PDA

View Full Version : Dreambox Clones

teleboss
21st April, 2008, 07:38 PM
With all the talk about dreambox clones, How does one identify one, I know dreambox have photos on their site, but with software killing boot loaders out there is there a simple script that one could run to verify the status of the box. It worries me that there is Malicious sofware out there to kill "clone" boxes. If there is copyright infringement on the clone boxes, there is legal recourse by Dreambox multimedia. However the propagation on the internet what can only be described as a virus. I think this could open itself to a legal case in itself, While the persons bought what they perceived as real dream boxes, If they look like a duck walk like a duck they most be a duck. Dreambox released a program to destroy the bootloader on these boxes rendering them useless. This legally could only be described as malicious damage, and malicious damage can be subject to legal recourse. It would be interesting to dissect the bootloader to see if there are any copyright infringement in relation to that. I assume that the image files from the different creators are GPL ?

Devilfish
21st April, 2008, 08:20 PM
It used to be that all clones had the same MAC address but the last 2 clones I've bought had different MAC addresses.

Basically, if you've bought your dreambox in the last 18 months, chances are that it's a clone. If you've bought it from a trader or a website then it's a clone. Sure it could be someone selling a second hand original but that would be out of warranty now as well. The clones look 99.99% the same as the originals. Early clones has various differences but they are almost identical now. Well, except from the screw on tuners now, which are better than the originals. So actually the clones are better than the originals lol. :roflmao:

C64
21st April, 2008, 08:27 PM
I think it's a ~~~~ing disgrace that Gemini Project have sided with DM and took a stance against Clones, ~~~~ them, there are plenty of other great DEV on the enigma scene.

It reeks of double standards, makes you wonder at which opint exactly DM took over the Gemini Project!

My Clone passes their stupid test anyway :)

teleboss
21st April, 2008, 08:45 PM
I think it's a ~~~~ing disgrace that Gemini Project have sided with DM and took a stance against Clones, ~~~~ them, there are plenty of other great DEV on the enigma scene.

It reeks of double standards, makes you wonder at which opint exactly DM took over the Gemini Project!

My Clone passes their stupid test anyway :)

well if they are no longer making the 500s why are they jumping up and down, If they supplied the boxes then there would be little market for the clones. The boxes I got have phillips tuners, and the co-ax connectors rather than f type, The only niggle I have is the sound, once i put it through a external optical to analog connector it rocks,

i wonder what the story witht he bootloader, it would be worth a gawk to see whats in it, I really think that nukeing boxes is verging on crimnal, Proving that it originated with DMM could be the problem though !

Neil
21st April, 2008, 09:26 PM
i wonder what the story witht he bootloader, it would be worth a gawk to see whats in it, I really think that nukeing boxes is verging on criminal, Proving that it originated with DMM could be the problem though !

I suppose that depends on where you are standing. If you are the owner of an illegal clone who are you going to sue for breaking it? The bootloader belongs to Dream, no one else. If the cloners had made their own we would not have this problem now.

I can see it from a few angles.

Dream are trying to protect there copyright - ie they put the time and money into developing the hardware so why should someone steal it from them?

The owners of the boxes I also feel sorry for them, well some of them. Those that bought the clone boxes thinking they were original anyway. I feel sorry for them, they thought they were buying genuine boxes.

Anyone buying a clone box knowing it is an illegal copy of the Dream box should expect that it may or may not work. Just like I expect my genuine box's might stop clearing the picture any day. I would be upset if my clone box died yes, but that is the risk you take.

I in no way feel story for the people making the clone box's. They should be dealt with under copyright law and shut down. They have proven they can't make a STB with copying someone elses. That means they do nothing for the progression of the technology or our hobby. All they do is risk shutting down Dream through loss in sales. It could also be dues to the clones that genuine boxes have not come down in price.

C64
21st April, 2008, 09:42 PM
Good points Neil.

My gripe is not with DreamMedia. They do afterall own the hardware - even if they did see the Dbox2 market and decided to cash in on it - but good luck to them!

My problem lies with 'The Gemini Project', an amature team of firmware developers that have took a stance in favour of a hardware manufacturer.

