PDA

View Full Version : acer one netbooks

j.sinclair7
10th December, 2008, 10:26 PM
just bought the above for my daughter for xmas for general web browsing and homework my question is, its linux operating system and can i install windows xp over it? It has 120gb hhd so plenty there and 1gb ram its just all the drivers for hardware could b a problem but there is the same models out there with xp installed but for alot more money. so there must b drivers out there for this model. what u guys think?
P.S. dont wont to brick the netbook before santa even delivers it;)

Nj2006
10th December, 2008, 10:28 PM
yep you can do that if you want and drivers shouldnt be an issue either.

but then i would argue that some linux platforms are better than xp anywayz .

j.sinclair7
10th December, 2008, 11:15 PM
i understand that ni2006, but my daughter is still at school and all they use or all she has ever known is xp. But thanks for the answer i'll get crackin before santa comes :rofl:

Jaffa
10th December, 2008, 11:21 PM
You wont brick it m8, the drivers are more than likely on the Acer site as nj said, although there is no cd on the netbook so you will need to put XP on with a usb drive. Its pretty easy and is similar to using a cd except you set the bios to boot from usb. A lot of people do it that way because its cheaper than buying the one wit XP.

j.sinclair7
11th December, 2008, 11:06 AM
thanks jaffa where do i get the usb xp file or do i transfer xp from cd to usb. i've not done usb install so dont know how to thanks.

Jaffa
11th December, 2008, 12:56 PM
Basically you transfer XP to the usb but it needs some other files. There are lots of tutorials for doing it, I think I have some bookmarked at home but a google search will find you loads like this,

Install Windows XP on a Mini-Note (USB stick method) (http://www.liliputing.com/2008/04/install-windows-xp-on-mini-note-usb.html)

Neil
11th December, 2008, 01:34 PM
What are this Atom based netbooks like speed wise?

Are they any good running Office 2003 or does the lack of speed make it a painful experience?

I am tempted to buy one but would hate to find it toooo slow to use.

Jaffa
11th December, 2008, 02:08 PM
What are this Atom based netbooks like speed wise?

Are they any good running Office 2003 or does the lack of speed make it a painful experience?

I am tempted to buy one but would hate to find it toooo slow to use.

The Samsung NC10 is spot on m8, you wouldnt even know it was an atom processor, not slow at all. I just got my m8 to prove it to me so I could answer you, I started up Office quickly and used powerpoint, just as quick as on my Core2duo lappy I would say. (it may not be as quick but I spotted no difference)

elhefe
11th December, 2008, 02:21 PM
what about putting ubuntu on it? it will run much faster on it. and theres plenty of support on the ubuntu website. there is even a page on the website for setting up on these acer netbooks.

Neil
11th December, 2008, 03:22 PM
The Samsung NC10 is spot on m8, you wouldnt even know it was an atom processor, not slow at all. I just got my m8 to prove it to me so I could answer you, I started up Office quickly and used powerpoint, just as quick as on my Core2duo lappy I would say. (it may not be as quick but I spotted no difference)

You have got me drooling now :D