PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent signal on existing dish setup

raicho
21st April, 2011, 07:23 PM
Hi guys

Stumbled onto the forum doing a google search trying to solve my current dish problem.

We've recently moved into a new house with a dish on the side - I believe it's an old sky dish. Having plugged our freesat box (Humax Foxsat HD) into the cable it detects no signal what-so-ever.

We're pretty confident the Humax is working, because we took the first one back, and the second one is in the same situation. The cable we have running from the socket to the Humax is also fine (tested on another system).

This has led us to believe the problem is either in the cable running from dish to socket, the dish, or the lnb. We've plugged a signal meter into the socket and it can vary one moment with a really strong signal then instantly drop off to nothing at all. The Humax built in signal guage never shows any signal.

What do you think our problem is likely to be? I've looked at the cable connecting lnb and socket and there doesn't seem to be any obvious problem with it. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what the problem might be...?

Thanks in advance.

snagga
21st April, 2011, 07:32 PM
Welcome to DK.

I would try a new LNB.

Hi guys

Stumbled onto the forum doing a google search trying to solve my current dish problem.

We've recently moved into a new house with a dish on the side - I believe it's an old sky dish. Having plugged our freesat box (Humax Foxsat HD) into the cable it detects no signal what-so-ever.

We're pretty confident the Humax is working, because we took the first one back, and the second one is in the same situation. The cable we have running from the socket to the Humax is also fine (tested on another system).

This has led us to believe the problem is either in the cable running from dish to socket, the dish, or the lnb. We've plugged a signal meter into the socket and it can vary one moment with a really strong signal then instantly drop off to nothing at all. The Humax built in signal guage never shows any signal.

What do you think our problem is likely to be? I've looked at the cable connecting lnb and socket and there doesn't seem to be any obvious problem with it. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what the problem might be...?

Thanks in advance.

raicho
22nd April, 2011, 10:49 AM
Went out last night and picked up a new LNB from maplin before they closed, hooked it up, and a hundred odd channels instantly picked up - cheers for that snagga.

Our Humax box is now showing between 85% and 100% signal strength, however signal quality is showing only 20%. The result seemingly is that more than half those hundred odd channels simply state "no or bad signal", with annoying bars appearing on the picture of those that do pick up.

How can I improve signal quality - is this an alignment issue for the dish and/or LNB?

raicho
22nd April, 2011, 11:00 AM
As an extra quick update, I'm currently running the freesat channel setup program again - it's been running for about 5 minutes now. The signal and quality strength bars display 0% for the most part, but both occassionally jump up to 80-odd% of higher, then drop off again.

cactikid
22nd April, 2011, 11:46 AM
sounds like dish is off slightly

roofer 247
22nd April, 2011, 08:26 PM
you could also try scewing the LNB slightly.I had to do this with a new quad and works a lot better than the orignal one.

wize
27th April, 2011, 01:03 PM
I have to agree with roofer's comment, sounds like the LNB skew, try twisting the LNB to the right while facing the front of the dish.
Usually there is a scale on the lnb holder, try it on setting 2 or 3.

satmannwest
27th April, 2011, 03:28 PM
try looking at socket side m8 sounds like you could have a loose connection as well, might be worth disconnecting cable and join with barrel con to try.

cliffyle
10th September, 2011, 07:45 PM
Dish is off line with satellite, also check it is concave and has'nt popped out in a strong wind!!