Gemini software is (unofficially - but widely known) geared towards pay television piracy, for these guys to judge that hardware piracy is wrong is just silly, it's ok to steal TV but it's not ok to clone someone elses hardware!

The Gemini Project are dead.

They have signed their own death warrant.

No matter though, there are plenty of far better DEVs on the Dreambox - Nabilosat is my own fav :)

Neil
21st April, 2008, 09:47 PM
The Gemini Project are dead.

I am not sure they are dead just yet.

They do produce some of the easiest to use and most reliable images.

teleboss
22nd April, 2008, 03:05 AM
I am not sure they are dead just yet.

They do produce some of the easiest to use and most reliable images.

I think witchy sums it up, to kill a box which is intended for piracy is hypocrital at least :)

Hazza
22nd April, 2008, 04:31 AM
Where does this leave the Envision 500c? which is after all a Dreambox 500c with a different front. This is what I have, so I am wondering if this is also a clone, although I beleive it to be made under licence to DM. Does anyone know if this will also die in time or is it only the boxes with gemini software that will be affected? I am sure that 99% of people buying Dreamboxes wouldn't have a clue if they were clones or not judging by the no. of cries for help and lack of technical knowhow, and I include myself in this category.
Harry

Alpha4321
23rd April, 2008, 01:21 AM
clone dm500 does not have a jtag port and oem dm500 has one

mez
23rd April, 2008, 01:04 PM
hi mate if you both your dreambox from a an official dealers or on ebay then the is fake box you could read more here http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/images/DM%20500%20original_copy%20150dpi%20A4.jpg and beware that fake and copied units are on all seires of dreambox not just on 500 seire

aetius_1980
26th January, 2009, 06:33 PM
guys,

I'm looking at buying a dm500c, but the only reliable link for a genuine site says they're discontinued and recommends the 600pvr, which is sold out.

The only other sites I can find are UK looking sites which are in fact owned by Chinese cloners.

Any advice on where I can get a genuine dreambox from?

tx

witchy - does your clone still pass the test?

westkill
26th January, 2009, 06:43 PM
dm600
239.00 euros with delivery here
Dreambox im HM Sat Shop (http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/angebot-dreambox/)

aetius_1980
27th January, 2009, 10:45 AM
thanks for replies

west,

They advertise the dreambox 600 at 299, seems a bit much, at that price it's worth taking a chance with a clone even if it only lasts a few months.

I saw the 500 at 179 - are they still ok to use nowdays or are they still ok to use nowdays or are they obsolete?

nono_748
27th January, 2009, 03:36 PM
Hi,

for 500 clones : dvbseller or dvb monkey (price around ?60 + shipping) but remenber, no gemini image on it.

Nono

Bonesy
27th January, 2009, 10:34 PM
Dreambox 500c from DVBSeller (http://www.dvbseller.com) I ave bought plenty from them without problem and althought I swore I would never use gemini on any of my unit since their timebomb, I know a few friends use gemini on the new clones with problems as the macs are all same as orginals now.

aetius_1980
28th January, 2009, 05:42 PM
bonesy did you mean to say without problem?

Bonesy
29th January, 2009, 11:20 AM
bonesy did you mean to say without problem?

lol yes I did....no problems at all, in fact search the forums here for people reviews on them.

nono_748
29th January, 2009, 03:46 PM
Hi

I confirm, I bought mine in dvbseller in july 2008 and no problem with it, I use nemesis 4.2 and cccam 2.0.11

Nono

who
5th February, 2009, 09:32 PM
easy way just look at the price, dream media will charge you silly money for a dm600 and the earth for dm800 a clone wont

aetius_1980
12th February, 2009, 03:36 PM
Just got mine delivered from Satsun for $105, now working out how the thing works....

aetius_1980
12th February, 2009, 05:07 PM
bought one from satsun, 2 week delivery, havent tried it yet as i dont have a scooby, but looks genuine

pakmafia
14th February, 2009, 02:59 PM
ive brought from linuxsat but there is also buythings based in uk, with linuxsat you get it next day not sure about buythings but friend says he has been to their office in blackburn so they ship from uk aswell i guess. anyway point abuot the copyright i think if dreambox prices were reasonable there was no reason for anyone to buy a clone and there would not have been this issue. dreambox owns the bootloader then they are using linux which is a free software so how does that work? :hmmmm:quality of chinese is very good and to be honest i thing the originals are made in china now too, as almost everything we buy now days comes from china things have changed

