PDA

View Full Version : Multiroom S9?

bigsofty
27th April, 2011, 06:27 PM
When moving off Sly I lost my multi room capability. The S9 works great but I need one upstairs for a bed room. I have bad net with no option to upgrade, so I can't share just barely download a paid server with no bandwidth to spare.

I have a house LAN and a second LNB routed into the bedroom but I can't get enough net bandwidth to run 2 accounts. So I was hoping that I could get the one downstairs to stream it's cline to the S9 upstairs via the LAN. That is, the one on the net acts as a server for the one that can't use the net.

I am not sure if this is possible?

Any advice is greatly apprieciated.

Veggie

dell_xps
27th April, 2011, 07:31 PM
Why do people think you need a fast connection to run one of these boxes ?

bigsofty
27th April, 2011, 08:19 PM
My connection is maxed out, its 256kbits, I live on a Scottish island and its the fastest I can get, opening a webpage freezes the picture as is. I am very happy it works at all to be honest.

So accessing more net bandwidth is not an option without turning one box off I am afraid, Ive tried.

As I said, if I can one box to act as a card server for the next, then that would be great.

dell_xps
27th April, 2011, 09:03 PM
Any chance you can buy a pre paid dongle or that ?

mickm1
27th April, 2011, 10:05 PM
Im pretty sure the answer is no. Unfortunately u say ur internet is crap and u see this as the only viable option, however for the guys running ur server its neither here nor there and its really ur problem. Its rare that u wil get a server to alow another "hop" without paying any more.

Whats to stop others saying this and and avoid paying another sub, best check with whoever provides ur C-line but i reckon ur onto plums.

Mick

southpaw
27th April, 2011, 10:24 PM
Can be done mate . Depends what sharing rights your c line provider has granted you . Most pay servers give no re shares . However explain your dilemma and tell him it be on same home network and he may sort you out for a couple quid extra

bigsofty
1st May, 2011, 12:37 AM
Many thanks for all your help guys, I will contact the server admin and have a wee chat tosses at options I have.

citygent1911
4th May, 2011, 01:51 PM
Many thanks for all your help guys, I will contact the server admin and have a wee chat tosses at options I have.

How did you get on bigsofty?

bigsofty
5th May, 2011, 01:15 AM
2nd S9 on order, admin allowing second line to test bandwidth (at 50% cost), so will be trying that 1st. Creating LAN s9 server for hop, is the 2nd option if bandwidth fails.

citygent1911
6th May, 2011, 06:12 PM
2nd S9 on order, admin allowing second line to test bandwidth (at 50% cost), so will be trying that 1st. Creating LAN s9 server for hop, is the 2nd option if bandwidth fails.

Not a bad result then!