PDA

View Full Version : Where will the dish go?

on_the_jazz
10th December, 2008, 08:37 PM
Ok here is my dilemma -

I want a motorized set up... but my house faces east and I can only put a dish on the front wall (facing east), back wall (facing west), or back garden.

My first thought was to mount it on the back wall peeking over the roof line so it can see both east and west satellites. However, I have read up on the internet (Where Can I Put My Satellite Dish? (http://www.wheredoiputmysatellitedish.co.uk/)) and apparently you cannot do this without planning permission :(

Is it possible to have 2 satellite dishes (one at the front of the house and one at the back, both going into one receiver?) :hmmmm2:

Does anyone have any ideas or should I just give up?

edit: the roof is flat so to get the satellites in the east some of the dish will have to go over the roof line (unless I get a really really really long pole - but I doubt thats a good idea ;))

krazylegz
10th December, 2008, 09:01 PM
my house is the same way as yours and i had to mount it on a pole...see attatched pics

on_the_jazz
10th December, 2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the quick reply krazy. Is it a 90cm dish? Don't you need planning permission though? or don't neighbours complain? And also what bracket are you using?

edit: ah ok but the peak of your roof is above the dish. Mine won't be because its completely flat :(

krazylegz
10th December, 2008, 09:27 PM
no mate you dont need planning permission for anything under 100cm (i think lol)...yeah mine is a 90cm held od with 'T' & 'K' brackets and ~~~~ the neighbours its my house lol

benny/9
10th December, 2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the quick reply krazy. Is it a 90cm dish? Don't you need planning permission though? or don't neighbours complain? And also what bracket are you using?
unless you live in a listed building or live in a area of national interest in the uk you can use a dish upto 1mtr without planning permission and you can fit two dishes to a premisses, the second dish
must not exceed 60cm

on_the_jazz
10th December, 2008, 10:17 PM
unless you live in a listed building or live in a area of national interest in the uk you can use a dish upto 1mtr without planning permission and you can fit two dishes to a premisses, the second dish
must not exceed 60cm

The one I want is only 1m so thats great, but can the dish go above the roof line Benny?

on_the_jazz
10th December, 2008, 10:20 PM
no mate you dont need planning permission for anything under 100cm (i think lol)...yeah mine is a 90cm held od with 'T' & 'K' brackets and ~~~~ the neighbours its my house lol

You sound like a delightful neighbour ;) lol
Yeah everyone seems to rate the T&K brackets... looks like my budget is going to have to go up again heheh :party :

benny/9
10th December, 2008, 10:22 PM
The one I want is only 1m so thats great, but can the dish go above the roof line Benny?
yes mate i had a 1mtr on a pole looking over the roof
just make sure it's on a strong pole to stop the wind
flexing the dish. i had mine on a length of scaffold tube
i now have a 1.2 on the side wall on a 3" mount

on_the_jazz
10th December, 2008, 10:31 PM
yes mate i had a 1mtr on a pole looking over the roof
just make sure it's on a strong pole to stop the wind
flexing the dish. i had mine on a length of scaffold tube
i now have a 1.2 on the side wall on a 3" mount

Woohoo! Time to place my order :jiggin:

krazylegz
10th December, 2008, 10:35 PM
make sure you buy a long pole as possible and space out the brackets for more stability....gunna space mine out more when i get my 1.2

on_the_jazz
10th December, 2008, 10:39 PM
make sure you buy a long pole as possible and space out the brackets for more stability....gunna space mine out more when i get my 1.2

How long is your pole? (ooo er).

westkill
10th December, 2008, 10:43 PM
just an idea can you not put it in the back garden with a scaffold tube put in the ground :)

on_the_jazz
10th December, 2008, 11:56 PM
just an idea can you not put it in the back garden with a scaffold tube put in the ground :)

I'll have to dig out a protractor, some string, and bluetack. I take it I just check that the angle from where I want the dish to the top of the roof is less than 28.2 degrees?
I can almost guarantee it will be much more than this but I may as well check ;)

.: JaCkPoT :.
11th December, 2008, 12:21 AM
A 6foot scaffolding pole is probably best with a 60 cm spacing.