PDA

View Full Version : Whats the crack then ?

drawflex
11th December, 2008, 09:02 PM
My dad's just bought a wii for the family this christmas... better than sitting round the table playing monopoly eh ?

I've read through a few posts mentioning mod-chips and a few threads about soft-modding...

Which is the way to go ? Can i just run custom firmware on it like i do with my PSP ? and if so is it stable ? and (like the PSP) will newer games try to update the firmware and un-mod it ?

or do i need a chip ? and if so which is the one to get..

Obviously i'd rather not fork out any cash... but i don't really want to risk bricking it this close to chrimbo.

Ta.

Ahh i've done some more reading... is it really as simple as getting Zelda, running twilight hack, installing homebrew channel, and then playing backup disks ?

dell_xps
11th December, 2008, 10:11 PM
My dad's just bought a wii for the family this christmas... better than sitting round the table playing monopoly eh ?

I've read through a few posts mentioning mod-chips and a few threads about soft-modding...

Which is the way to go ? Can i just run custom firmware on it like i do with my PSP ? and if so is it stable ? and (like the PSP) will newer games try to update the firmware and un-mod it ?

or do i need a chip ? and if so which is the one to get..

Obviously i'd rather not fork out any cash... but i don't really want to risk bricking it this close to chrimbo.

Ta.

Ahh i've done some more reading... is it really as simple as getting Zelda, running twilight hack, installing homebrew channel, and then playing backup disks ?

I have a solderless wiikey v2 installed in mine m8 with the twilight hack installed, plays everything, pal--ntsc games no problem.
You say your dad has just bought this so if you were going for a chip a solderless chip is possibly out of the question as you will have epoxy resin around the chip and you would have to go down the hardwired root maybe, if you know how to solder it shouldn't be a problem.Google epoxy resin on youtube,it can be taken off with a heat gun, but do you really want to take a heat gun to a brand new wii ?, personally I wouldn't chance it.
Back to your question about the wii being able to play backups with just the twilight hack, I've read up on it but don't know anybody who has actually done it, looks pretty straight forward enough,if you do decide to do it, get yourself an original copy of Zelda PAL version and check this link out,
Wii Brew - For All Your Wii Needs. Wii Homebrew News Wii Saved Games Wii Downloads (http://wii.brewology.com/?page=fileInfo&cid=&d=74)
If you do decide to go ahead and do it please be extremely careful m8.
:party:

drawflex
11th December, 2008, 11:37 PM
been doing homework all night on the softmod route and i'm feeling pretty confident.. I know we've got a version 3.3 OS so i need to run the twilight hack.. install homebrew channel, downgrade to 3.2.. then install a few more goodies to be able to run DVD-backups... Brings me back to the good old PSP days lol . If I mess it up I'll just take it back to Tesco's where my dad bought it and get it replaced... the staff usually don't give a shit anyways...

Here's what i been looking at http://www.wiihacks.com/faq-guides-tutorials/7199-3-1-3-4-twilight-downgrade-starfall-gammatutorial.html

But i'll let you know how i get on.

dell_xps
12th December, 2008, 12:47 AM
been doing homework all night on the softmod route and i'm feeling pretty confident.. I know we've got a version 3.3 OS so i need to run the twilight hack.. install homebrew channel, downgrade to 3.2.. then install a few more goodies to be able to run DVD-backups... Brings me back to the good old PSP days lol . If I mess it up I'll just take it back to Tesco's where my dad bought it and get it replaced... the staff usually don't give a shit anyways...

Here's what i been looking at 3.1-3.4 Twilight/Downgrade/Starfall/GammaTutorial - Wiihacks - Nintendo Wii Hacks Community (http://www.wiihacks.com/faq-guides-tutorials/7199-3-1-3-4-twilight-downgrade-starfall-gammatutorial.html)

But i'll let you know how i get on.

Here's another tut for you, seems pretty straight forward to me.

Wii Backup Loader 0.3 gamma - Wii 4 Everybody - Zimbio (http://www.zimbio.com/Wii+4+Everybody/articles/29/Wii+Backup+Loader+0+3+gamma)

drawflex
12th December, 2008, 08:50 AM
Here's another tut for you, seems pretty straight forward to me.

Wii Backup Loader 0.3 gamma - Wii 4 Everybody - Zimbio (http://www.zimbio.com/Wii+4+Everybody/articles/29/Wii+Backup+Loader+0+3+gamma)

Nice one mate... bit more brain food before i take the plunge !

bilabonic
12th December, 2008, 12:14 PM
I would solder in a Wikkey2 Yellow. Only 6 wires and no ic legs to attach to mate.

drawflex
12th December, 2008, 06:47 PM
I'm still kinda tempted with the hard-mod method, can the wiikey2 be installed easily enough, even with all that goopy-glue-shite over the chip or have i got a take an angle grinder to it ? I don't even mind soldering it.

I've seen a few links to mod-chips but haven't seen any install insctructions.

Can someone post a link to a mod that i don't have to scrape all the crap off please ... Ta

dell_xps
12th December, 2008, 07:11 PM
I'm still kinda tempted with the hard-mod method, can the wiikey2 be installed easily enough, even with all that goopy-glue-shite over the chip or have i got a take an angle grinder to it ? I don't even mind soldering it.

I've seen a few links to mod-chips but haven't seen any install insctructions.

Can someone post a link to a mod that i don't have to scrape all the crap off please ... Ta

http://www.360upgrades.co.uk/bmz_cache/0/0369a8f9f1b30265b24a56a124cd2cfb.image.733x550.JPG
similar to this m8

drawflex
13th December, 2008, 02:07 AM
soldering .. no probs .... scraping shit loads of goo off the chips.. probs.

dell_xps
13th December, 2008, 11:14 AM
soldering .. no probs .... scraping shit loads of goo off the chips.. probs.

If you hard wire I dont think you'll have to take that much epoxy resin off m8.

drawflex
14th December, 2008, 05:34 PM
Went down the softmod route today, took about 30 mins all-in from start to finish... twilight hack, homebrew channel, downgrade, patch, starfall, gamma launcher.... works a treat !!!

Burned off MarioKart, Shaun White, and De Blob... all working perfectly, no slow loading times like i read used to be the problem with older versions of gamma launcher.

No chip, no opening the Wii, no problems.

Back to mininova to download some more ISOs

:party :

dell_xps
14th December, 2008, 10:10 PM
Went down the softmod route today, took about 30 mins all-in from start to finish... twilight hack, homebrew channel, downgrade, patch, starfall, gamma launcher.... works a treat !!!

Burned off MarioKart, Shaun White, and De Blob... all working perfectly, no slow loading times like i read used to be the problem with older versions of gamma launcher.

No chip, no opening the Wii, no problems.

Back to mininova to download some more ISOs

:party :

Good good, glad you got it working.
:devil: