PDA

View Full Version : What filter for BBC in Wireshark

Krassegrand
18th March, 2011, 07:21 PM
I am using UBUNTU and the stream with flash is not that good and I am watching BBC over a VPN. I would like to find out what url I am picking up BBC on so that I can put that into VLC so that the picture might be better.
I am using Wireshark to see the traffic but I will have to filter to find out witch one is BBC.

What filter will I need?

J?rgen

Krassegrand
20th March, 2011, 12:33 PM
I have tried rtsp, TCP, IP and a lot of other different combinations. How can I narrow the vast amount of information?

MarkoE46
20th May, 2011, 12:25 PM
You can filter the results by the IP address (Yes, I know, there are a lot of them), domain name, protocol name and so on, but have you thought that if the video stream is bad that no video player will make it better?

Krassegrand
20th May, 2011, 05:01 PM
Well the thing is not that the stream is bad. The thing is that flash does not work well on my PC with Ubuntu so at the moment I am using windows for Streams. And I would sometimes like to record the video from the stream and I know how to work that in VLC.
It is not urgent any more but thank You for the help.

J?rgen

Furax
18th June, 2011, 06:11 PM
Iplayer is pretty traffic heavy so if you close down all apps bar wireshark and iplayer then 99% of the traffic will be from iplayer/the same IP

You can then create the filter by right clicking on a packet and going filter by.

Also iirc you can "follow by tcp stream" or something which will give you the whole stream for each file (video).. allowing you to see the header for the video which may contain some info in regards to decoding it.