PDA

View Full Version : Pen Testing Discussions.

SouthernComfort
17th April, 2011, 05:51 PM
Bit of a grey area on most places, had a quick look and the topic doesn't seem to be covered, just wondering what the forums stance is. All theoretical of course.

drawflex
17th April, 2011, 08:19 PM
also interested in an answer to this.. been playing with backtrack for a while now... be good for somewhere to compare notes.

drawflex
20th April, 2011, 03:34 PM
http://www.stosb.com/comics/pen-test.png

SouthernComfort
23rd April, 2011, 04:43 AM
Seems so lol, do you run as OS or live?

drawflex
23rd April, 2011, 04:45 PM
OS.... i'm still a bit wet when it comes to backtrack and linux... but spending more and more time in linux, and picked up loads re:using the shell .....have both main computer and laptop setup to multiboot into (A) Normal OS (B) Backtrack (C) A outdated XP32 SP3 install from 2009 no FW/AV (To use as a target even when unplugged from web)...that way, during the day, i can have a go at the laptop... and i can use the laptop to attack main PC when laying in bed:) And no fear of anyone else trying their luck

SouthernComfort
23rd April, 2011, 10:09 PM
There are many places where you can hone your skills, many will offer assistance as you progress. Home networks are always a good place to start. Surrounding WLAN can also be great fun to test on, with permission of course ;)
Personally, city centers are great fun, so much variety.

Furax
18th June, 2011, 06:13 PM
If you look on the net you can get some baddass wifi antennas from china for not much cash. Some serious war driving going on then!

The backtrack forums are pretty good for this though, theres alot more to pentesting than wifi too!

Needlz
6th July, 2011, 06:07 PM
I always use BackTrack distro. It had all the security tools a pentester needs.

I have it as my main OS on my Laptop but I bought a Alfa USB 500mW WiFI Adapter as it has the correct chipset which can be used for war driving and capturing packets [MITM]

As I am a security consultant it is great that I can carry all my security tools on a live cd if my laptop is being funny.