PDA

View Full Version : router

harebelljohn
11th December, 2008, 03:48 PM
Any body know how to set-up a second wireless route , to act as a access point on a home network, already have one wireless router connected, can access the internet from any of the routers, but can't get my sons XBOX 360 to connect to the internet, 360 is hard wired to the second router
:willy:

tb888
14th December, 2008, 05:07 PM
Your problem seems strange, so you can use http traffic over the network from the inside router to outside, but not traffic from the xbox. What other services have you tried from the inside router to the internet?
What does the network configuration screen on the xbox say when you attempt to connect?
What brand and model are each of the two routers (useful to see its capabilities) ?.

Anyway (enough with the questions), the first thing I would look at is how the DHCP servers in each of them are setup.

I have my network setup like this (because I'm too cheap to buy the proper equipment), what you generally have to do is to tell each router to hand out IP addresses in different ranges, so one could be say 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254, and the other to say 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.254. It's also usually a good idea to tell the 'inside' one (the one with its wan port connected to a lan port of the other) explicitly to use the other as its gateway (though it should get it on its own, mine don't do this very well because the were very cheap).

uh, I'm not sure how good my explanation was - if it doesn't make sense, say to me.

harebelljohn
16th December, 2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks for your help will try, what you suggest, I think need to turn off DHCP on the second wireless router , working nights this week will try at weekend, thanks again for you help:sleep: night work not good for the soul

tb888
17th December, 2008, 06:15 AM
If you switch off DHCP, you'll have to manually assign IP Addresses and it still won't solve the issue of two conflicting networks (from my experience this will make the overall network unstable - assuming it works to begin with). You have to put them in different IP ranges. However, some routers don't support this - the Asus wl530g for example. One should though, its a common feature.

Another thing to be sure and do is allow remote admin for the internal one.

Also check your wiring:

one router setup as normal connected to the net, the other (inside one) has its wan connected to one of the lan ports of the normal (outside - connected to the net) one.

This should work flawlessly for your purposes.