PDA

View Full Version : washer drum not moving/spinning

mickydibble
6th April, 2011, 10:28 AM
hi guys got a big problem my washer isnt working or rather the drum isnt moving,before this happened when it was washing the spin cycle sounded like a jumbo jet landing or taking off really noisy couldnt here anyone speak, now!! the sounds of washing and spinning is there as normal but the drum doesnt move yet does everything else as normal help please,the mrs is already looking at NEW ONES ....SHITE!! LOL

smoggy
6th April, 2011, 10:31 AM
sounds like the drive belt has gone
the drum is connected to the motor via a belt, you will need to remove casing to check

mickydibble
6th April, 2011, 10:36 AM
sounds like the drive belt has gone
the drum is connected to the motor via a belt, you will need to remove casing to check

cheers mate ,,,what about the horrendous noise beforehand?

smoggy
6th April, 2011, 10:44 AM
that could have been the belt coming off and clattering the panelwork or (and I hope not) the drum bearing breaking up.
you could open the door and turn the drum by hand and see if it spins freely

mickydibble
6th April, 2011, 10:47 AM
it does spin freely,but still abit of noise ,i mean its not totally quite and there is movement on the drum i think lol

mickydibble
6th April, 2011, 10:54 AM
just took the lid off and the belt is snapped,the drum when spinning by hand and looking down the back still as a kind of knocking,the large disc bit where the belt goes round on the drum does look like it is not going round perfectly? not sure what i mean by that haha

smoggy
6th April, 2011, 10:57 AM
I think the only way to tell is to take the back panel off you can't miss the belt because it is quite large.
the fault will be associated with either the belt-the drum or the motor
don't forget to pull the electric plug out ;)

EDIT : was writing this post and hadn't seen previous post.

smoggy
6th April, 2011, 11:06 AM
the drum can move quite a bit, hopefully its just a snapped belt but it could have been something going wrong with the drum or motor that caused it to snap
you could check if motor is still working ok

mickydibble
6th April, 2011, 11:15 AM
the drum can move quite a bit, hopefully its just a snapped belt but it could have been something going wrong with the drum or motor that caused it to snap
you could check if motor is still working ok

i can hear the motor working fine,when turning the drum by hand i can hear the noise i was referring too on a turn,but i cant spin it 1100 times a minute lol, it is like a slight knock/tap sound,thnx for help smoggy :)

EDIT:seems like the drum is loose ? when pushin drum inwards that when i get that knock sound and the disc at back as a lot of movement in it as if it needs to be tightened up? maybe

chucklor
6th April, 2011, 11:15 PM
The drum does have a lot movement Micky they are designed this way, and usually have concrete weights and springs inside them as a counter balance, the usual cause of it souding like a jumbo jet is because it is out of balance and the main cause is being overloaded with clothes, thus throwing the drum out of balance and with the weight of the water to much movement in the drum could have caused the belt to break, I would bang a new belt on and then put the machine on a wash cycle empty, also check the adjusting rubber feet on the bottom of the machine these can illiminate unnecessary movement...

mickydibble
7th April, 2011, 05:00 PM
thanks guys,i rang shop and seen if they had the belt in stock at the same time quizing them about drum etc,they ask if there was any black dust/small shavings around etcthere is and they said it sounded like bearings and to fix i dont think any point because its a old washer had it for 8 years....so getting a new one thnx guys :)

cablefreejunkie
7th April, 2011, 11:37 PM
get a miele micky,bit more pricey but will last you a lifetime,cant beat the german enginering,the other cheaper models are not built to last,,ive had a miele dryer for over 20 years,and its had a hard life,only the element has ever needed replacing and thats due to the fact of people opening it mid cycle checking inside and firing up again immediately,had the washing machine for 15,hardly any probs at all,
highly reccomend them

SouthernComfort
16th April, 2011, 06:46 PM
get a miele micky,bit more pricey but will last you a lifetime,

+1 other brands are just false economy. Panasonic aren't bad but not really in miele league.