PDA

View Full Version : What Vegetables are you Planning on Planting this Year?

Evastar
2nd April, 2011, 03:20 PM
just dug my veg plot, fertilised it with ashes from the fire (been saving them all winter in a galvanised dustbin) and planted peas, onions, carrots, red onions, lettuce and strawberries. :)

i planted rhubarb as well, but it won't be ready until next year.

and i planted tomato seeds about a month ago indoors, the seedlings are coming along nicely, i repotted them today, won't put them outdoors until may though.

i have watermelon seeds there as well, but can't plant them for another few weeks, not warm enough yet.

what's everyone else growing?

cactikid
2nd April, 2011, 04:18 PM
dandelions,nettles and thistles:giveup::ahhhhh::fisheye:

Evastar
2nd April, 2011, 04:43 PM
dandelions,nettles and thistles:giveup::ahhhhh::fisheye:

and you with greenhouses you dont use :(

i have some spare tomato seedlings if you want them. when is the cactus show on? could give you them then :)

cactikid
2nd April, 2011, 05:34 PM
all benches in greenhouse,filled with crap needs sorting out,have to recheck date for show when i find booklet.

daithi
3rd April, 2011, 07:30 PM
whats the show guys sounds good
ive lettuce, carrots chives and parsley
not doing much his year as im a bit busy later on in the summer
i also bought rasberry plants in lidl that ive to sow yet

Evastar
3rd April, 2011, 07:33 PM
it's the cactus show, its on every second year in the botanic gardens

daithi
3rd April, 2011, 07:47 PM
ya i see its on the 28th may might go
for the laugh
havent been there before

gmb45
3rd April, 2011, 09:19 PM
well so far ive got onions and garlic sprouting in me garden, the spuds have gone in, but im holding off planting me carrots, parsnips, beetroot, peas, runner beans as theres still chance of frosts which will ~~~~ the seeds up because they arnt planted very deep, unless you cover them up with something at night, onions and garlic are frost resistant, and the spuds are planted deeper so they ok, av also got tommys and peppers growing in doors :)

cactikid
3rd April, 2011, 09:33 PM
British Cactus and Succulent Society - Home Page (http://www.bcss.org.uk/)
irelandcactus - 2010 (http://www.irelandcactus.com/2011.htm)
show open from 13.00-17.00 sat and sunday

Messa
3rd April, 2011, 09:59 PM
Wayne Rooney, if I see him

:)

Evastar
4th April, 2011, 05:57 PM
Wayne Rooney, if I see him

:)

he'd have to pay someone to eat him! :roflmao:

nush
5th April, 2011, 05:26 PM
he'd have to pay someone to eat him! :roflmao:

i feel sure hes done that before.

we have planted
spuds, strawberries, rhubarb, asparagus, radish, onions, leeks, toms, peppers, cucumber, peas, french beans, lettuce, squash, spinach and purple sprouting broccoli. weve also gained an apple tree a plum tree and a pear tree courtesy of my mum and dad moving house and not wanting them any more. thats it for now i think.
nush

thered
10th April, 2011, 09:40 PM
just dug my veg plot, fertilised it with ashes from the fire (been saving them all winter in a galvanised dustbin) and planted peas, onions, carrots, red onions, lettuce and strawberries. :)

i planted rhubarb as well, but it won't be ready until next year.

and i planted tomato seeds about a month ago indoors, the seedlings are coming along nicely, i repotted them today, won't put them outdoors until may though.

i have watermelon seeds there as well, but can't plant them for another few weeks, not warm enough yet.

what's everyone else growing?

blueberries and raspberries i got a few fruit trees that should start producing this year and my rhubarb should be good this year too

after that i think some sugar snap peas they did well last year as did my beetroots

i think i will avoid broccoli and sprouts as they were a nightmare with cabbage whites and caterpillars

i lost my carrots to carrot fly too

Evastar
10th April, 2011, 09:43 PM
i had broccoli last year but got eaten by butterflies, my turnips didnt do very well either.

