PDA

View Full Version : need a new washing machine

tshirtman
10th April, 2011, 09:31 PM
Our washer has died a noisy death, and need to buy a new one
I am after some recommendations
I have a budget of around ?300, it must be quiet, as our last one sounded like an airplane taking off,
must be reliable, and with a decent spin speed,
I don't know what make to get, can anyone give me some ideas.

cactikid
10th April, 2011, 10:10 PM
have a look there for info.
Washing Machine | Washer Dryer | Tumble Dryers | Laundry (http://www.did.ie/categories/Laundry/280)

autoelectrics
10th April, 2011, 10:31 PM
Make sure you get one with dry-sensor so it stops when cloth is dried not like mine that spins until it is manually stopped :-(

chucklor
11th April, 2011, 06:56 PM
I think the way foward is direct drive as they don't incorporate belt drive, I don't have one myself but have heard some good reports about them, check this LG out mate F1222TD LG Direct Drive Washing Machine - Kitchen Appliances Direct (http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/LG_Direct_Drive_Washing_Machine_F1222TD/version.asp?refsource=apfroogle)

cactikid
11th April, 2011, 09:36 PM
and get a warranty parts and labour also if possible.

xant14
11th April, 2011, 09:45 PM
I think the way foward is direct drive as they don't incorporate belt drive, I don't have one myself but have heard some good reports about them, check this LG out mate F1222TD LG Direct Drive Washing Machine - Kitchen Appliances Direct (http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/LG_Direct_Drive_Washing_Machine_F1222TD/version.asp?refsource=apfroogle)

I agree with chucklor, we have a direct drive one, and there is a 5 year warranty on that part of it, LG too. think there is 2 year on the rest.
The thing with warranties.. washing maschines are the dearest, pound/year. So dunno if they are worth it... they are if they ~~~~ up, but a lot of money if they dont.

German stuff tends to be more reliable, Bosch, Meile. But as I say I went with LG, with a direct drive steam one, and touch wood going great so far. The steam part btw is a load of bollox, we/I never use it... to tell truth, I dont use the washer much, but she does, not the steam part tho.

autoelectrics
11th April, 2011, 10:47 PM
That LG mentioned by Chucklor's link is energy A+ thus ideal as with the electric prices that would definitely save you some cash.

thered
12th April, 2011, 08:03 AM

awful awful awful steer clear

i got an LG washer dryer direct drive i thought i t would be great we paid a good whack for it too over ?600

its clever its direct drive it weighs the clothes before washing and drying to decide how long it needs to be on

but it is useless to the point we do not touch the dryer part and the washing machine isnt that much bettter either

as it is direct drive it is more sensitive and shuts itself off to protect itself half way through washes saying uneven load you have to add more stuff that doesnt even need washing and star again

if your washer is packed with clothes it is usually ok but if you are washing things like bed sheets and dog blankets it turns itself off as many times as it works which is very annoying especially if your going out and want the wash ready for when you get in

you have to open the door re-adjust the washing and sometimes add a towel or 2 for it to finish its cycle then you start again and hope it does

cablefreejunkie
12th April, 2011, 01:39 PM
if theres any way possible,double your budget and go for a quality product like miele,it will last you a good 15 to 20 years plus,
theres some great 0% interest deals out there to intice you to buy,i would suggest putting 300 down and the rest interest free,bang the money into a seperate account every month,at the end of the interest free period pay it off,the key here is to keep putting away the money every month and pay it off in full at the end of the interes free period,once you go past the free period and you dont pay the balance in full you get hammered with interest
most machines these days are not built to last more than 5 years,insane really,,deffo spend a bit more and buy a quality german piece of engineering,,i cant reccomend them highly enough,we have washing machine and tumble dryer(miele) cannot fault them at all for build quality/reliability etc will outlast any machine for ?300 by at least 15 years if not more,will save you money in the long run plus you wont need to take out the parts and labour cover either as you wont need it
no brainer if you can double your budget

xant14
12th April, 2011, 05:53 PM
awful awful awful steer clear

i got an LG washer dryer direct drive i thought i t would be great we paid a good whack for it too over ?600

I got one, no dryer on it mind, ?600, Steam setting etc, and have had not a single problem in 3 years of ownership.
I would never buy a washer dryer, The dryer only has the waste water hose to vent out of, that cant be good.

I agree with cablefreejunkie too tho, Meile and bosch are the boys, but I am more than happy with my LG so far.
How old is yours Thered?

tshirtman
12th April, 2011, 07:11 PM
I've been looking at bosch, and LG, I get paid on Friday so will decide next week,
someone suggested I have a look at comet clearance auction center, so keeping my eye out for a bargain,
and there are some cracking deals on here,
Deals on Washing Machines, Dishwashers, Laptops, TVs | Comet Auctions (http://www.clearance-comet.co.uk/)

cactikid
12th April, 2011, 07:39 PM
yep i bought a miele washing machine also find it good ,i also have a tumble dryer only used the odd time for big stuff and for a laugh i bought the jml dri buddy.

Dri Buddy (http://www.jmldirect.com/currency/EUR/Dri-Buddi-PD2001/)

chucklor
12th April, 2011, 08:54 PM
You could try here tshirtman, I buy a lot from here and flog it on eBay, for instance I got 3 LCD tv's, brand new in the boxes, 22" with built in freeveiw and DVD for ?190 including vat and commission, they sell a lot of bankrupt stock and returns that might have a scratch or dent and it is sold to the highest bidder regardless of the price. They have 100's of new kitchen appliances and you get the chance to test them if you wish good luck mate.....chuck http://www.johnpye.co.uk/

stihl260
13th April, 2011, 07:49 PM
Got an AEG myself, great machine, ultra reliable (because its german) and very quite.
Had it 3 years and not a problem with it.
You get what you pay for, im afraid.

super jumbe
14th April, 2011, 09:00 AM
I like the good old days when my Mrs use to take the day light out of the cloths hitting them with the cricket bat with a bit of the washing powder and our women were getting slim now wonder most of our women in UK are fat now because of lack of exercise robot doing the donkey work.
:roflmao:

thered
14th April, 2011, 09:26 AM
I got one, no dryer on it mind, ?600, Steam setting etc, and have had not a single problem in 3 years of ownership.
I would never buy a washer dryer, The dryer only has the waste water hose to vent out of, that cant be good.

I agree with cablefreejunkie too tho, Meile and bosch are the boys, but I am more than happy with my LG so far.
How old is yours Thered?

about 3 m8 the washer itself is nice and quiet runs ok most of the time but bed sheets and bigger bulky stuff can be a nightmare it just beeps and stops with UE on the display

i took out 5 year warranty on it too just because i heard washer dryers brake down a lot and we dont even use the dryer now lol

the only reason we got it was space i would rather have 1 machine than 2

i should have maybe got them out to have a look but it says it can happen in the troubleshooting guide in the book and it advises that you just balance the load with some towels or straighten it out and start again

tbh half the problem is probably the wife i always tell her to put more stuff in but you cant educate pork she just does as she pleases and would rather wash and wash and wash anything that is there no matter if its full half or quater of a load where i would save it till i had a full load as it does seem to happen less if the washer has a complete load inside

nevermind it may just be mine i can only talk from my own experience and it has been a pain at times although it is normally ok with clothes bed sheets are definately its kryptonite in our house lol