PDA

View Full Version : CAN SONY TELL IF ITS A HOT BOX

flipdip
11th December, 2008, 10:06 PM
BEEN OFFERED A PS3 80GB AND HAVE BEEN TOLD I CANT GO ONLINE CAN SONY TELL IF ITS HOT OR NOT

Raven
11th December, 2008, 10:18 PM
I seriously doubt it, and I don't think it would matter even if they could as from your perspective it is no different to if you were buying a second hand PS3 from a store....and it's the same from Sony's perspective as you have any evidence they may or may not have is purely circumstancial. I cannot imagine why this person would have told you not to go online using the console......

Also it's worth pointing out that the PS3 hasn't been hacked yet so it's not like you can play copied games on it yet. Purchasing a stolen PS3 is obviously a moral decision that you will have to contend with but once the deal is done away from prying eyes and that console is now in ur possession there's no reason you shouldn't go online whatsoever as it could have been a pre owned store bought console as far as anyone else is concerned.

Cheejy
17th December, 2008, 10:11 AM
With regards to a stolen PS3.

Have read various stories online about the owners reporting it stolen to the police and they have been traced when the ps3 was online.

Stolen PS3 Tracked Through PlayStation Network (http://gizmodo.com/5035425/stolen-ps3-tracked-through-playstation-network)

Raven
17th December, 2008, 11:30 PM
See now there is the problem, where do you differenciate a stolen PS3 from a genuine store bought second hand one ?

Also how do they go about tracking these unless the user who had his PS3 stolen knows his consoles serial code which would then be blacklisted or whatever.....and again using this rationale what's to stop an unscroupulous person from trading in their PS3 and then reporting it as stolen ? - how do the authorities even begin to find and know of the difference ?

That's why I think it's an impossibility and therefore stolen PS3's are basically hidden in plain site lol.

At least that's the impression I get using common sense.

EDIT

Yeah, about the common sense thing, always format the console before use if it's second hand! Actually now I know why I had to wait for a couple of hours at CEX while they formatted my PS3 hard drive when I traded mine in, even though I'd already done a quick format before I took it in lol.

Fancy that though you buy a PS3 legit from a trade store and then you get the cops knocking on your door and they nick your console! Mind you the guy had it coming on the one hand because if he was logging in under someone elses account and taking it online he must have known that to be asking for hassle when you think about it logically.....