PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 1.8 club problems

jasontopnotch
13th December, 2008, 05:45 PM
Heya

Problems are as follows.

Had the head gasket changed and uprated along with all the other gaskets but the car is still losing water a year later, i do check it on a week-2week basis. Unless im doing a motorway trip i will check it on departure and on the way back and top up accordingly.

The headgasket was originally leaking at the back right side where i think the airfilter box is, or around that back right area. i dont think any water mixed with the oil or to the combustion chamber things.

Car never overheats now. did 2/3 times before the new gasket but i just turned the car off and waited for it to cool down.

the exhaust has been looked at 3/4 times about 5 months ago been changed or cut and had a new section welded from center or downpipe to back but been blowing from first time (feb 08) at my garage where i took it back and they put what i can only describe as filler on it. it continued blowing so i went to my mate at work (a mechanic for our company) then the next 2-3 times was looked at by him re welded and other little attempts to stop it still been unsucessful.

smirnoff_rules
13th December, 2008, 07:42 PM
the amount of water pumps lv changed after replacing headgaskets is about 90% ..

water pumps leak then the headgaskets go ...

jasontopnotch
15th December, 2008, 12:06 AM
the amount of water pumps lv changed after replacing headgaskets is about 90% ..

water pumps leak then the headgaskets go ...

Cheers. Il ask my mate to have a look. i didnt actually think about the waterpump lol. i was thinking pipes and radiator but come to think of it i have read forums where water pump was a problem. ill get it checked he'd sort that for a good price

cheers again
J

lookz
10th January, 2009, 06:03 PM
hi smirnoff is right. ive done a lot of rover water problems always do the water pump when replacing head gasket ,also all ways get the head pressure tested and skimed.there is a thermostat up grade to stop engine runing so hot ..ps dont put rad weld in water as rovers dont like it does tell you on back of bottle.hope you get it sorted .. lookz

cmichtobo
10th January, 2009, 10:14 PM
was the cylinder head pressure checked when you had the work done

jasontopnotch
13th January, 2009, 04:11 PM
I did put the car on wheel ramps and notice that the leak may have been coming from the centre(of car engine bay) ive not really decided what to do as of yet. i have the waterleak the exhause and a slight knocking from i think the rear o/s wheel mot in feb soooo, a lil bit annoying. Thinking of upgrading cars to an RX8, BMW 318ci or 320D, Lexus ls200, need some other suggestions aswell im only 22 with 3years no claims but i dont want a car that looks or feels although im stepping downwards if you know what i mean. want to keep a nice size car not really into small hatchbacks like polos dont want to loose the aircon and electric windows blaa. if i did do a hatch it would have to be a 3door sporty one. golf gti 5 but yehh im a little bit fussy about things. was also looking at jag xj8 but im sure the tax and petrol on that will be a little bit pricey insurance ok at full comp 1500 (forgot to metion drive a van on daily basis so i do like a bigger vehicle) cheers for any ideas or advice :D

jasontopnotch
13th January, 2009, 04:25 PM
hi smirnoff is right. ive done a lot of rover water problems always do the water pump when replacing head gasket ,also all ways get the head pressure tested and skimed.there is a thermostat up grade to stop engine runing so hot ..ps dont put rad weld in water as rovers dont like it does tell you on back of bottle.hope you get it sorted .. lookz

Im sure my friend said he took it to his friends garage and had it skimmed and all checked. New long bolt things ect

cactikid
14th January, 2009, 12:30 AM
rovers also suffer from corrosion around waterpipe leading to thermostat and seal on pipe and if ur thinking of replacing stat rover do a complete unit.waterpumps do go on rovers but i would be surprised if that and timing belt kit not replaced while doing headgasket.

SatSearching
14th January, 2009, 01:14 AM
Is this a "K series engine" *shudders*

I did the headgasket, stretchbolts, thermostat, water pump etc on the wifes old K-Series Rover.

As daft as this sounds, take the cap off the header tank, put your mouth round it and see if you can blow through it.

Inside this cap is a pressure relief valve, so if the cooling system over pressures, it will release through the cap.

The origional rover cap is known for the valve to stick open!

After I did all this work on the wifes (and the gasket was shot, fitted a new landrover gasket for Freelander) it still lost water but no oil appearing in the header tank, could never work out why for ages till I ran it for a while with the bonnet up and just saw it coming out of the cap!

