PDA

View Full Version : What Chiminea?

Evastar
4th May, 2011, 11:53 AM
i want to get a chiminea, but amn't sure what type to get, how big, what you can burn etc etc

has anyone here got one and how do they find it? :)

thered
4th May, 2011, 06:10 PM
i got a pot one from b n q

wasnt very impressed tbh might be ok if it was very large

and it developed a crack too and the split when dog knocked it

friend has an iron one which was of similar size but IMO was better seemed hotter and it had a guard and handles to enable it to be moved which can be handy as the night gets colder

tbh though i find that an old oil drum works best with holes in but they dont look the best and go rusty lol

Walkinmyshadow
4th May, 2011, 06:30 PM
I have a metal one, and find it great.. gets really hot though so you wouldn't want small kids running about near it!!
I use hardwood blocks that dont smoke as much as softwoods, but briquettes and a little coal should be fine as well.
i find using a cheap hot-air gun is invaluable in getting it going at the beginning and cuts down on the smoke emitted while its lighting up.
I've seen some of these clay chimineas and they do look good, but they need to be "cured" gradually when new with small fires so they dont crack!!!
Ive seen a clay chiminea that doubled up as a pizza oven!!
sounds like a great idea, but whether it was practical or not is another thing.
One more thing, try and get one with a tall chimney on it, the higher the better to take away the smoke when its lighting up.

Evastar
7th May, 2011, 10:22 AM
thanks guys, i've decided to go for this one from homebase: Monterrey Cast Iron Chimenea from Homebase.co.uk (http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=113206&c_3=4|cat_14267981|Chimineas|14345119&c_2=2|cat_14047043|Outdoor+lighting+and+heating|14 345089&c_1=1|category_root|Outdoor+Living|14047043)

with the really cold temps last winter a lot of ceramic pots cracked, so decided against ceramics. when i asked around a friend of mind bought this one recently and is very happy with it. i will put tiles under this one on the decking, to stop any sparks, ashes etc damaging the wood :)

Kalipo
7th May, 2011, 11:01 AM
I use one of these

http://www.gerratt.co.uk/images/gbm.jpg burns anything.. plastic.. rubber.. the lot.. :)

These work quite well

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/06/19/wheeliebin.jpg

Evastar
7th May, 2011, 11:03 AM
thanks kal, they would look really attractive when i have friends round for a bbq :)

Kalipo
7th May, 2011, 11:09 AM
Make sure you take pictures..

http://i.thisis.co.uk/275520/article/images/2369036/1653010-vlarge.JPG

http://www.housingnews.co.uk/enews/images/Barbara%20Houghton%20bin-loc.JPG

http://m.gmgrd.co.uk/res/990.$plit/C_71_article_1062373_image_list_image_list_item_0_ image.jpg?13%2F08%2F2008%2010%3A50%3A02%3A734

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs8y7a_Thbp28njG7p4Nd4a42gAcBmq Au8cTaoVQSlZsB7fI-A

These lonely people need to get new friends.. wheelie bins for friendship is a little weired.

daithi
7th May, 2011, 11:21 AM
are you allowed use them in dublin eva with the ban on burning turf etc

Evastar
7th May, 2011, 11:28 AM
are you allowed use them in dublin eva with the ban on burning turf etc

we are allowed to burn turf as far as i know daithi, it's just coal we can't burn, wood and peat briquettes and charcoal are okay. lots of people have them :)

daithi
7th May, 2011, 12:18 PM
we are allowed to burn turf as far as i know daithi, it's just coal we can't burn, wood and peat briquettes and charcoal are okay. lots of people have them :)

i see i thought it was anything that created smoke
ah sure what would i no anyway im only a culchie lol

Evastar
7th May, 2011, 04:02 PM
i got the one i liked in homebase, have to say the staff were lovely, i rang the other day and was told that there was 15% off this weekend if you had a voucher, its called 'family and friends' so i asked when i went up and they gave me a 15% off voucher :)

spoke to a lovely guy about putting the chiminea on decking and he advised me to get a special type of tile that was heat resistant to put it on, and explained how i should put sand in the bottom of the chiminea to stop it getting too hot. he also said not to burn charcoal, just wood or briquettes and that i should store it for the winter not just cover it; as well as getting everything for me and carrying it all out to the car :)

it took me about an hour to assemble and looks great, can't wait to use it now :)

nara
7th May, 2011, 04:26 PM
Chim chiminea, chim chiminea, chim chim cheree....

...er, sorry. :embarassed:

Evastar
7th May, 2011, 04:27 PM
Chim chiminea, chim chiminea, chim chim cheree....

...er, sorry. :embarassed:

lmao, showing your age there! ;)

YouTube - Chim Chim Cher-ee Sing Along

mrgasman
7th May, 2011, 06:42 PM
Get as big a one as you can as it's a right pain chopping bit's of wood small enough to fit in the opening. I have a battery operated skill saw so It's not to bad but it means i have to have wood prepared beforehand.
In this case size does matter ;)

Evastar
7th May, 2011, 06:44 PM
thanks, the front opening is quite large on it so i will easily fit the split logs i bought in the winter in it :)

am quite excited about it now, looking forward to using it lol

Walkinmyshadow
7th May, 2011, 08:24 PM
i got the one i liked in homebase, have to say the staff were lovely, i rang the other day and was told that there was 15% off this weekend if you had a voucher, its called 'family and friends' so i asked when i went up and they gave me a 15% off voucher :)

spoke to a lovely guy about putting the chiminea on decking and he advised me to get a special type of tile that was heat resistant to put it on, and explained how i should put sand in the bottom of the chiminea to stop it getting too hot. he also said not to burn charcoal, just wood or briquettes and that i should store it for the winter not just cover it; as well as getting everything for me and carrying it all out to the car :)

it took me about an hour to assemble and looks great, can't wait to use it now :)

Are you sure he wasnt hitting on you?? :roflmao:
That chiminea you got is almost identical to the one i have ;)
Didnt know about that sand at the bottom trick tho ;)
Just a quick note..You can use coal in urban areas in Ireland, it just has to be smokeless....but its not very suitable for chimineas anyway.. just a lump or two to keep it going.
And as i said in a previous post i use hardwoods as much as possible..
Look up joinery shops in your area, i'm sure they would be more than happy to give you scraps of waste timber or even some shavings!!..
and if you have a choice go with oak.... but cedarwood, though it burns fast has an amazing aroma if you can get your hands on it.

Evastar
8th May, 2011, 12:06 PM
i should have thought of that yesterday, was talking to a guy that is a manager in a local joinery firm, will mention it next time i see him. good idea, thanks :)

would love to light it today but it's really windy and the neighbours have their washing out :(

thered
8th May, 2011, 12:24 PM
thanks guys, i've decided to go for this one from homebase: Monterrey Cast Iron Chimenea from Homebase.co.uk (http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=113206&c_3=4|cat_14267981|Chimineas|14345119&c_2=2|cat_14047043|Outdoor+lighting+and+heating|14 345089&c_1=1|category_root|Outdoor+Living|14047043)

with the really cold temps last winter a lot of ceramic pots cracked, so decided against ceramics. when i asked around a friend of mind bought this one recently and is very happy with it. i will put tiles under this one on the decking, to stop any sparks, ashes etc damaging the wood :)

thats exactly the same as i mentioned earlier in thread handy too as you can move it about when its hot

i would advise 2 people and some protection for your hnad cos they certainly get hot