PDA

View Full Version : dont trust them

arky4
22nd March, 2011, 05:52 PM
small extension built had trademen back on several faults latest a bulge has appeared on inside wall about a half metere long and some small bumps elsewhere else they advised a screw has popped and it should be alright was not happy with that wanted a full plaster skim they said they would have a look my delemia is do i believe them and is there excuse resonable cheers

gmb45
22nd March, 2011, 06:45 PM
if the wall is a patitioning wall which is made of a wooden frame with plaster board screwed to it then skimmed with pink finish, then its possible the screws have popped, its unlikey u would get more than a couple of screws pop, if the wall is a solid wall ie brick or block then if your getting bulges or bumps appearing then the plaster hasnt stuck right and needs chopping off and re-doing, if you post some pics and give me a ,ore info on what the walls are made off i can advise better.

arky4
22nd March, 2011, 08:59 PM
stud wall partion its just i find it hard to fathom ripples further along from the oringional bump may be wet plaster board before construction what ever reason whats best soultion

gmb45
22nd March, 2011, 09:06 PM
wants re-doing m8, the finish should be as smooth as glass like, no matter what they tell you, there shouldnt be humps, bumps, ripples or what ever in it, i would insist they re-do it, with it being studded wall, it sounds like the boards are knackered, theres no excuse for a bad finish on a studded wall, its the easiest plastering job you could get.

arky4
22nd March, 2011, 09:31 PM
thanks for that they offered me a reduction in price which i refused plaster coming morn how long to think i should wait before paying them because problem arose after decoration

Fool2cool
22nd March, 2011, 09:52 PM
Demmand reduction due to inconvenience as well as them doing the job again, make sure the plaster board is straight and true as well, my parents have quite a few blow holes from screw heads all over the ceilings in their rennovated house, they refused to complain though, so good on you for not taking no for an answer.

Grizz
22nd March, 2011, 10:51 PM
just my opinion but if they contracted to do something and it was wrong you shouldnt be paying them to fix their mistake.

arky4
23rd March, 2011, 07:01 PM
my poser now is that the plaster thinks boards where wet when erected and now gives the wall a ripple effect and a bump manager wants me to agree to a skim but would it a fix for all time or should i hold out for new gyproc

Bulld0g
23rd March, 2011, 07:06 PM
Insist on them renewing the boards and doing a proper job. Do not accept any bodge up job.

cablefreejunkie
25th March, 2011, 07:32 PM
might be a good idea to mention to the said contractors that you have been in touch with local trading standards and they have advised you to ask for the work to rectified to a proper standard etc etc

arky4
30th March, 2011, 01:27 PM
sorry took so long getting back caught a virus on of all other things the problem was one side of room had standard boards other side insulating ones ie different thickness screws not long enough for insulating wall painter is coming morn looking flat now thanks for all replys