PDA

View Full Version : Benz W203 transmission shift problem

Poptest
16th April, 2011, 08:00 PM
Please, I need your advice.

Transmission shift of my Benz W203 C200 is erratic. It is often normal; but sometimes it won't shift, and sometimes it goes to neutral while driving.

I know it is in good function when I move the selector lever to - or + and the gear indicator shows a change in gear. If the gear indicator stays on " D ", I know I have a shift problem.

I'm a diesel mechanic, and don't have much experience with Benz. But I can play around with this car as it is mine. Pease help me.

Qrius
17th April, 2011, 01:32 AM
Does this W203 have automatic gearbox or SEMI-Automatic ?

If it's a Semi-Automatic , it could be the hydraulic pump or it's expansion resevoir.

Poptest
17th April, 2011, 07:35 AM
Does this W203 have automatic gearbox or SEMI-Automatic ?

If it's a Semi-Automatic , it could be the hydraulic pump or it's expansion resevoir.

It's automatic but can downshift or upshift. While on drive, pulling the lever to the left makes a downshift, and to the right is upshift.

mercis
17th April, 2011, 08:32 AM
722,6 gear?

Poptest
17th April, 2011, 12:08 PM
722,6 gear?

I don't know the transmission model Mercis. It has 5 gears forward.

I also noticed that the gear position indicator lamp is sometimes normal, and a bit dark when the transmission is not in good function.

mercis
17th April, 2011, 01:34 PM
you cant select + -
egs on emergency mode,erron on system
read ecu and delete errorcode and drive and new diagnostic

Poptest
17th April, 2011, 02:26 PM
you cant select + -

I am able to select +/- most of the time. So I think this is a loose connection on the wires. But sometimes I cannot select. This happens only for a short time, then it is back to normal again. Fault occurs approximately 1 or 2 times in one hour.

Thank you mercis.

Poptest
17th April, 2011, 02:34 PM
you cant select + -

What does egs mean?

I will readout ecu with KTS/ESI tomorrow. I don't have MB Star.

mercis
17th April, 2011, 03:44 PM
elektrische getriebe steuerung

Poptest
19th April, 2011, 07:39 AM
elektrische getriebe steuerung

I readout a DTC 15 through Bosch KTS/ESI. Fault description is: CAN signal from gearbox control (signal improbable).

I will check socket to harness connections at shift selector.

Poptest
21st April, 2011, 03:42 PM
I disconnect 12 pin harness connector to transmission, cleaned both sides, then reconnect.

Shifting now okay.

Thank you for your tips.

Poptest
22nd April, 2011, 10:13 AM
After cleaning the harness connector at the transmission, problem seemed to be fixed. But after 2 days of using the car, problem is back.

See attached readout of Bosch KTS/ESI.

Please guide me on next part/s to check.

Many thanks.

Bazil_mb
24th April, 2011, 03:37 AM
Hello,
Try this:
Disconnect the plug that enters the gearbox, check if you have traces of oil. If traces of oil are to be replaced socket. It comes off with a pipe wrench of M7 (M8) (is a copper bolt in the middle of the socket between pins). Check gear box and the computer does not have oil in it (climb the wire). Check levels of oil and gearbox

Poptest
24th April, 2011, 04:04 AM
Hello,
Try this:
Disconnect the plug that enters the gearbox, check if you have traces of oil. If traces of oil are to be replaced socket. It comes off with a pipe wrench of M7 (M8) (is a copper bolt in the middle of the socket between pins). Check gear box and the computer does not have oil in it (climb the wire). Check levels of oil and gearbox

Thanks Bazil_mb. Yes, I seen traces of oil in harness connector.
I have these questions;

Does socket have to be replaced? Or does it have a rubber seal? Is socket or seal available from MB?
Computer box is inside transmission. Should transmission be pulled down and disassembled to check comp box?
Do you know where the oil from transmission is leaking to the computer box?
How to check gearbox oil level? There is no dipstick.

I don't have experience on this as I am a diesel mechanic, not a transmission man. But I can try to learn because this is my car.

Thank you for your help.

Bazil_mb
24th April, 2011, 06:22 AM
Hello
the socket is available on mercedes benz workshop (less 8 euro)
Computer is in insede of car( passenger side ) under carpet floor under dash board
Oil climb because of surface tension cable
In transsmision you have only a senzor plate and 6 valves
Ceck level with a plastic hose in parking, with engine running at idle ( you must have 60 mm oil on the ''dipstick'' at 80 degrees Celsius)
Ceck tube is behind the engine block with a black or red caps

Poptest
24th April, 2011, 08:18 AM
I will check tomorrow.

Thank you so much for this information.

del635
24th April, 2011, 12:03 PM
My e320cdi worked much better with fluid change and filter inside gearbox. Get 2 gallon of fuchs/mb atf oil and flush via oil cooler, I would also recommend putting a magnet on the bottom of the pan for a while before change. Note I'd no errors though, just wouldnt upshift nice or at all and sometimes revved or jerked between shifts. I would recommend this anyway even if not your 'problem', mines like a new gearbox now!!

Poptest
8th May, 2011, 01:50 PM
Hello
the socket is available on mercedes benz workshop (less 8 euro)
Computer is in insede of car( passenger side ) under carpet floor under dash board
Oil climb because of surface tension cable
In transsmision you have only a senzor plate and 6 valves
Ceck level with a plastic hose in parking, with engine running at idle ( you must have 60 mm oil on the ''dipstick'' at 80 degrees Celsius)
Ceck tube is behind the engine block with a black or red caps

Hello Bazil_mb,

You are correct.....oil leaks at the socket and oil also creep up to connector of transmission control unit. Socket arrived last week. Does M Menz have any special instructions on how to replace this socket?

Thank you.

Manmart
8th May, 2011, 02:35 PM
It is necessary to disconnect the connector with wiring from the transmission by turning the flag. In the center connector on the transmission will be a small bolt , on 6 or 7 mm (do not remember exactly). unscrewing it you
be able to remove body size sockets with two rubber rings of different diameters.

Bazil_mb
8th May, 2011, 07:46 PM
Hi
Manmart have right,
Remember: after this ceck the oil level.Do it yourself a dipstick

Poptest
14th May, 2011, 02:29 PM
Finally, I had chance to fix my car today. Problem was oil on the transmission socket and ECU. Socket has been replaced, filter and oil replaced........shifts like new now.

I have to thank you all for sharing your experience. I could not have done it alone........

RICKY2010
22nd May, 2011, 03:28 PM
REPLACE SENSOR PLATE IN TRANSMISSION. OIL CONTAMINATION INTO CRACKED SHIELD OF RPM SENSOR CAUSES CAN COMMUNICATION ERRORS AND MECHANICAL ERRORS THAT DO NOT EXIST

cardoctor
22nd May, 2011, 04:02 PM
Finally, I had chance to fix my car today. Problem was oil on the transmission socket and ECU. Socket has been replaced, filter and oil replaced........shifts like new now.

I have to thank you all for sharing your experience. I could not have done it alone........

After few week your problems will become again,
You must cheks Bodi valve ,selenoid and electronic black contol.

krimo06
4th October, 2011, 09:07 PM
hello friend
juste change calculator of egs and drive or reprogram it whith mb star
the problemme is : can't change frome 1-2-3-4-5-6 in exactly value and in code default it show 0 def