PDA

View Full Version : Ebook Readers

Evastar
28th April, 2011, 12:00 PM
i've been reading a couple of ebooks on my laptop and was wondering is there much difference between that and using a proper ebook reader?

also if i wanted to get an ebook reader, what make would you recommend? i don't want to spend too much, but would want to get a decent one at the same time :)

SG8
28th April, 2011, 01:16 PM
I would be inclined to buy a cheap tablet that lets you use it as an e-reader instead of just buying an e-reader.

chroma
28th April, 2011, 01:27 PM
Kindle wifi for like ?100 and I slated it for years, but to be honest its been worth its weight in gold.

It kinda feels like reading off an etch-a-sketch but you get used to it, and it holds a charge forever, I think I've recharged mines twice this year and its in pretty much constant use.

The only downside is its pdf reader, its not great but that can be worked around by converting it in caliber to something more friendly like a .mobi

If you read a lot of books then id recommend it, ive saved well over a grand at this point.
If you only read a little, then stick to the laptop.

SouthernComfort
28th April, 2011, 03:04 PM
Kindle wifi for like ?100 and I slated it for years, but to be honest its been worth its weight in gold.

It kinda feels like reading off an etch-a-sketch but you get used to it, and it holds a charge forever, I think I've recharged mines twice this year and its in pretty much constant use.

The only downside is its pdf reader, its not great but that can be worked around by converting it in caliber to something more friendly like a .mobi

If you read a lot of books then id recommend it, ive saved well over a grand at this point.
If you only read a little, then stick to the laptop.

Need to be handled VERY carefully, the screens are prone to cracking rendering them useless. Kindle will replace some free of charge but if not will set you back ?90.

Great for reading but I would recommend a cheap android tablet, will do what you want and more for the same money.

Evastar
28th April, 2011, 09:52 PM
okay so any tablet in particular? :)

SouthernComfort
29th April, 2011, 03:12 AM
There are so many to choose from would be hard to pick one.
Work out which size you would like, budget, any features you would like and take it from there.
Best advice would be to try out a few in your local retailers to see how they handle for you, I prefer 10" screens but a 7" may be more suitable for you (portability).
One thing you can be assured of is that it will read any file format you throw at it. As a book reader you won't require a blazing fast processor but you may want to watch your favourite movies or stream your dreambox while in your garden.
There are plenty of Chinese 'variants' but build quality ranges greatly, kind of take your chances but you won't find cheaper.
If you post a rough idea of what you would like I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions.

You could have the Kogan Agora 7" for ?89

"The Agora tablet has a capacitive touchscreen with 800?480 resolution. It is driven by a 1GHz Samsung ARM Cortex A8 processor and 512MB of RAM. It has only 4GB of internal storage, but at that price you should be able to fork out for a microSD card to supplement the available data storage."

The Motorola Xoom is a beautiful thing but pricey.

Evastar
29th April, 2011, 09:18 AM
i want to be able to read in the garden, and i would like to be able to use msn or browse forums on it, also would like decent battery life.

Not bothered about watching or downloading movies etc.

Shady
29th April, 2011, 09:23 AM
get a cheapo android pad eva..
ebay, toys r us, asda etc
Elonex eTouch 7" Android Tablet PC - Toys R Us - Britain's greatest toy store (http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Computers/Laptops/Elonex-eTouch-7-Android-Tablet-PC%280082824%29)

Etouch 7in Wi-Fi Android Tablet and Keyboard Case | Tablets and eBooks | ASDA direct (http://direct.asda.com/Etouch-7in-Wi-Fi-Android-Tablet-and-Keyboard-Case/000507059,default,pd.html)

SouthernComfort
29th April, 2011, 01:31 PM
i want to be able to read in the garden, and i would like to be able to use msn or browse forums on it, also would like decent battery life.

Not bothered about watching or downloading movies etc.

Kogan's U.K. website seems to be down at the moment but for the price will be hard to beat.

tawke
29th April, 2011, 06:12 PM
Leave the tablet and just get a Kindle. It's perfect for reading books. Wherever you can read a real book you can read a Kindle. The screen is matte and non reflective and much easier on the eyes than a tablet. It's also far lighter.

Don't get me wrong, tablets are great but if you want the best reading experience, which I know you do :) , then an e-book reader is the only way to go. The Kindle just happens to be the best, and you'll only need to charge it every few weeks.

Check the reviews :top:

Evastar
29th April, 2011, 07:10 PM
thanks tawke :)

does it matter which model i go for? is there much of a difference between them?

tawke
29th April, 2011, 07:27 PM
thanks tawke :)

does it matter which model i go for? is there much of a difference between them?

Depends if you want to download books when you are away from wifi.

Since most of the places I read books have wifi ( hols, cafe's etc ) or I have already loaded the content I didn't see the point of spending the extra.

Get the cheapest :)

Evastar
29th April, 2011, 07:31 PM
well i would probably download books onto my laptop and then transfer them onto kindle? :)

tawke
29th April, 2011, 08:07 PM
well i would probably download books onto my laptop and then transfer them onto kindle? :)

So pointless having a 3G addon then :)

Though there have been a few times when I wish I had it to get the latest newspaper for instance. I still think the basic model is the one to get.

