PDA

View Full Version : Boot error

rex89
27th March, 2011, 08:50 AM
Hi, I restored the image of my pc norton ghost on one computer copy of it is finished but on reboot I have this error at boot Disuqi Drive:
Not a directory
boot not found
Can not open
Stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40) / boot
Thanks for your help
Best Regards

Messa
27th March, 2011, 11:57 AM
Hi, I restored the image of my pc norton ghost on one computer copy of it is finished but on reboot I have this error at boot Disuqi Drive:
Not a directory
boot not found
Can not open
Stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40) / boot
Thanks for your help
Best Regards

Are you installing on a partition >2TB ?

rex89
27th March, 2011, 05:22 PM
No is a partition of 80 gb

Sirus
28th March, 2011, 12:29 AM
I'm no partitioning expert, but I have installed ubuntu a few times and I know that you have to assign a /boot for the system... So try putting in the linux cd and going to the drive partitioning part, then assign that 80gb partition as /boot

InF3sted
13th April, 2011, 09:52 AM
U need to install boot loader again GRUB,when u try to restore partitions from image it will not work just like that on linux :)

ceylan68
20th August, 2011, 01:22 AM
where kan i find bootloader 67 ?
thanks

s0lid
5th December, 2011, 06:20 PM
you just need to install grub. It should be on your MBR what flavor of linux are you using?

rex89
17th March, 2012, 06:52 AM
Hi, after all this time I never managed to fix this error, I do not understand it, if every time we can explain as clearly, this could help me.
Best regards

jeff114
17th March, 2012, 09:30 AM
Hello,
which distro do you use?

pickledfrog
18th March, 2012, 06:30 PM
Need more information to help work out the problem:
how many partition on the hard drive is it only the one,
which OS are you trying to boot, Windows or Linux,
is the drive marked as active to load the first drive or do you have a bootloader i.e. Grub

Egren71
19th March, 2012, 08:45 PM
I would agree with pickledfrog
At the very least we need to know
1. What OS was on the image you restored - Window (Which version), Linux, Or other (Which one)
2. Is it actually Norton Ghost you are using or something that does the same job
3. The disc you are restoring to is it the same type as the one the image was created on i.e. Both Sata or both IDE on one of each
4. Was there anything on the disc you are restoring to before you restored to it. If yes what OS.
5. Probably a lot more info but this would be a good start.

Finally i would like to say i admire your persistence. After a year i would have given up.

rex89
24th March, 2012, 06:43 AM
Hi,image restoration he got two systems, Unix, SCO OpenServer and Windows XP, this is the image of a disk of 80 GB, but I restored to a disk of 160 GB, I heard that the geometry of the original disk could also affect this error?

Egren71
25th March, 2012, 01:36 AM
I don't know any specifics of SCO as i have never used proper Unix.
So my best guess would be the boot loader. Which on a Linux system is normally Grub but can Lilo or something else, but i don't know what it is on SCO.
I don't know if Norton understands SCO (or come to that Linux) boot loaders. My guess is that it, or at least your version doesn't
So what i would look into would be how to reinstall the boot loader in SCO. Or possibly from Win XP.

My best guess and i reiterate here that i know nothing about SCO Unix would be to use something like the Super grub 2 disk here (http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/) or something SCO specific if you can find such a thing , and use that to try to boot into the SCO Operating System or XP. Once in SCO or XP then try to repair the boot loader from there.

There does appear to be some issues of SCO not playing well with other boot loaders if you search the internet. So it might be worth booting into both SCO and XP and see if either will let you repair the boot loader in such a way that lets you dual boot.

There also appears to be the option of booting into Grub and then chain loading the SCO's own boot loader.

Personally, and others may have had issues, i have never had issues with disk geometry as that is dealt with by the bios i think.
But if you have gone from IDE to SATA then the way your disks are referred to by your boot loader may have changed. As at least in Grub IDE is referred to as hda and and SATA is referred to as sda.

Have i mentioned i don't know anything about SCO? So this is not a solution or a guide it is just what i would do in trying to find a solution.

rex89
25th March, 2012, 02:09 PM
Hi , it's SCO openserver 5.0.7

pickledfrog
26th March, 2012, 12:48 AM
Is XP on the first partition and SCO on the second??? have they been swapped around on to a new harddrive??
do you have any boot disks for XP or SCO?

give Egren71 suggestion of Super grub 2 a go first,
if that doesn't boot either system then read this Dual-Booting Windows NT and SCO UNIX (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/105309)

you could reset your MBR using Xp installation disk & recovery console Master Boot Record - How To Repair the Master Boot Record In Windows XP - Fixmbr (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairmbr.htm) then use GRUB4DOS and WINGRUB | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net (http://sourceforge.net/projects/grub4dos/) to install a boot manager to boot XP and SCO.

found these pages after searching "SCO" & "Stage 1 boot failure" http://docsrv.sco.com:507/en/HANDBOOK/sstT.boot_not_found.html

it's on the SCO UnixWare 7 site But you need your bootdisk that was made during your installation.

sky2010
30th March, 2012, 12:01 AM
thanks more