PDA

View Full Version : Shower problem

mickydibble
28th April, 2011, 04:31 PM
Hey chaps n chapesses,got a problem with electric shower it turns on the light is on etc....but thing is no water comes through it as always been fine till now?

daithi
28th April, 2011, 06:58 PM
is it making noise ie the pump is working

if so its probably lime in the head
or theres a filter in the shower if ya take off the front of it yal see it unscrew it and rinse it out

id buy a good lime scale remover and soak them in it

mickydibble
28th April, 2011, 08:27 PM
i will check thnx daithi

cactikid
28th April, 2011, 08:28 PM
go check the tank for water,also most electric showers have a gauze for water entering unit,check it is not stuffed
removing shower head one way of knowing if blocked

Grizz
28th April, 2011, 10:31 PM
if it is the filter theres a little wheel close to it for bleeding after you replace it (make sure you turn off the isolation switch before opening unit)

mickydibble
29th April, 2011, 11:30 AM
Thank guys :) will check all when at home and let u know :)

mickydibble
6th May, 2011, 09:42 AM
Ok I have had the shower head off,and thepipe right upto the shower itself,it runs direct from pipe and not a overhead tank,I havn't took the front off yet but can't here any noise when switched on,do you think it may be pump then?do all showers have pumps cheers micky.

Ps:my mains water as been known to spit shit out every now and again think it old lead pipe on main inlet to house

gunnwoom
6th May, 2011, 07:50 PM
No not all showers have pumps could be the inlet valve is broken or sticking not sure how easy this would be to fix or replace if not this it could be the main p.c.b I have had to replace one of these my self and is reletively straight forward
Hope this helps

mickydibble
11th May, 2011, 01:44 PM
Ok I took the bit with the filter in that connects to the inlet pipe out and cleaned it out quite a lot of crap came out lead bits?.replaced everything back and still doesn't work, do you think that the lead etc as got into the rest looks like a pump then into water heater?? And should I attempt to clean the these as well?.

Ps: can the mains wire to a 9.5kw shower run a 10.8Kw shower??

chucklor
11th May, 2011, 03:51 PM
Ok I took the bit with the filter in that connects to the inlet pipe out and cleaned it out quite a lot of crap came out lead bits?.replaced everything back and still doesn't work, do you think that the lead etc as got into the rest looks like a pump then into water heater?? And should I attempt to clean the these as well?.

Ps: can the mains wire to a 9.5kw shower run a 10.8Kw shower??

You can clean it out micky but you could end up going round in circles, the cable feeding your 9.5KW shower should be a 10mm and this should more than adequate for a 10.8KW, which I assume is the one you are looking at as a replacement, but please check it out micky as a lot of people assume that you can nip to B&Q and get any shower and fit it, but if the cable is 6mm and has not been upgraded you are asking for trouble. Also you will need to check the mcb in your fuse box accordingly. For your 9.5KW shower it is 9500/230= 41.3A so you would need a 45A breaker, but for a 10.8KW shower it is 10800/230= 46.9A so you would need a 50A breaker and showers have to be RCD protected. I know it seems like a lot of hassel mate but I would rather you a yours be safe ...chuck

mickydibble
11th May, 2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks chucklor the shower was put in about 18 months ago,I got that particular one because it was said to work well on low pressure it's a Mira vie 9.5kw and the mains wire was done specifically for the wattage so presuming it is the 10mm you say.
Would rather try and fix than spend the ?100+ on a new but same make bigger wattage shower,looking at one same for the sake of just swapping over,couldn't here any noise when switched on,the shower is under guarentee still and when I rang them they said it may be the selloniod?! And sending proof of purchase which I have they will send that spare part,they offered to come but if the problem isn't the shower itself it would cost me to sort ?100+ so kind of stuck cheers micky

chucklor
11th May, 2011, 06:57 PM
On doing a bit of reading mickey, the vie 9.5 mira comes with a comprehensive 2 years guarentee, you are within your full rights to request a replacement and I don't think in my experience that they would question your actions, the only problem with trying to fix it yourself, is if you are not successful they could say you are neither qualified or competent to carry out this repair thus making your warranty void, be careful mate I have seen this "old chestnut" before...chuck http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/mira-vie-electric-shower-3300-18179

mickydibble
11th May, 2011, 07:13 PM
On doing a bit of reading mickey, the vie 9.5 mira comes with a comprehensive 2 years guarentee, you are within your full rights to request a replacement and I don't think in my experience that they would question your actions, the only problem with trying to fix it yourself, is if you are not successful they could say you are neither qualified or competent to carry out this repair thus making your warranty void, be careful mate I have seen this "old chestnut" before...chuck http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/mira-vie-electric-shower-3300-18179

What do you suggest I tell them,because they offered to send someone out when I rang or send a replacement part.they didn't mention a new unit,what could I say ie:someone looked and it's the? Not sure micky

chucklor
11th May, 2011, 07:52 PM
You can tell them the truth mickey, you bought the product from them and it has now developed a fault and you don't have the knowledge or experience to fix it, you have also spoke to 2 proffessional people, a plumber and an electrician and they have both advised you to ask for an exchange.Ask them why they offer a comprehensive guarantee and are now offering spare parts, and in the opinion of the two tradesmen this is not acceptable, also mickey don't tell them about the debris issue as they may use it against you. You are the innocent party here use it to your advantage I'm sure they don't want someone like trading standards involved...

mickydibble
11th May, 2011, 08:03 PM
Cheers chucklor will ring them again , good advice m8 ;)

mickydibble
17th May, 2011, 02:49 PM
engineer came today panicking about whether it was shower or using fault as i would of been charged.
anyway he came and it was the soliniod and now all fixed and workin cheers guys,only cost mee ?100 when bought 1.1/2 year ago and its been fixed as well chuffed,just for interest what would this have cost if i had someone fix this?

chucklor
17th May, 2011, 03:36 PM
As an electician mickey we don't usualy do a fault diagnostic unless it is something obvious, the reason being it is usually more cost efficicent for the customer, ie call out a spark get him to strip the unit down, determine the faulty component, go away and order it, come back and refit. So in answer to your question like for like exchange mate about ?250 including parts...chuck

mickydibble
17th May, 2011, 04:39 PM
As an electician mickey we don't usualy do a fault diagnostic unless it is something obvious, the reason being it is usually more cost efficicent for the customer, ie call out a spark get him to strip the unit down, determine the faulty component, go away and order it, come back and refit. So in answer to your question like for like exchange mate about ?250 including parts...chuck

Cheers mate obviously Mira are the dogs danglees cheers for help chuck lol