PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillar regen tricks

optimum cetane
26th April, 2011, 04:03 PM
Hello all, i started this thread to maybe get some tricks on reducing regen issues on the Cat line of engines.

I recently came back from a course where we were told that if the ECM see the intake air temp is at -32'C or lower the CGI valve will stay shut, thus increasing power and decreasing excessive soot entering the DPF. The temp sensor is located on the inlet of the turbo, I am unsure of the resistance needed to trick the ECM as i havent had time to play with it yet.

Hope this info helps :top:

truckdoc
26th April, 2011, 05:24 PM
I had one this week that kept shutting down due to needing a regen. I tried to do a manual filter cleaning with the cat software but it still kept shutting down due to the code being active. Tried to clear the code but it requested a factory password - which I did not have access to. Ended up shipping it to the distributor. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time.

charliecooperston
27th April, 2011, 06:01 AM
I cant remember, is that temp sender a 2 or 3 wire sensor. Do you think any codes would come active if ecm seen a constant temp. Thats something that i want to play with too and if have any results ill be sure to post them. thanks.

optimum cetane
27th April, 2011, 06:13 AM
I cant remember, is that temp sender a 2 or 3 wire sensor. Do you think any codes would come active if ecm seen a constant temp. Thats something that i want to play with too and if have any results ill be sure to post them. thanks.

As far as i can see it shouldnt. its no different then a truck running around canada in the winter where the temps stays well below that for 4 months a year. Its the two wire sensors that is mounted in tha intake piping to the LP turbo.:santaclaus:

optimum cetane
27th April, 2011, 06:26 AM
I had one this week that kept shutting down due to needing a regen. I tried to do a manual filter cleaning with the cat software but it still kept shutting down due to the code being active. Tried to clear the code but it requested a factory password - which I did not have access to. Ended up shipping it to the distributor. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time.

Must have had an issue with the regen system, if you have a codes for "particulate trip high most severe" that code will stay active till the ECM see DPf delta pressure within operating specs (not sure the pressure at which it will go inactive) your best friend during a cat regen is to run a datalog prior to starting a regen. change the setting to 20 per minute, and set total time to 1hrs. The following are good parameters to monitor
1--ARD flame temp****
2---ARD fuel pressure ****
3--ARD fuel pressure control command****
4---ARD Pilot fuel pressure****
5--ARD inlet temp
6--ARD outlet temp
7---ARD secondary air gas mass flow****
8--CGI mass flow rate
9---boost pressure
10---DPF differential pressure
11---DPF inlet temp****
12--DPF outlet temp
(the "stared" ones are the main 6 to pay attention to)

be way easier just to get rid off the DPF system, but it looks like we are stuck with it :afraid:

han2542
1st August, 2011, 10:24 PM
have a problem with cat c7 wont regen because of it wont ignite or at least thats what the code say any help on this matter because i am completly lost code is 3473-31
thanks in advance

optimum cetane
3rd August, 2011, 04:06 PM
have a problem with cat c7 wont regen because of it wont ignite or at least thats what the code say any help on this matter because i am completly lost code is 3473-31
thanks in advance

Hi, that code is a failed to ignite code, was there any other active events or codes?

check the spark plug, also check the spark plug ground in the ARD head, i use a pen light to check the gap, the pen light should slide in with a bit of drag, if it doesnt the spark plug ground is bent up and the ARD head needs to be replaced. If the light is loose (quite loose) its bent down and the ard head needs to be replaced.

Maybe you gotta bad coil or relay for the coil, remove spark plug, hook it back up set it on the ard head so u have an 1/8 gap on between the tip of the plug and the ARD head, start the truck and check for spark (coil runs any time truck is running)

Or your fuel filter fittings are plugged and need to be replaced...not much u can check for that.

Or you heated nozzle in yer ARD head is shorted out and your fuel nozzles in yer ARD head are plugged, check the fuse for the heated nozzle, if shes blown replace ARD head and fuse as well as fuel filter fittings.

let me know any more info and i can help you

han2542
4th August, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hi, that code is a failed to ignite code, was there any other active events or codes?

check the spark plug, also check the spark plug ground in the ARD head, i use a pen light to check the gap, the pen light should slide in with a bit of drag, if it doesnt the spark plug ground is bent up and the ARD head needs to be replaced. If the light is loose (quite loose) its bent down and the ard head needs to be replaced.

Maybe you gotta bad coil or relay for the coil, remove spark plug, hook it back up set it on the ard head so u have an 1/8 gap on between the tip of the plug and the ARD head, start the truck and check for spark (coil runs any time truck is running)

Or your fuel filter fittings are plugged and need to be replaced...not much u can check for that.

Or you heated nozzle in yer ARD head is shorted out and your fuel nozzles in yer ARD head are plugged, check the fuse for the heated nozzle, if shes blown replace ARD head and fuse as well as fuel filter fittings.

let me know any more info and i can help you
you where completly right found the problem in the ard ing it was full of soot and dirt wich was not allowing the sistem to ignite this was causing the code and the dpf was was full of soot also preventing this from burning correctly and not allowing the regen to be done right
thank you very much and thanks to dk for having this great forum so peplo and tech can talk and find solutions to problems again a very big thank you to you for helping me out
att
han2542:party :