PDA

View Full Version : Need a good anti mould silicon for the shower

ITS A SCAM !
17th March, 2011, 06:43 PM
Can anyone reccomend through personal experience a really good white silicon sealant for my shower area ?? I have replaced it 3 times over the years because its getting black with mould and mildew..i have tried Unibond and it still lets me down...any good suggestions are welcome....Cheers

chucklor
17th March, 2011, 11:00 PM
You could try this mate. 10 years is a decent guarantee Bond-it Xtreme Always Anti-mould Silicone White - Buy Plumbing Online (http://www.buyplumbingonline.co.uk/products/Bond%252dit-Xtreme-Always-Anti%252dmould-Silicone-White.html)

ITS A SCAM !
17th March, 2011, 11:12 PM
You could try this mate. 10 years is a decent guarantee Bond-it Xtreme Always Anti-mould Silicone White - Buy Plumbing Online (http://www.buyplumbingonline.co.uk/products/Bond%252dit-Xtreme-Always-Anti%252dmould-Silicone-White.html)

Have you personally used this ??

chucklor
17th March, 2011, 11:21 PM
I spoke to a plumber mate of mine and he said that out of all of them this is the one he would most recommend, he used it on my "P" shaped bath and shower and I have no probs in 2 years, but also my missus sprays it every so often with bleach...

gregk
17th March, 2011, 11:33 PM
Any decent aceton based silicone will do the job.I personaly use Wikes's kitchen and bathroom silcone or Mapei silicone - screwfix sell it. Both are acetone based [mapei is my prefered choice and few diffrent colours] And haven't had a problem with it. I noticed that most acrylic silicones will go mouldy very quicly.
Make sure you cut out all old silicone and clean aerier thruly and before you apply new silicone make sure it's all dry. Do not use the shower for 24hr after aplication. The problem when silicone goes mouldy quicly is mainly becouse you have a standing water say in the corners and as long at that's happening it's going to come back. Quick wipe/dry after shower will minimise the problem. Good extracor fan and or ventilation makes a big diffrence as well. Hope thats of some help.

ITS A SCAM !
18th March, 2011, 09:54 AM
I think the biggest problem i have is getting other family members to remove the standing water when they have finished using the shower...They dont really give a sh#t and treat the house like a hotel. Many thanks for the advice, i shall get the most expensive i can find and then tell everyone if if they dont clean up after themselves i shall remove the shower and they will have to bath instead...;)

Grizz
21st March, 2011, 10:05 PM
I think the biggest problem i have is getting other family members to remove the standing water when they have finished using the shower...They dont really give a sh#t and treat the house like a hotel. Many thanks for the advice, i shall get the most expensive i can find and then tell everyone if if they dont clean up after themselves i shall remove the shower and they will have to bath instead...;)

shut the gate valve on the shower off for a week and tell em its cause "someone isnt cleaning up water, mould backed up into pipes etc, ill sort it when ive time". week of smelly armpits might help em remember to dry up lol

Bulld0g
21st March, 2011, 10:09 PM
They dont really give a sh#t and treat the house like a hotel.
I had to check and make sure it wasn't me who posted this lol your not alone in feeling that way m8

Grizz
21st March, 2011, 11:41 PM
I had to check and make sure it wasn't me who posted this lol your not alone in feeling that way m8

i used think my auld fella was nutz, dont do this, please dont do that. little did i realise that it was all ahead of me, fixing other people sh1t, turnin off lights after them, cleaning their messes. sorry for that dad, lol

rixameib
30th May, 2011, 06:30 PM
Hahaha.

I have the same problem; they use the bathroom like fun place.
My poor bathroom floor :(