carrots were okay though because i planted onions beside them, is meant to stop the carrot fly from scenting them, so you might give that a go.

another tip i heard for carrots is to plant them in elevated pots as the carrot flies can only fly a couple of inches off ground level, not sure how true that is though.

cactikid
10th April, 2011, 09:57 PM
jeyes fluid works also,the smell is so strong the neighbours 3 gardens away will smell it

Evastar
10th April, 2011, 09:58 PM
would jeyes fluid not kill all your veg cacti?

cactikid
10th April, 2011, 10:20 PM
no if used in correct ratio see below.

Jeyes fluid guide - uses for Jeyes fluid in the home and garden! (http://www.scribd.com/doc/28500453/Jeyes-fluid-guide-uses-for-Jeyes-fluid-in-the-home-and-garden)

what veg lol

firestorm
10th April, 2011, 10:54 PM
weed lol lol:canabis:lol lol

thered
11th April, 2011, 07:13 PM
i had broccoli last year but got eaten by butterflies, my turnips didnt do very well either.

carrots were okay though because i planted onions beside them, is meant to stop the carrot fly from scenting them, so you might give that a go.

another tip i heard for carrots is to plant them in elevated pots as the carrot flies can only fly a couple of inches off ground level, not sure how true that is though.

i did i planted them in raised bed about 12" high (but i suppose the raised bed becomes the floor to a fly tbh)

they left holes in my carrots all the way through they must be the maggots that do all the damage

i have heard onions do help also so i may try this year

i heard marigolds help your brassicas too i had netting all round last year and even then getting rid of butterflies and caterpillars was a full time job i used to pull around 70 caterpaillars from plants at every time i checked them and i must of looked mad chasing butterflies all round the garden for about 2 month i got hundreds

i made the mistake of doing broccoli and sprouts they muxt have smelt them for miles

one thing i was surprised with was the brocolli it soon turns into a flower i was waiting for it to grow and grow i come out one day and it was big yellow flowers so i lost half my crop

so a tip if you are planting broccoli make sure you harvest it quick because if your expecting the florets to get bigger they dont really they just turn to yellow flowers

i also grew turnip too mine were a bit of a disaster but only becuse i didnt thin them i ended up leaving them far too long all together so i ended up with loads of tiny ones

success wise sugar snap peas,beetroot and my sprouts were superb but like i said earlier they were hard work with the butterflies

if i could find some good netting cheapish that only lets water and light through i would grow all brassicas caulie,broccoli cabbage and sprouts as they are easy to grow and would save a few quid

cactikid
11th April, 2011, 09:31 PM
Naphthalene was another product i used crushed mothballs

Evastar
11th April, 2011, 09:35 PM
@the red - i lost a lot of broccoli that way too :(

@cacti - sounds really organic your garden :roflmao:

true grit
15th April, 2011, 09:49 PM
Im going to try to make my own tomato feed this year, any of you gals and guys any recipes?

Evastar
17th April, 2011, 02:43 PM
my peas, lettuce and carrot seedlings are up, well some of them anyway, no sign of the onions yet though.

am thinking of transplanting my tomato plants to outside, they are about 5 - 6 inches tall at this stage, is it still too early or should they be okay?

cactikid
17th April, 2011, 09:12 PM
dont plant tomatoes until first flowers are formed,might be a bit early for outside planting as i will send a chill over to you.

Evastar
21st April, 2011, 08:28 PM
repotted my tomatoes and planted them out on tuesday, seem to be doing nicely :)

i know there's still a chance of frost but i couldn't leave them indoors any longer, they needed to be potted on and were taking up half the kitchen as it was.

my lettuce, peas and carrots are coming along nicely, still no sign of the onions

Kalipo
22nd April, 2011, 09:02 PM
im planting a 15 5ft fence posts this year :).. im also gaining land to the rear.. 10ft to the left and 4ft to the right (at the back - cant expand sideways )..

