with air or fuel returning back to the tank. No change.

Thanks. Anthony.

nutloose
17th March, 2011, 09:02 PM
slow cranking = low fuel pressure= no/reluctant start
bad starter motor=noise on ckp signal= no start
bad starter=low voltage when cranking = no start

If you already have a starter I think you know what's next!

If it isn't an immo issue why would the BSI be causing the no start, and why would bump starting affect the BSI.

Larue
17th March, 2011, 10:40 PM
Even if they are looking a bit different plugs has the same pinouts...so not a problem to try.
Anyway in my opinion there is something different and i would agree with nutloose.
Cheers!

glyndwr1998
18th March, 2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks Nutloose & Larue,

OK, I must fristly change the starter motor then.

I am not used to these newer cars that are controlled via the ecu.

My previous vehicle was a 98 vito traveliner not commonrail, therefore very straight forward, no ecu, no turbo.... very easy to understand.

Am i right in assuming then, that the ecu is always monitoring the line to the starter for noise, interference, voltage, etc... and if id does not like what signals it gets back will not allow the engine to fire?

The starter is not lazy, turns engine over freely and at 225 rpm, but maybe the noise on the line is too muxh and ecu isnt allowing the ignition procedure. Is this right...

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards, Glyndwr.

carclima
19th March, 2011, 01:13 PM
totaly agree with nutlose..starter speed related to presure build up..and one more thing..IF ecu is programed to start open injektros on 230 rpm you car will not start until you croos that line..so you can cranck whole day at 200rpm..

in diag mode open actual values and look for rpm and fuel presure when cranking.you need to decide what is trouble presure or rpm or voltage drop in moment of cranking..this cars are snsitive on all this stuff so note this values and post them here

good on bump start wories me too..that can mean you have low compresion ratio in cylinders? because in bump start engine turning faster so presure too build faster..but in other way ther is no voltage drop on bump start..so check bateru capacity too and compresio

aspy39
20th March, 2011, 02:32 PM
ive seen a few issues with starters on pugs drawing too much current and causing problems when trying to start, they seem to spin over at the correct speed but draw too much current and upset the ecus

glyndwr1998
22nd March, 2011, 11:29 AM
Update for you all.

All is now ok.

I changed the starter motor yesterday, and the car is now starting ok. I havent put it onto the planet yet to see what the rpm of the new motor is, but it is considrably faster.
The car now starts within 2 seconds at the most.

Thanks for all your help on this forum, it is by far ( and I am a member of a few forums) the best and most helpful forum I have the pleasure to be a member of.

Again, thanks for your contribution, and to the forum members and moderators for their drive to run and support this place.
:party:

Best regards, Glyndwr