PDA

View Full Version : Any Oil heating engineers here?

allycoops
17th April, 2011, 08:10 PM
Guys anybody up on oil heating?

just had a new system installed Friday.
External boiler!

What's the minimum distance boiler must be from a window or door now.

Have a problem with smell of oil in house. very strong, don't know if its because its to close to French doors or if the incoming pipe hasn't been sealed properly from boiler into house?

daithi
17th April, 2011, 08:41 PM
i bought a new house recently had never been lived in before me

there was a leak where the pipe comes out of thank
and it ran down the inside of the white plastic coating on pipe from tank
and the oil gathered at the burner 30 feet away from leak
so try checking your joints for leaks

also the wrong nozzle was installed on burner and it was setup wrong
ie wrong pressure and air flow
which caused it to burn irregularly
this might be causing the smell

the reason im pointing this out is
mine was installed by a so called professional that the builder got and he did it arse ways

maybe the guy who did yours did it wrong to
my burner is right outside my bedroom window and i can never smell it

i got someone back who fixed the leak and readjusted the burner to function properly

if the guy servicing it doesnt have the right tools ie the emissions tester pressure gauge etc dont let him do it
theres gangsters looking for money these days that will put there hands to anything to make a bob

allycoops
17th April, 2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks Mate,

I'm gona phone them in morning, They aint been paid yet, so should be on the ball,

It's a big company and the installers had all the tools and tested emissions etc

Done an excellent job etc, just the smell so I need to get them back to sort it.

reddevil157
17th April, 2011, 08:56 PM
hey Ally, 600mm from an opening, is the smell of burnt oil from the flue ?

allycoops
17th April, 2011, 09:02 PM
Hello red Mate. Its more than 60cm (600mm) from the door. Smell not from flu which is blowing white steam out, I can stand next to flu and its ok, nowhere near as bad as the smell in house. You can smell it all the time. even when boiler aint running.

So it's definitely oil smell and not from flu.

I'll phone them in morning and see what they say.

reddevil157
17th April, 2011, 09:09 PM
Well you haven't paid yet so, you d man lol. That white steam is plume, a condensing boiler is meant to do that, means it's working like it should. Like Daithi say's, more than likely there's a leak, but must be bad for you to smell it all through the house, have you taken the door off the boiler to have a look.

allycoops
17th April, 2011, 09:16 PM
Yes I've had a look , can't see any leaks, 2 x 15mm and 2 x 22mm pipes coming into house along with electric cable (inside a white plastic tube) all inside a large black plastic tube. back filled with expanding foam.

Think smell may be getting in via small white tubing that contains electric cable although that is filled with silicon I think?.

I'll open boiler again in morning and have another look , too dark now.

Cheers Lads

Thank you for your help.

Let you know what they say.

TcG1
17th April, 2011, 09:27 PM
When the commisioned the boiler is it possible they have spilt oil when purging the feed pipe ? and with the heat etc its stinking? othe than that it could be a leak, or just where its a new boiler, esp iuf your not used to the smell of heating oil, 600mm is the norm for openings, can increase or decrease in certain conditions/positions though, def get them back your holding the trump card after all :)

allycoops
18th April, 2011, 11:18 AM
Engineer Coming this afternoon to have a look.
I've had another look in the boiler this morning, no visible leaks that I can see.

They did have problems getting oil from tank to boiler as boiler is higher than tank
but there's some kind of Float in a plastic bubble mounted on wall which draws the oil from tank in case of air lock????

See what the engineer says when he comes

Thanks for all your advice and help Lads.

EDIT:
Engineer found the fumes were coming in via the tube that brings pipes into house. Resealed it with silicon and expandable foam.
Hopefully thats its sorted.
Thanks again for advice and help Lads

reddevil157
18th April, 2011, 06:20 PM
Glad your sorted Ally m8.

Ideally, you want the tank higher than the boiler, the float thing your on about is prob a tigerloop (http://www.westwoodproducts.com/tigerloop.htm)

allycoops
18th April, 2011, 06:48 PM
Yes Mate it's a tigerloop.
I'm new to this type of heating
Unfortunately the tank had to be sited where it was, same as boiler and its higher than tank.

But engineer tested the oil pressure etc today and all ok.

Just have to wait and see if smell goes and doesn't come back.

Thanks again

reddevil157
18th April, 2011, 08:01 PM
ah you'll be grand with the tigerloop m8, just don't let any coont rob your oil now (price of it). :laugh:

allycoops
18th April, 2011, 08:15 PM
60p a litre,

Tank alarmed watchman. but that wont stop them if they want it.