PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 or XP

steppenwolf
29th March, 2011, 10:00 AM
My friend recently bought some lappy eMachines E442 and in the service they have told him that he can't install win XP on it. Just Win 7 or Vista. Now he is running Win 7 but I am wondering is it possible to install XP and more is it possible to have them both on different partitions?

Thanks!

allycoops
29th March, 2011, 10:18 AM
Hello Mate.

There are no drivers for XP for that model only win7 so although you could install xp on a different partition and dual boot it would be no good really

eMachines Support - Downloads & Support Documents - Notebook / E Series / E442 (http://support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/product/default.aspx?tab=2&modelId=3286)

Cod3waX
29th March, 2011, 10:50 AM
WHY?? why would u want to put xp on a machine after seeing/using 7?

steppenwolf
29th March, 2011, 10:56 AM
WHY?? why would u want to put xp on a machine after seeing/using 7?

Cause I need it for some car software which is not compatible with WIn7

lagerland
29th March, 2011, 11:02 AM
Win 7 is good but if you have a lot of older software you wiil find it dont work with 7 or vista to many clashes.........

allycoops
29th March, 2011, 12:34 PM
Can you not run it in win7 under XP mode??

Download Windows XP Mode (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx)

Cod3waX
29th March, 2011, 01:49 PM
i think this might work havent tryed it myself find and download Hirens 12 burn it to disc and boot it up b4 logon to windows and select the option MINI XP u might beable to instal ur program that way and use it other than that use the compatabiltity mode for ur program

oneman
29th March, 2011, 02:00 PM
Assuming there is a not a high hardware requirement for the software then you can use something like XP Mode (if using Win7 Pro or above), VMWare workstation or virtualbox (free VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) ) to install XP as an application running on top of Win7.

XPMode includes a XP license, with VMWare workstation or virtualbox you will need to provide your own XP licence, same as if you were going to do a parallel installation on a seperate partition.

I would recommend a dual core CPU with at least 2GB of RAM as you will be running two O/S at the same time.

manino1
16th April, 2011, 03:46 PM
Windows 7 is superior than Windows XP, especially in security if that is important to you

little pob
16th April, 2011, 05:21 PM
Usually Emachines use white label parts. If you can find the base model or mainboard manufacturer you can check to see if they do the XP drivers.

You will likely have trouble getting the XP drivers for the GFx, wifi, bluetooth and card reader. Some functions of the keyboard may not work with the basic XP keyboard driver (e.g. the [Fn] key and any multimedia keys).

For what it's worth, XP can not see more than 4GB of memory address space. With a 256MB graphics card you will likely be able to use a maximum of 3.5GB RAM. Yes, the maths is a little iffy but a 512MB graphics card will only allow Windows to see approx 3.15GB with 4GB installed.

SouthernComfort
16th April, 2011, 09:29 PM
My friend recently bought some lappy eMachines E442 and in the service they have told him that he can't install win XP on it. Just Win 7 or Vista. Now he is running Win 7 but I am wondering is it possible to install XP and more is it possible to have them both on different partitions?

Thanks!
If you don't mind formatting, format, create partitions, install windows xp, install driver genius, update. Then install windows 7 to separate partition. You should be fine to dual boot from there or as mentioned run in compatibility mode for XP.
Xp should be first, though personally i still prefer XP>W7.

pirilla
16th April, 2011, 09:38 PM
Assuming there is a not a high hardware requirement for the software then you can use something like XP Mode (if using Win7 Pro or above), VMWare workstation or virtualbox (free VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) ) to install XP as an application running on top of Win7.

XPMode includes a XP license, with VMWare workstation or virtualbox you will need to provide your own XP licence, same as if you were going to do a parallel installation on a seperate partition.

I would recommend a dual core CPU with at least 2GB of RAM as you will be running two O/S at the same time.

VirtualMachine is the best option.
Is the way I can run WinXP software under Win7 with no problems.

cunny
17th April, 2011, 04:25 PM

Thanks!

It is possible yes, and as regards to drivers? Should not be a big issue if you just want to run software. As for gateway support for xp drivers, i would go direct to vendor (ie realtek for audio) and check there for drivers for the hardware. Most likely it'll be there :)

DSMKilla
21st April, 2011, 08:17 AM
XP still has it's place for a lot of things so I can understand where the OP is coming from. Personally I still have an old dell laptop that I keep in MINT condition that has a parallel port, serial port, and XP on it just for the specific reason that I have a lot of older devices that still need those ports etc.

So you could always consider checking fleabay or craigs list and picking up an older laptop. I only paid like $150 for mine and I'm sure you could find one even cheaper now a days.

Just a thought :)

dhruva55
30th April, 2011, 12:27 AM
XP still has it's place for a lot of things so I can understand where the OP is coming from. Personally I still have an old dell laptop that I keep in MINT condition that has a parallel port, serial port, and XP on it just for the specific reason that I have a lot of older devices that still need those ports etc.

So you could always consider checking fleabay or craigs list and picking up an older laptop. I only paid like $150 for mine and I'm sure you could find one even cheaper now a days.

Just a thought :)

yeah i agree with this chap ;)

janners
30th April, 2011, 03:53 AM
Retrive vendor id from all hardware in management console on your pc. google the id`s, then you have a vendors name to search software from. there are xp drivers to find to all hardware, but only 32bit sys, sometimes with less functions compare to ex. win 7 drivers. remember,,, install xp to a SATA drive you must add a sata driver made for the chipset in your pc, to the install cd, or add it from ex. a usb-floppy drive as 3part driver / software during the start of install. I have done that with 3 laptops build with no support or drivers for win xp on the products homepage.
I still prefer xp pro as my no.1 OS, but have just bought a win 7 lap, and when learn to use 7,, there are a lot of functions you dont wanna loose again, to revert to xp.

Great www you have here, think it will take a lot of my time in the future...........