PDA

View Full Version : Peterbuilt Isx Coolant tank question

pbateman
7th April, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hey fellow Dk friends wanted to know if anyone has run into this issue. Have had a couple of 2008 peterbilts with the coolant tanks and have had issues with coolant alarm going off continually. Well the truck went to Peterbuilt and they tried telling me that there are floats inside the coolant resivor tank. Does anyone know of this for a fact or are they just blowing smoke to not tell the real issue of what was wrong. Changed out the sensor and worked fine for a week and then went back to setting off coolant alarm. With the use of insite and following the fault code steps there was never no mention of floats being inside of the coolant tank.
Any suggestions would be helpfull.:banghead:

jctech
8th April, 2011, 01:16 AM
Hey fellow Dk friends wanted to know if anyone has run into this issue. Have had a couple of 2008 peterbilts with the coolant tanks and have had issues with coolant alarm going off continually. Well the truck went to Peterbuilt and they tried telling me that there are floats inside the coolant resivor tank. Does anyone know of this for a fact or are they just blowing smoke to not tell the real issue of what was wrong. Changed out the sensor and worked fine for a week and then went back to setting off coolant alarm. With the use of insite and following the fault code steps there was never no mention of floats being inside of the coolant tank.
Any suggestions would be helpfull.:banghead:

There are 2 main types of low coolant level sensor, 2 wire and 4 wire, the 2 wire usually uses a float to sense coolant level, the 4 wire uses 2 coils to sense coolant level.
No doubt there are other types out there, these are the 2 types that I have had experience with. Both types get a coating of antifreeze and/or DCA, or rust and stop working, usually they can be cleaned, but not always.
Both types can be bypassed easily enough, however I would never recommend that as any type of long term solution, a sensor is a lot cheaper than an engine.

A K
8th April, 2011, 02:27 AM
The new ELC antifreeze is screwing up the sensors. If you have a screw in sensor you have a two wire or a three wire . The third wire is a 5volt signal. Best thing is disable coolant level sensor with insite. You blow a hose you'll know it. Lots of people have that same problem. You are sure the coolant is above the sensor level?

pbateman
10th April, 2011, 05:24 AM
Thanks Jctech and AK found out there is a float in the reservoir tank cut it in half and found it. Because of the discoloration of the tank I wasn't able to see it. Another fine way for engineers to design something to make money on!!!!!!!