PDA

View Full Version : openbox crap epg and probs

webhead
20th March, 2011, 01:59 AM
anyone know how to get decent epg on this box it driving me insane ,only has now and next epg on all chans.

and how do you scroll through on epg to find whats on without it changing to the freaking channel ,i only want to see whats on without the dopy thing changing to the channel as in scroll through list to see.

not that you can see alot with this shit epg .

im beginning to think this box stinks. i had better epg on my dbox2

have latest firmware installed using a sky card and v3 remote cheers.

bernado
20th March, 2011, 08:53 AM
EPG is what it is, Now and Next, so that shouldn't come as a suprise to anyone. I agree with you about changing channels to access EPG data being a pain, but presumably the box doesn't store that info in a cache so pulls off the data live from the channel itself.
Sounds like you've gt a bit of a general downer on this box, but it works great for me. Having said that, if EPG info is massively important to you, you're going to be looking to get rid of this box soon as I don't think there's much chance of any general improvements in that area.

dell_xps
20th March, 2011, 10:07 AM
Only downside to this box the epg m8, apart from that for ?80 it's a wee cracker !!
If you want a full 7 day epg, your looking at the VU+ duo etc, not sure what the epg is like on the spiderboxes as I don't own one.
Vu+ duo (?340) v's Openbox (?80), stick with yer openbox m8 :-)

webhead
20th March, 2011, 01:42 PM
well it says 7 day epg on the box ,false advertising as usual ,why lie if it cant doit ,this is what makes people cheesed off , and yes its important as a sky box is nice and simple menus there great ,so i want 1 as simple as wife and kids hate this box.

you cant change peoples mind on stuff if its crap.

bix though pic is great but as to finding whats actualy on the telly its rubbish so why would anyone want a box if you got to buy a magazine to see whats on the whole point of digital is its digital all menus and epg work like an original sky box..

so yes this box is crap if you want nice menus easy to find channel listing and to actualy find out whats on .

so yes its going in the big forsale section .

i was looking at an azbox that looks impressive the stuff it can do but first ill find out if the epg works as i wont make same mistake twice.

dell_xps
20th March, 2011, 02:21 PM
If you can afford get a VU+ duo box m8, menu's are fantastic, epg is full 7 day, pic quality on par if not better than the open box, has twin tuners, record one channel and watch another.
You can stream to other computers in full HD, took me a few days to suss a few things out, like everything else it's a learning curve.
Openbox was my first step into the sat scene, and I still give it 9/10, for ease of setup etc, pic quality it's worth every penny, but as you say limited to what you can do with it.
Vu+, have a look at them m8, cant recommend one highly enough if you have the wonga.
HTH

bernado
20th March, 2011, 02:26 PM
It does support 7 day epg if whatever sat/provider hooked upto it sends it. So not false advertising, strictly speaking. I expect your dbox is using a plugin to give you the EPG you say you need; no such tweeks exist for S9 unfortunately.
So yes, if a full EPG is that important to you chuck your S9 and spend some dosh on some other, linux based hardware.
I'm thinking about getting a second box though, so I'll hapily look out for yours if you flog it:embarassed: