PDA

View Full Version : OK, here's my take on the S9

Midnight Rider
7th April, 2011, 12:31 AM
Just picked up my S9 today and I'm impressed.

It was relatively easy to set up once I realised that my motorised dish seems to work better on USALS with the settings at 0! My last STB seemed to prefer Disqec so I never tried the USALS before. Anyway, once set up this way most sats from Thor to 28E tuned right in. The tuner seems sensitive enough for my needs.

The naughty stuff installed easily once I realised that DCHP needs to be turned on. The S9 on two different lines that I'm running is also glitch free especially compared to an another box that I have set up.

PQ on HD stuff is very good and only just behind the Icecyrpt S4000 and Cuberevo that I have owned in the past. The S9 PQ is also better than an DM8K that I used to have that I hated PQ wise (may have been a faulty box though!).

Anyway, re PQ the S9 does the basics right, no motion blur and reasonably good detail on HD. The blacks are a little dark but can be adjusted within the menu settings so I may have a play around later. The SD Pic is not in the same league as the Icecrypt or the Cuberevo and is about the same as the DM's. So all in all a very good showing on the PQ side of things.

The quality of finish of the S9 is cheap and cheerful but adds to the sense of value that this box brings at the price.

Given the stability of the naughty stuff and the price this is definately a highly recomendable box. Having bought and sold vey expensive boxes in the past I have to say that for me the thrill of this hobby is at its best when it comes cheap but with quality.

This box ticks those boxes and reminds me of the good old pre HD days of the Dboxes and cheaper TM's that gave so much value.

I might even buy another one of these!

dell_xps
7th April, 2011, 11:08 AM
Well put m8, for the money, 10/10 :-)

bernado
7th April, 2011, 07:40 PM
Can't go wrong for the price and I think the SD pic quality is actually very good. It definitely benefits from a tweak of display settings though. If you say the Icecrypt box is in another league, that must be an exceptional bit of kit.

the man
7th April, 2011, 10:49 PM
Can't go wrong for the price and I think the SD pic quality is actually very good. It definitely benefits from a tweak of display settings though. If you say the Icecrypt box is in another league, that must be an exceptional bit of kit.

whats he best settings?
thanks

bernado
7th April, 2011, 11:06 PM
whats he best settings?
thanks

I think it's really a case of adjusting those settings to suit your own TV (and personal taste). I've got my box set to brightness 58, contrast 44, saturation 45. That might look pretty ropey on someone elses setup, but I found it massively improved the dynamic range of tones on my telly, compared to the default settings which seemed to drop the shadow details out to black pretty early.

Midnight Rider
8th April, 2011, 07:45 AM
I think it's really a case of adjusting those settings to suit your own TV (and personal taste). I've got my box set to brightness 58, contrast 44, saturation 45. That might look pretty ropey on someone elses setup, but I found it massively improved the dynamic range of tones on my telly, compared to the default settings which seemed to drop the shadow details out to black pretty early.

Yes, I agree.

The saturation, especially on the standard setting seems a little high. I've also set mine to 45, lowered the contrast as the whites can blow a bit and raised the brightness.

To be honest calibrating this box is a bit of a pain as the Pic is a little unbalanced comapred to say the Icecrypt. I'm finding getting a balance between the whites and blacks is tricky. But again for the money who cares its good enough!

egibbons
8th April, 2011, 04:59 PM
I have a Kryptview not working! and looking at alternatives will this box get all the programmes kryptview got, after of course i get a dish all new to me. should I get the box first or the dish and motorised etc
Eddie

bugaloo41
8th April, 2011, 07:01 PM
I have a Kryptview not working! and looking at alternatives will this box get all the programmes kryptview got, after of course i get a dish all new to me. should I get the box first or the dish and motorised etc
Eddie

Different ball game mate but the same end result and more can be obtained via sat. You are likely though to have to pay a monthly fee for the sly channels unless you are fortunate to get access to a reliable free server or more likely set up your own with a few mates.

I was into cable right from the off and it served its purpose of that there is no doubts. In my view though sat beats it hands down. The range of options available from a relatively low outlay beats cable hands down.

You just need to read the stickies to install your sat, take your time, line more about cs (google is your friend) and the worlds your oyster. Well worth it in my view.

However if all you are after is sly then personally still think there life in the kview yet.

Good luck mate and any problems post back. We are all here to help.

s23pho
11th April, 2011, 05:19 PM
The openbox S9 was my first box, to get to grips with c/s and that. Soon after I bought a DM800 pro. The HD quality on the openbox was better than my DM800 pro I reckon!! It is sooo easy to set up and use and I would definitely recommend this box to others, only reason I changed was to gain an EPG and fiddle around with enigma 2. If your just looking for a box to watch TV this is definitely the box for you!!....