Andrew Pages sell replacement caps, is a know issue and finally fixed ours.

jasontopnotch
14th January, 2009, 03:05 PM
Is this a "K series engine" *shudders*

I did the headgasket, stretchbolts, thermostat, water pump etc on the wifes old K-Series Rover.

As daft as this sounds, take the cap off the header tank, put your mouth round it and see if you can blow through it.

Inside this cap is a pressure relief valve, so if the cooling system over pressures, it will release through the cap.

The origional rover cap is known for the valve to stick open!

After I did all this work on the wifes (and the gasket was shot, fitted a new landrover gasket for Freelander) it still lost water but no oil appearing in the header tank, could never work out why for ages till I ran it for a while with the bonnet up and just saw it coming out of the cap!

Andrew Pages sell replacement caps, is a know issue and finally fixed ours.

yep k series. its only my second car :( i didnt think to research it. silly really.

Im sure its not coming from there, its more around the back sumwhere under the injectors. i have replaced that cap recently due to topping up water/coolant and losing the old one lol. Easily happens when u top up regularly.
I think it maybe the headgasket again. do you recon i should carry on with this car or try to trade it in/get shot of it and go for a newer car? car in condition is worth i duno, 750 maybe less but if i push for 1000 in a trade in i might be ok. some companys offer that and have a take an old car off the road policy vauxhall is one example i think.

i also get alot of stick at work for driving this car. people walking infront of it like its a hurst and calling me grandad. lol. can be a laugh sometimes. i really have my heart set on another car i just cant think what i would like. or what i can afford lol.

cactikid
14th January, 2009, 09:37 PM
we use a great product called innovation leak sealer and the amount of leaks it sealed surprised me.

jasontopnotch
15th January, 2009, 06:10 PM
we use a great product called innovation leak sealer and the amount of leaks it sealed surprised me.

Cheers ill look into it.

SatSearching
16th January, 2009, 09:28 PM
Under the injectors??

You know the inlet manifold gasket is known to fail and cause water loss because it is cooled by the water system???? (plastic manifold with water channels in it)

Worth changing it (the gasket), cheap and easy fix, if I remember correctlly the origional inlet manifold gasket is brown, new improved one is green!

But, if you do end up changing the head gasket again, I strongly recommend fitting the improved Landrover Freelander Head gasket, they had the same engine and Landrover saw the head gasket issues and worked on improving it with a new gasket, also propper steel dowels as opposed to the silly plastic locating dowels that rover used on some builds. There is also an improved gasket set known as the "payen" gasket but I went for the genuine Landrover replacement gasket, it even looks far more substantial !

The K series is actually a very good engine, lotus and landrover used it, just there are silly gasket issues that there are some good fixes for now.

SS

yep k series. its only my second car :( i didnt think to research it. silly really.

Im sure its not coming from there, its more around the back sumwhere under the injectors. i have replaced that cap recently due to topping up water/coolant and losing the old one lol. Easily happens when u top up regularly.
I think it maybe the headgasket again. do you recon i should carry on with this car or try to trade it in/get shot of it and go for a newer car? car in condition is worth i duno, 750 maybe less but if i push for 1000 in a trade in i might be ok. some companys offer that and have a take an old car off the road policy vauxhall is one example i think.

i also get alot of stick at work for driving this car. people walking infront of it like its a hurst and calling me grandad. lol. can be a laugh sometimes. i really have my heart set on another car i just cant think what i would like. or what i can afford lol.

jasontopnotch
19th January, 2009, 04:48 PM
Under the injectors??

You know the inlet manifold gasket is known to fail and cause water loss because it is cooled by the water system???? (plastic manifold with water channels in it)

Worth changing it (the gasket), cheap and easy fix, if I remember correctlly the origional inlet manifold gasket is brown, new improved one is green!

But, if you do end up changing the head gasket again, I strongly recommend fitting the improved Landrover Freelander Head gasket, they had the same engine and Landrover saw the head gasket issues and worked on improving it with a new gasket, also propper steel dowels as opposed to the silly plastic locating dowels that rover used on some builds. There is also an improved gasket set known as the "payen" gasket but I went for the genuine Landrover replacement gasket, it even looks far more substantial !

The K series is actually a very good engine, lotus and landrover used it, just there are silly gasket issues that there are some good fixes for now.

