PDA

View Full Version : N*S gets hammered in court.....

alunfennell
10th December, 2008, 11:39 AM
N*S has been ordered by a federal judge to pay Echostar and Dish Network a total of 8.3m in attorney fees and costs. The ruling follows the long legal battle between Echostar and NDS.

In essence Echostar won its action against NDS but was awarded just 1500. US District Judge David Carter for the Central District of California issued his ruling last Thursday, but it was only made public Monday Dec 8. Echostar had sought damages of 184.8 million, plus 823 million in penalties and statutory damages of up to 1 billion.

“We are pleased that Judge Carter ordered NDS to pay us 8.3 million in fees and costs," Dish said in a statement. "We are pleased that both N*S and DISH Network can put this issue behind us and hope that we can collectively with other industry players work to ensure signal security in the future."

Source: RapidTVnews

felix1
10th December, 2008, 02:44 PM
erm.... isnt this old news?

alunfennell
10th December, 2008, 03:13 PM
only made public Monday Dec 8 so two days old.

h**p://rapidtvnews.com/index.php/200812082729/nds-must-pay-dish-$8.3m.html

Regards:
Alun

Fano
10th December, 2008, 03:24 PM
8m is peanuts to NDS.
Echostar and Dish Network were seeking a multi billion compensation deal.

alunfennell
10th December, 2008, 04:01 PM
oooh I know, but this will lead to more cases involving other providers that were using Nagravision, N*S hired Christopher Tarnovsky and Oliver Kommerling to hack Nagravision that now has been established and proven in a court of law in America, providers in Europe will most certainly follow.

The strategy N*S were playing was to open most of the other providers and expose them to piracy, so that when Encryption contracts ran out, there were more likely to switch over to N*S.

This is one reason I do not see Nagra 3 been hacked for a few years, because N*S can not afford to be implicated as they have been in the past with other major Encryptions been hacked.

This is only the tip of the Iceberg:

Interesting reading from erly this year
Rupert Murdoch Firm Goes on Trial for Alleged Tech Sabotage (http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2008/04/murdoch)

felix1
12th December, 2008, 06:21 PM
only made public Monday Dec 8 so two days old.

h**p://rapidtvnews.com/index.php/200812082729/nds-must-pay-dish-$8.3m.html

Regards:
Alun

on another forum they had this news Courtesy of Private Eye since the beginning of june this year.

no idea of private eyes website.

alunfennell
12th December, 2008, 06:32 PM
That why I mentoned In my post "Interesting reading from early this year" .

felix1
12th December, 2008, 08:38 PM
sorry alunfennell. im confused.

i meant the origianl post has been reported from the beginning of june in private eye.

maybe im reading things wrongly.

2tone
16th December, 2008, 10:40 PM
Christopher Tarnovsky the king of the hackers lol come back to the dark side

here he is at his work lol h**p://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lMOBY0rEGfY

.: JaCkPoT :.
16th December, 2008, 11:27 PM
We need him.... Lets all chip in for his early release lol

alunfennell
17th December, 2008, 12:32 AM
Better not send anything in the post, I belive thats how he got caught last time, Unlisted mailing address brown envelopes filled with cash, I dont think he would thank us .:guns:

Regards:
Alun