PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a newbie

paul_mike
24th April, 2011, 10:51 PM
Hi guys, I want to help a friend mechanic who never really work with computer , his partner left the business and he was the computer guy. My friend is a very good tech and can work anything on a heavy truck, he is smart and fast but for some unknown reason he tried to stay away from computer , internet , email etc. Now he doesn't have a choice and he want to spend time and energy to learn diagnostic using software and pc. He is located in Canada fyi.

So I found a laptop with xp pro sp3 and a nexiq usblink box and want to setup some basic software , no dealer software for now . I have in mind PocketFleet Diagnostic for engine , HeavyTruck 2009 for service components replacement, and some abs brakes software. Next month I hope he'll connect to DK forum. Looking for suggestion for a real real newbie with pc.

Paul

rp1210a
25th April, 2011, 01:19 AM
Paul,

Motor heavy truck 2009 which you can find in this forum is good for diagrams and specs. Pocketfleet is a great choice for pc based diagnostics. Your best bet is to order directly from their website. It is inexpensive, has great customer support, and updated often. You wont need any separate ABS soft Pocketfleet will scan Engine, ABS and Trans. Only when hes ready to do some advanced diagnostics you can add the oem apps.

paul_mike
25th April, 2011, 04:50 AM
Thanks for your comments, just got a email with a offer to buy JPRO Fleet Diagnostic, never use it , do you know if it worth the money.

Paul

ddmech
25th April, 2011, 05:06 AM
I have tried it and is very limited on what it will do.I wouldnt recomend personally.I havent had a chance yet on the pocket pro but have checked it out.Think I will give it a try in the future,Most people that has tried it gives it a good name.Just my two cents,good luck!

rp1210a
25th April, 2011, 05:57 AM
I can only speak for an older version of JPRO,..... GARBAGE. Was able to extend 30day trial to 20 years. Didnt even use it past 2 weeks. Do a search for PF diagnose on this forum and you will pickup more feedback. They have a generic version on ebay that will read codes/data but it doesnt have the enhanced codes that the oem version does.

paul_mike
25th April, 2011, 09:08 PM
OK , thanks , I guess will give a try to PF

Paul