Mubz
17th February, 2009, 05:58 AM
i really don't see the fuss over clone boxes.
after all we are all playing an illegal game, and if someone rips off something else that is making a product thats illegal, well in my eyes tough titty...
if you were a car jacker and one day you got jacked, would you go running to the cops???? probably not!!

i splashed out at the beginning for a genuine DM which died on me just after a year, bought a clone about 16 months ago and have neva had a problem with it...
so i could get 3 x 16 months for the price i paid for a original, it's a no brainier for me...

i would just like to know when someone is gonna clone a Pioneer kudos for a third of the price...
:)

gmb45
17th February, 2009, 06:31 AM
i really don't see the fuss over clone boxes.
after all we are all playing an illegal game, and if someone rips off something else that is making a product thats illegal, well in my eyes tough titty...
if you were a car jacker and one day you got jacked, would you go running to the cops???? probably not!!

i splashed out at the beginning for a genuine DM which died on me just after a year, bought a clone about 16 months ago and have neva had a problem with it...
so i could get 3 x 16 months for the price i paid for a original, it's a no brainier for me...

i would just like to know when someone is gonna clone a Pioneer kudos for a third of the price...
:)illegal product or not it should still work,as for us ripping vermin off what are they doing with their prices, the same goes for any other big company robbing the working man all the time they get away with legal theft.fcuk em

hashleyf
17th February, 2009, 09:05 PM
With all the talk about dreambox clones, How does one identify one, I know dreambox have photos on their site, but with software killing boot loaders out there is there a simple script that one could run to verify the status of the box. It worries me that there is Malicious sofware out there to kill "clone" boxes. If there is copyright infringement on the clone boxes, there is legal recourse by Dreambox multimedia. However the propagation on the internet what can only be described as a virus. I think this could open itself to a legal case in itself, While the persons bought what they perceived as real dream boxes, If they look like a duck walk like a duck they most be a duck. Dreambox released a program to destroy the bootloader on these boxes rendering them useless. This legally could only be described as malicious damage, and malicious damage can be subject to legal recourse. It would be interesting to dissect the bootloader to see if there are any copyright infringement in relation to that. I assume that the image files from the different creators are GPL ?

i emailed support@Dream-Multimedia-Tv.de with the box serial number and MAC and it was confirmed I had a clone which I pretty much knew anyways

Clone or no clone isnt the issue with the 500s its whether it has the new tuner in or not which is much more important

pakmafia
19th February, 2009, 04:41 PM
all clones now come with the alps tuner standard which is the best

pantnick
22nd February, 2009, 12:14 AM
Are there any 7025 clones??

ps2chiper
22nd February, 2009, 01:00 PM
I haven't seen any that were made in Shenzhen. I have seen people that claim they are selling them, but when you try to buy one they will mysteriously be out of stock. Or they are just trying to scam you and steal your money by western union.

aetius_1980
23rd February, 2009, 10:36 AM
Got my db0x 500c from satusn.biz for 75 including shipping, worked a treat with the dk 1.1 image :-)

It took around 10 days for delivery, but I've no complaint with the box

a1gunner
23rd February, 2009, 05:59 PM
ye m8 got one myself ordered thursday pm came following friday very good sevice would recomend to anyone

andy4
23rd February, 2009, 09:03 PM
gunner wot are quality of boxes & are they replica of dreambox or are they the black linux box

ps2chiper
23rd February, 2009, 09:13 PM
Customs is stepp'in up in Hong Kong. We are not allowed to use the Dreambox packaging anymore. So we will use a blank box or a black box packaging to ship the goods in. I should post some photos of the Dreambox parts if anybody wants to see them.

a1gunner
23rd February, 2009, 11:08 PM
gunner wot are quality of boxes & are they replica of dreambox or are they the black linux box

there replica of a dreambox m8 i flashed with dk imaige all ok

Simoh
18th March, 2010, 06:03 PM
What about image quality for the chinese dreambox 500 s clones?..

a1gunner
19th March, 2010, 08:07 AM
there dead om m8