PDA

View Full Version : Series 60 mechanical tuning/modifications

amishmafia00
22nd March, 2011, 08:48 PM
well I started the series 60 programing only thread. and we started getting into mechanical tuning. so here is a thread for mechanical tuning.

i will try to keep adding some of the more important information here in the first post
a variable that is either on or off is refered to as a flag or bit, 1=set=on, 0=unset=off. example, someone may say, "set the boi_output_enable bit" or "turn on boi_output_enable"

amishmafia00
22nd March, 2011, 08:58 PM
well we had a stationary engine shear a cam dowel last week. we figured that the engine had not been properly timed so we fixed everything up and put it back together, checket the timing and took it out to test and it did the same thing again. we had it running for several minutes at idle, then for a couple of minutes at high idle (2000 rpm) then put a load on it. once we put a load on it it lasted maybe 30 seconds and just died!! took the valve cover off and sure enough sheared off the cam dowel. We just started tearing it down. is there anything you can think of ( other than loose cam bolt) that could cause this to happen when the engine gets a load on it?
Is there any way that my calibration could be causing this to happen? I took the calibration out of one of our trucks which has been running with it for 2 years no problem.

this is a stationary engine it spins a 2500lb 24 inch diameter drum at slightly less than engine speed. could the engine be responding too quickly and shearing off the dowel just due to the torsional forces?

I need help fast! any other ideas?

amishmafia00
23rd March, 2011, 12:14 AM
here are the calibrations the first one is the stock calibration
the second one is the calibration that I joined from the calibration in one of our trucks. maybe this will shed some light on the potential problem

I just thought about it, maybe this belings in the programming post? or maybe here. who knows

talmadge
23rd March, 2011, 11:09 PM
I would un bolt the rockers and see if the cam turns freely now ( dowel sheared) make sure it is not binding, when cam is out, is it being supported.It may have warped, how does the cam bearings look. it may be heat related failures ( getting hot and binding) Are the cam caps in the right position? :( That sucks it doing it twice. if I could not find any signs of binding I would use a stock program for sure.

amishmafia00
24th March, 2011, 01:27 PM
yes the dowel is definately sheared. I turned the cam by hand with the dowel sheared. The thing doesn't even run long enough to get hot. we sent the cam and gear to the machine shop to get 3 extra dowels put in it. we are also going to put loctite anerobic gasket sealer on the face of the cam. I turned the engine 2 full revolutions checking valve clearance every .020" cam lift and have plenty of valve clearance.

i'll probably turn my tune back a little and see if 4 dowels can handle it.

talmadge
25th March, 2011, 12:19 AM
Its hard to believe programming had something to do with it. Which cam bolt does it have the small one or the big one? I would look closely at the cam hole make sure the bolt isn't bottom out in hole before it seats on the gear. Make sure the bolt is not getting hydro locked. Is it the original cam, and head? Did it do major damage( valves hitting the pistons)? Looking at size of the dowel I sure it just for timing purposes . Are you getting a new cam bolt each time? I wish you the best of luck with it, let us know what you find

ddmech
25th March, 2011, 05:05 AM
when the cam goes it will all come unglued!Then better get head outa de way!

amishmafia00
25th March, 2011, 03:11 PM
we have the large cam bolt and it definately pulls the gear tight to the cam. when we take them out we keep them standing straight up. in adition to the extra dowels we used anerobic gasket sealer on the face of the cam. I got this idea from the attachment. maybe this will help a little

talmadge
26th March, 2011, 03:39 AM
(once we put a load on it it lasted maybe 30 seconds and just died) Did it do major damage? If it didnt did it do damage the first time? I am assuming it did.

amishmafia00
29th March, 2011, 01:57 AM
many bent valves both times. we finally got it running today with the redoweled cam and the stock program. it's not quite enough power to run the machine wide open. i'm looking to add about 100-150 hp. i'm a little hesitant to put in the calibration from when it sheared the dowel. i'm going to go little by little and see where I end up. maybe i'll take some video so people can see .

ddmech
29th March, 2011, 04:16 AM
How much hp difference did the calibration make?

amishmafia00
29th March, 2011, 04:24 AM
I'm not sure how much hp was actually gained. but i know that for the few seconds the engine did run. when the load was applied the engine screamed. i've never heard anything like it from a diesel. if you go above you can download the before and after cal and do a compare to see what all i changed

amishmafia00
19th April, 2011, 04:41 AM
does anyone know what is diferent between diferent cams?
why do they have diferent injector heights?

dieselman77
19th April, 2011, 05:07 AM
I think the different injector height has to do with timing the fuel delivery i think ddec 3 4 5 all use a different height tool

amishmafia00
19th April, 2011, 05:49 AM
ok, that makes sense, so when DD says use a 70.8 tool with this cam, what they are really saying is, the ecm on the engine that uses this cam is programed to a 70.8 injector height?

Edit: does the injector height change because the injector lobes on the cam are different on diferent cams. or does the injector height change because the timing values in the ecm are different?

amishmafia00
12th June, 2012, 06:50 PM
does anyone know why they got rid of the restricted fitting and changed the fuel pump on the ddecV?

ddmech
12th June, 2012, 07:45 PM
They changed to the n3 injectors.They dont need as much backpressure.Fuel press maxes at about 28 lb.Also uses higher fuel flow to cool injectors better.