SS

Im sure my friend said that he used the upgraded one when he done it and brought the proper metal dowels. i see him everyday so im sure he wouldnt knock me in that way. i payed him quite a bit at the time aswell. for that and a little mini service un stamped i gave him around 500 i think that was just oil air filters oil filters what ever other little things you can do along with the timing belt and the i think exhaust gaskets and head gaskets. ill look into this inlet manifold gasket because if it is that, itd be a great joy that its nothing major and is a qwick and easy fix.

also having trouble changing the head lamp lol on the right side if you was facing the bonet from outside head on, its way to small for me or my little brother to get our hands in to, anything i should take out or off? halfords wouldnt do it for me either :( we did try going through wheel arch but it was still to small

cheers and thanks everyone for your help and suggestions so far.

SatSearching
20th January, 2009, 11:37 PM
For interest though, please keep us posted on the water loss problem if you find it.

SS

jasontopnotch
22nd January, 2009, 07:26 PM
For interest though, please keep us posted on the water loss problem if you find it.

SS

Will do was gunna put it up on ramps today and my other mate, just a car enthusiast, was gonna have a look at my exhaust and the waterleak but couldnt get the ~~~~er to start for some reason, think we killed the batt. but will charge it have it up on the ramps and let you know how it goes.

If you ever want to think of buyin a 75 DONT lol there nice but flippin awkward.

gordy230
22nd January, 2009, 08:33 PM
Will do was gunna put it up on ramps today and my other mate, just a car enthusiast, was gonna have a look at my exhaust and the waterleak but couldnt get the ~~~~er to start for some reason, think we killed the batt. but will charge it have it up on the ramps and let you know how it goes.

If you ever want to think of buyin a 75 DONT lol there nice but flippin awkward.

wat uprated gasket m8 cyl head i mean to wat gasket

smirnoff_rules
22nd January, 2009, 09:00 PM
wat uprated gasket m8 cyl head i mean to wat gasket

ROVER 25 45 75 214 216 218 414 416 UPRATED HEAD GASKET on eBay, also, Rover MGF, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 03-Feb-09 21:29:00 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-25-45-75-214-216-218-414-416-UPRATED-HEAD-GASKET_W0QQitemZ120208917221QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1202089172 21&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1299|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18) here m8

Dreamer
22nd January, 2009, 09:48 PM
I was quite interested to read this post as we have just purchased a Rover 25 1.4i 84
2004 model which has 9700 miles on the clock(genuine apparently according to rac check)

Do the same faults with the head gasket blowing and waterpump faults apply to my model?

Also the dealer had no service record for the car. When should I get it fully serviced?

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/dreamer/albums/smillies/242-vehicle-drive2.gif

smirnoff_rules
22nd January, 2009, 09:55 PM
I was quite interested to read this post as we have just purchased a Rover 25 1.4i 84
2004 model which has 9700 miles on the clock(genuine apparently according to rac check)

Do the same faults with the head gasket blowing and waterpump faults apply to my model?

Also the dealer had no service record for the car. When should I get it fully serviced?

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/dreamer/albums/smillies/242-vehicle-drive2.gif
yes m8 .. normally water pump first , keep and eye on your water lever all the time

Dreamer
22nd January, 2009, 09:58 PM
thanks smirnoff. what about the serviceing interval? when should I get it serviced?

I don't know much about cars. I picked it cause I liked the shape and the colour lol

smirnoff_rules
22nd January, 2009, 10:02 PM
u liked the shape of a Rover 25 lol ... ld get the cambelt changed because its 4 years old and have the pump checked at the same time then ..

Dreamer
22nd January, 2009, 10:13 PM
u liked the shape of a Rover 25 lol ... ld get the cambelt changed because its 4 years old and have the pump checked at the same time then ..

It was that or a punto. I didn't like the shape of the punto and the boot was quite big on the Rover too lol

Its only got 9700 miles on the clock would you replace the cambelt that early?

smirnoff_rules
22nd January, 2009, 10:20 PM
dont think because its done 10k isnt going to last for ever ,,, it doset aways work like that .. age of the belt has a factor and the same with the pump ... but if u paid pennys for the car run it into the ground

jasontopnotch
9th March, 2009, 09:49 AM
Car has been sold off cheap now and gone to someone who is a rover enthusiast. they informed me that the leak was infact the manifold intake.inlet? the exhaust job was really bad and that there was also a hole in the cat.
sad to have seen it gone but purchased a 2005 honda accord 2.2cdti
cheers for all replys and help