Then im going to build my pond..

Evastar
22nd April, 2011, 09:03 PM
im planting a 15 5ft fence posts this year :).. im also gaining land to the rear.. 10ft to the left and 4ft to the right (at the back - cant expand sideways )..

Then im going to build my pond..

how are you getting the extra land? :)

Kalipo
22nd April, 2011, 09:07 PM
how are you getting the extra land? :)

Stealing it from network rail.. theres a old footpath to the rear of the current fence.. which is 8ft wide on the left side of my back fence and 4ft wide on the right.. network rail say we can have it as long as we maintain it lol..

footpath not been used in 20 years.. so its now just bramble and trees.. its never had tarmac or concrete.. its just a mud path..

Evastar
22nd April, 2011, 09:11 PM
thats great :)

what about the neighbours, are they going to do the same?

Kalipo
22nd April, 2011, 09:17 PM
down the street quite a few have already.. our nextdoor neighbours.. whos house we used to have is also doing it at the same time as us.. we're doing one continuous fence across the 2 gardens.. theyre semi detached houses so not so bad..

oh and my apple seeds have just started to open lol

Evastar
22nd April, 2011, 09:21 PM
nice, what did you do with the apple seeds in the end to germinate them? :)

Kalipo
22nd April, 2011, 09:26 PM
Theyre in a plastic curry tub.. wet paper towel and stored ontop of the boiler..

Ill wait till the stem has come out a quater inch and plant it and dome over the top :)

Evastar
22nd April, 2011, 09:28 PM
plant in the garden or in pots? might be better in a pot for a year or so?

Kalipo
22nd April, 2011, 09:37 PM
plant in the garden or in pots? might be better in a pot for a year or so?

Thats what i ment.. they wouldnt survive in the ground anyway.. lol

cactikid
22nd April, 2011, 09:40 PM
i presume you know most fruit trees are grafted for vigour.

Kalipo
22nd April, 2011, 09:48 PM
i presume you know most fruit trees are grafted for vigour.

quite, i have 2 seedlings on the go :) and plenty of bee's in the garden :)..

toon74
26th April, 2011, 09:07 PM
hi all , just found this thread . stuff i have in so far are :-

peas , runner beans , sprouts , carrots , brocoli , purple brocoli , courgettes , beetroot , spinach beet , onions , garlic , spuds , sweetcorn , asparagus ( should come this yr as been in 3 yr ) cabbage , cauliflower , sprouts , chillis , sweet pepper , toms , lettuce and finally parsnips . got other side of garden to sort so might get some more stuff in .

a great tip an old bloke told me was to grow my carrots in toilet roll tubes in boxes ( the old council recycling ones are ideal ) . it keeps the carrot fly off and forces them to grow straight .

Evastar
26th April, 2011, 10:17 PM
hi all , just found this thread . stuff i have in so far are :-

peas , runner beans , sprouts , carrots , brocoli , purple brocoli , courgettes , beetroot , spinach beet , onions , garlic , spuds , sweetcorn , asparagus ( should come this yr as been in 3 yr ) cabbage , cauliflower , sprouts , chillis , sweet pepper , toms , lettuce and finally parsnips . got other side of garden to sort so might get some more stuff in .

a great tip an old bloke told me was to grow my carrots in toilet roll tubes in boxes ( the old council recycling ones are ideal ) . it keeps the carrot fly off and forces them to grow straight .

sounds like you are an avid gardener :)

so how do you do the toilet roll tubes in boxes exactly? plant the carrot seeds in the cardboard tubes? its too late for this year now anyway, but if they get carrot fly i might try it next year.

toon74
27th April, 2011, 01:09 PM
hi eva , once i have saved enough tubes i fill them with compost and put 3/4 seeds in each one . stand the tubes in a seed tray and put some selotape around the outside to stop them falling . place them in the greenhouse or on a windowsill until they start to show and then just thin them out to 1 in each tube . once big enough ( about an inch ) i just fill an old black reycling box with compost and transplant tubes in . i have done this with parsnips aswell with great results . defo not to late to start off some autumn gold now . only had my garden 3 years now and love it , my own little corner of england . lol .

fireblade1
29th April, 2011, 09:12 PM
think i might plant a few. peas carrots onions, and lots of others need to save money :)

fireblade.

