PDA

View Full Version : hard to find a new notebook with com port

boonyen
19th March, 2011, 07:24 AM
for those who are using star diagnosis (old or latest version), all u need is a com port for your computer(desktop or laptop) to connect to the multiplexer, but nowadays is hard to find a notebook comes with com port(RS-232), how do you all solve this problem? for me, i'm using notebook with PCMCIA to RS-232. I've tried using USB to RS-232, but cannot run at all especially XENTRY.I wish that I can use a smaller notebook/netbook to make diagnosis(because lighter), could someone give me a good advice ? Thanks in advance !:party:

uzara
19th March, 2011, 08:09 AM
for those who are using star diagnosis (old or latest version), all u need is a com port for your computer(desktop or laptop) to connect to the multiplexer, but nowadays is hard to find a notebook comes with com port(RS-232), how do you all solve this problem? for me, i'm using notebook with PCMCIA to RS-232. I've tried using USB to RS-232, but cannot run at all especially XENTRY.I wish that I can use a smaller notebook/netbook to make diagnosis(because lighter), could someone give me a good advice ? Thanks in advance !:party:

Hi

Yes, that's a problem.
Not all USB to RS232 adapter working properly.
Have you tried the seriale interface set?
That helps sometimes.
Or tried other drivers for it?
the drivers are usually the problem because they also transmitted signals are not all
Greeting uzara

Richy06
21st March, 2011, 10:21 PM
Hi

Yes, that's a problem.
Not all USB to RS232 adapter working properly.
Have you tried the seriale interface set?
That helps sometimes.
Or tried other drivers for it?
the drivers are usually the problem because they also transmitted signals are not all
Greeting uzara

have you some exemple of driver for usb/rs232 adapter to give us because i have a problem to conect the C3 mux and i use a usb adapter and i think the probleme is with this adapter

uzara
21st March, 2011, 11:03 PM
have you some exemple of driver for usb/rs232 adapter to give us because i have a problem to conect the C3 mux and i use a usb adapter and i think the probleme is with this adapter

Hi
Release version

2.08.12 (February 28, 2011)
Interim version with bug fixes.

Release Fixes

boonyen
23rd March, 2011, 06:35 AM
Hi
Release version

Release Fixes

Added support for FT232H devices.
Resolved memory leak when D2XX only.
Fixed thread synchronisation issue which could cause application deadlock.
Fix to enable automatic hardware flow control if flow control is set after manually toggling RTS or DTR.
Resolved potential lock-up issue on surprise removal.
Resolved VCP open port hang on resume issue.
Resolved potential BSOD on surprise removal.
Fixed increasing COM port assignment issue when upgrading driver.
COM port now accessible without unplug/replug after changing COM port number in advanced property page.

I think that driver can help you

I have more then 1 adapter on the pc and its work

give me info fromyour adapter
works only with ft232 xx chip
regards

driver need password ??? thanks

nycautodiags
23rd March, 2011, 07:34 AM
Hi:
Let me make a Suggestion....Stick with Lenovo/Ibm Laptops.....T43 ,T60.R60....they have Com ports.....and Ibm has the Best results with Xentry systems

axlbat
24th March, 2011, 04:15 AM
the DELL D_series

D600, D610.... the D630 is the best.... search in ebay

axlbat
24th March, 2011, 04:16 AM
Hi
Release version

Release Fixes

Fix to enable automatic hardware flow control if flow control is set after manually toggling RTS or DTR.
COM port now accessible without unplug/replug after changing COM port number in advanced property page.

regards

hey bro send me MP password

boonyen
25th March, 2011, 06:30 AM
Hi
Release version

Release Fixes

regards

I'm using Bafo BF-810 usb to serial adapter, don't know what chip it use??:)

rogermcgomry
25th March, 2011, 07:37 AM
I searched a few months ago. I found a couple dell e-series with a com port (not the latest batch of e-series). E5500 for example. My ultimate decision was to get a computer without a serial port for two reasons (other than hard to find or expensive when found). I heard the biggest problem is with the cheap usb ftdi devices, and that a more expensive, better made chipset will work great. Also, if a better usb to rs232 still doesn't work, I'd just buy an older laptop, since anything that requires rs232 shouldn't need a very fast cpu anyway.

Maartinj
25th March, 2011, 09:27 AM
D630 XFR, Panasonic Cf-29, CF30 (core 2 duo) is also very good for most of car software

boonyen
29th March, 2011, 06:14 AM
I've found that my BAFO bf-810 using cliptec ZC-303 driver works with DAS diagnosis but cannot run CEASAR test and shows " PART D, device not found", I wonder why?

SlavGee
30th March, 2011, 04:51 PM
Dell D630 Forever!

sozberk
4th April, 2011, 11:27 AM
dell latitude e series included comport. i recommend e5510.

cuongttco
15th May, 2011, 06:14 PM
the newest is HP Elitebook 8560p, it has 1 com port and it is sandy brigde generation but it quite expensive: about 1000$

Shady
15th May, 2011, 06:19 PM
or get one of these
RS232 DB9 Serial Port CardBus PCMCIA Card *UK Seller* | eBay UK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RS232-DB9-Serial-Port-CardBus-PCMCIA-Card-UK-Seller-/380335912892?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_PCM CIACards&hash=item588dc977bc)

PierreTheron
15th May, 2011, 07:10 PM
Hi

Hp Compaq nc6320 also got 1 com port..

I saw thread on here somewhere that you can build in your own com port if you got the skills.:stickyman::adore:

defzero
2nd June, 2011, 01:53 AM
Get a "SYBA SD-EXP15005 1x Serial Port ExpressCard". Its a REAL serial port not usb based.