PDA

View Full Version : how much shower n tiling ?

bigfella
2nd May, 2011, 10:45 PM
hi wonder if any one knew a fair price to fit a power shower (pump incorparated in unit ...mira ...?160) from new ...no pipes in or electric s .....boiler s tank next door,,,other side of wall to where the shower is goin and electric unit down the stairs directly underneath...also am gettin two smallish walls tiled ......any one have a idea wat s a fair price( ob appox without seein it ) ...supply and fitted ?????...many thanks and much appreciated

ontherack
3rd May, 2011, 10:31 AM
may be easier for someone to work out if you give some sizes/area to be tiled etc, and what about tanking? get a price for that as well, don,t forget plumbing and electrics to be certified for safety reasons. my guees at a price would be approx ?1000-1200. :stoned:

chucklor
3rd May, 2011, 03:28 PM
If you are fitting a electric shower you will have to introduce a seperate 15mm water supply from mains, they are not fitted on the the tank, this would require a plumber to run a feed from the nearest COLD supply, this should incorperate a 15mm isolation valve. As for the electrics you need a spark to run a 10mm cable from your consumer unit(fuse box) to a 45A isolation point or pull switch and then to the shower itself, the installation must be RCD protected, and then the whole instalation has to be tested. Tilers usually charge by the m2, and work out generally cheaper than having a plumber do it. So the answer to your question is get a couple of quotes from the relevant parties, myself as a spark would charge between ?150-?220 for the electrics depending on the run. It starts increasing if you have to start introducing RCD or RCBO protection. Sorry for being a bit here and there but the only real way of determine the costs is get several quotes....chuck

thered
4th May, 2011, 07:10 PM
If you are fitting a electric shower you will have to introduce a seperate 15mm water supply from mains, they are not fitted on the the tank, this would require a plumber to run a feed from the nearest COLD supply, this should incorperate a 15mm isolation valve. As for the electrics you need a spark to run a 10mm cable from your consumer unit(fuse box) to a 45A isolation point or pull switch and then to the shower itself, the installation must be RCD protected, and then the whole instalation has to be tested. Tilers usually charge by the m2, and work out generally cheaper than having a plumber do it. So the answer to your question is get a couple of quotes from the relevant parties, myself as a spark would charge between ?150-?220 for the electrics depending on the run. It starts increasing if you have to start introducing RCD or RCBO protection. Sorry for being a bit here and there but the only real way of determine the costs is get several quotes....chuck

when i have fitted them chuck i have taken the cold pipe that feeds the tank into a T connector and used that with an isolation valve is that not correct ?

i am not spark plumber or tiler but i have fitted a few this way

chucklor
8th May, 2011, 06:19 PM
No its not incorrect thered, but the reason that you usually have a mains pressure feed is that the water pressure is usually higher and more constant, by fitting it to the cold tank feed you are governed by the pressure head (distance from the tank and the inlet feed) also as the water is run the header tank gets lower thus decreasing the pressure slightly or something like that mate....chuck

gizmo.1484
8th May, 2011, 06:28 PM
when i have fitted them chuck i have taken the cold pipe that feeds the tank into a T connector and used that with an isolation valve is that not correct ?

i am not spark plumber or tiler but i have fitted a few this way

It is better to fit the electric shower to the main cold water feed has the pressure is a lot better than from a tank and is recommended by all electric shower manufacturer...

mrgasman
9th May, 2011, 06:54 PM
General rule of thumb for tiling is about ?30 a square meter but it depends on the size of the tile. Also porcelain and granite tiles are more expensive as they require wet cuts.
For your plumbing and if it is indeed right through the wall then the hot feed should be no problem as your plumber can use an essex flange on your cylinder for the hot feed but will need to run a separate cold from the tank in the loft. Should be simple enough a run as the cylinder is being fed by it. Generally plumbers look to charge around ?150 a day for labour only. I could probably get that plumbing sorted in a day going off your description. Expect a reasonable materials bill also as pipe and fittings nowadays are extortionate.