Evastar
8th May, 2011, 03:56 PM
my tomatoes are coming along nicely, just tied the plants to trellis for support this afternoon, did the same with my pea plants.

i planted more lettuce today as well and some water melons. if you plant a few lettuce every couple of weeks will keep you going all summer, rather than having them all ready at the same time :)

the onions and carrots are all up but plants not very big yet.

fireblade1
8th May, 2011, 03:58 PM
sound like they are coming on really good eva. have not planted any yet aint had no time but will do soon hopefully :)

fireblade.

Evastar
8th May, 2011, 04:02 PM
sound like they are coming on really good eva. have not planted any yet aint had no time but will do soon hopefully :)

fireblade.

have you got a veg plot dug? and what kind of fertiliser you planning on using? i've been using ashes from the fire, collected them in a galvanised dustbin all winter. and of course will have ashes from chiminea now to use as well :)

fireblade1
8th May, 2011, 04:12 PM
have you got a veg plot dug? and what kind of fertiliser you planning on using? i've been using ashes from the fire, collected them in a galvanised dustbin all winter. and of course will have ashes from chiminea now to use as well :)

no haven't got one yet Eva but i am going to dig one soon not sure what fertilizer i am going to use what would you recommend there Eva?

fireblade.

Evastar
8th May, 2011, 04:20 PM
well it really depends on what you are planning on growing, also what type of soil you have. some people keep a compost bin and use the compost from that, some people swear by manure, my dad always used to use sulphate of potash.

your best bet is probably to go to your local garden centre and ask them, they will know what soil is prevalent locally and what most people around your area choose to use.

Bulld0g
8th May, 2011, 04:22 PM
If shite is good for growing veg, print off some of Gmb's posts and grow them in that, they are pure shite :roflmao:

cactikid
8th May, 2011, 04:44 PM
YouTube - Phostrogen Plant Food - for all the garden
YouTube - Gardening Tips - Tomato Plants
with fertilisers it depends what the crop you grow as different things need different amount of n.p.k

Evastar
12th May, 2011, 11:57 AM
i decided to put a fence around my veg plot to keep any pets out, so went to the builders providers and got six 4 ft stakes, staples and a roll of chicken wire. i've hammered the stakes in around a foot and am stapling the wire to them.

i'm making an entrance between two of the stakes, and my current thinking is to use bamboo canes attached to chicken wire and have the ends attached to the stakes in a way that i can open it. anyone else got any suggestions for me? :)

Evastar
29th May, 2011, 04:13 PM
put the chicken wire fencing up but have decided i dont like it lol

so anyone got any other suggestions, i was thinking of maybe getting some wooden trellis and using that?

andy1967
5th June, 2011, 07:19 PM
i decided to put a fence around my veg plot to keep any pets out, so went to the builders providers and got six 4 ft stakes, staples and a roll of chicken wire. i've hammered the stakes in around a foot and am stapling the wire to them.

i'm making an entrance between two of the stakes, and my current thinking is to use bamboo canes attached to chicken wire and have the ends attached to the stakes in a way that i can open it. anyone else got any suggestions for me? :)
You probably don't need a gate, just step over your frame it shouldn't be to high.

Evastar
6th June, 2011, 11:38 AM
i've decided that it looks awful so am going to get rid of it lol

just not quite sure what to replace it with, maybe some wooden trellis? it needs to be able to stop a cat or dog getting through, i can put netting on the top to stop birds etc

Kalipo
11th June, 2011, 07:26 PM
Just sieved the hole of my compost bin.. got 4 bags full of the stuff..

And because theres no draught and hosepipe ban in the area i washed all the muck that was spilt away...