PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to update Openbox s9 firmware

Moyt
20th April, 2011, 04:04 PM
Hi,
Looking towards updating my Openbox s9 HD PVR box.

It already has the following firmware on it:
HDS2-11-01-02:0899CMT

Only problem is the person I've bought it off tells me it's a clone box. And from a bit of reading it looks like some firmware updates can render clone boxes useless??

So I don't know how to approach this. Anyone else here using a clone s9 box without any firmware update problems??

Is there no official site where these firmware updates are posted? I see number of firmware files around the net posted around forums, but reluctant to try any of them out. So far the latest update seems to be that of 04-04-11

Also I?m aware that new firmware updates deletes user settings, like favourites, cam, cline etc settings?
But this can easily be avoided by backing that data onto a usb stick and then easily all put on again once the box is updated? Sorry but can someone clear this for me please.
I spent ages sorting out my favourites folders, I don?t think I could go through all that again lol.

Just need to make sure!http://www.techwatch.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/cool/rudeboy.gif

Thanks http://www.techwatch.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

hooley
20th April, 2011, 05:49 PM
If you arent having any problems, why dont you leave it as is. The newer firmware dosent add much at all

Moyt
20th April, 2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks for replying.

True "if it works don't fix it"

I am happy with the way it works so far. There are some minor problems but nothing waaay tooo major.

One is sometimes the channels may freeze when flicking through them, but tends to happen for the HD channels. This rarely happens though.

I've had the box reboot itself when selecting channels to view, but this again rarely happens.

Final concern is 2 channels show up as scrambled even though the signal intensity and quality are fairly high 74%/86% and EPG show what programs are on.
Two channels are MUTV - Man Utd, and Zee Punjabi. No major problem if there's no way around to sorting this. But still find it strange why just these 2 channels while everything else works perfect.

Not sure what the causes for the above could be, maybe it's nothing to do with the firmware I have and just down to the server I'm using??

I can assume that the firmware I'm already using is good enough and stable to use right now compared to the latest update.

Cheers.

footyaddict
21st April, 2011, 01:21 AM
My guess is that your share doesn't have the required subscription to receive those channels. And as far as the channels freezing that is probabl dependant on thew quality of your share.