Evastar
29th April, 2011, 08:18 PM
that's great,thanks a million tawke.

is it the same price everywhere, or cheaper some places? and what model am i looking for, i heard there are older models that aren't great?

tawke
29th April, 2011, 08:21 PM
that's great,thanks a million tawke.

is it the same price everywhere, or cheaper some places? and what model am i looking for, i heard there are older models that aren't great?

Just order it from Amazon. You can get it in the high street if you want and if you do the only one you'll be able to get is the latest.

Should cost ?111 wherever you get it. Kindle

Evastar
29th April, 2011, 08:23 PM
so should i be able to get one in Tesco or Power City here for the same price? :)

tawke
29th April, 2011, 08:30 PM
so should i be able to get one in Tesco or Power City here for the same price? :)

They should be yes but I don't think everywhere stocks them. I know PCWorld do but not sure where else.

PCWorld ?111 (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/amazon-kindle-wireless-reading-device-wi-fi-only-available-through-collect-store-08665555-pdt.html)

Evastar
29th April, 2011, 08:33 PM
we have PCWorld here, will take a look, thanks again :)

tawke
29th April, 2011, 08:36 PM
we have PCWorld here, will take a look, thanks again :)

Hope you get one. I have loads more books to send you and I'm sure the wife will read anything you send, if I don't :)

Evastar
29th April, 2011, 08:38 PM
am definitely going to get one, have too many books cluttering up the house at the min, and they are far too expensive anyway. :)

let me know if there's anything in particular she wants, i can see if i can get my hands on them for her, i have a couple of friends that have quite an e-library :)

Evastar
29th April, 2011, 10:01 PM
hmm, having a few problems here, don't appear to be able to buy a kindle anywhere in ireland, amazon.co.uk don't sell them to ireland, and any of the sites that do don't appear to accept paypal :(

edit, this shop does, 135 euro and free delivery to ireland :)

http://electronics.simplyelectronics.net/search?p=Q&lbc=simplyelectronics&uid=51086006&ts=custom&w=Kindle%206%20inch&af=br:kindleamazon&isort=score&method=and&view=grid&currency=eur&gclid=CI26lfHPwqgCFUFC4QodQUzDog

tawke
30th April, 2011, 02:08 PM
hmm, having a few problems here, don't appear to be able to buy a kindle anywhere in ireland, amazon.co.uk don't sell them to ireland, and any of the sites that do don't appear to accept paypal :(

Simply Electronics - Search Results for Kindle 6 inch (http://electronics.simplyelectronics.net/search?p=Q&lbc=simplyelectronics&uid=51086006&ts=custom&w=Kindle%206%20inch&af=br:kindleamazon&isort=score&method=and&view=grid&currency=eur&gclid=CI26lfHPwqgCFUFC4QodQUzDog)

Just had a bit of read about this, how bizarre. Seems if the Kindle is not registered to a UK address you might not be able to use it to download books from Amazon. Not a huge problem but very annoying.

Evastar
30th April, 2011, 07:42 PM
yes, i might have to get them from amazon.com. strange one.

Evastar
4th May, 2011, 04:13 PM
did a bit of research into this and ended up buying one from here: Accessories Computing - Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6 inch Display Wi-Fi Graphite) - Latest Generation (http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=12526)

it said on their site that they accepted Laser card but when i tried to order using one it didn't, i rang their sales line and they said that they stopped taking Laser a while ago, so i had to use paypal, as i currently don't have a credit card.

Grizz
4th May, 2011, 04:49 PM

Simply Electronics - Search Results for Kindle 6 inch (http://electronics.simplyelectronics.net/search?p=Q&lbc=simplyelectronics&uid=51086006&ts=custom&w=Kindle%206%20inch&af=br:kindleamazon&isort=score&method=and&view=grid&currency=eur&gclid=CI26lfHPwqgCFUFC4QodQUzDog)

just a note to anyone buying off these guys. check them out on google before deciding to purchase. Sorry Eva i missed the name before you purchased.

Evastar
4th May, 2011, 06:53 PM
lol doesn't sound good. i used paypal though, so if there are any probs i'll get a refund off them.

edit: decided to cancel the order as i wasn't happy with the comments on google about 'grey goods' and items maybe not having a manufacturers warranty. rang them, he said i had to email to cancel the order, so i have done that, will let you know how it goes.

Evastar
7th May, 2011, 04:13 PM
well have had a few emails from them at this stage, they supposedly have a representative dealing with my order cancellation and refund, if i don't hear anything about it by wednesday i'll open a paypal dispute.

i ordered a kindle from amazon.com (using credit card) it came to 136 euro including postage and taxes.

Evastar
9th May, 2011, 08:53 AM
Update: full refund from Simply Electronics paid into my paypal account this morning :)

Evastar
9th May, 2011, 02:38 PM
yippee my kindle just arrived, only ordered it from amazon in the us last friday lol