PDA

View Full Version : Vuo duo is it worth it?

neolxs
7th May, 2011, 11:07 PM
Hi there, thinking of taking the plunge and spending the cash on a Vu Duo, but was wondering about a few things and hopefully someone could help?

1, does the Vu Duo support the red button feature, for instance can I press the red button on BBC1 and get Digital text?

2, Does the Vu Duo support a full 7 day EPG including SKY HD channels?

3, is this box the closest thing you can get to a SKY HD box?

4, What more can this do apart from a dual tuner that a DM800 cant do?

5, how likely is it something better and cheaper might come out in a few months?

6, Anyone know of a good cheap stockist?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give!

RuberDuck
8th May, 2011, 05:54 AM
Hi there, thinking of taking the plunge and spending the cash on a Vu Duo, but was wondering about a few things and hopefully someone could help?

1, does the Vu Duo support the red button feature, for instance can I press the red button on BBC1 and get Digital text?

2, Does the Vu Duo support a full 7 day EPG including SKY HD channels?

3, is this box the closest thing you can get to a SKY HD box?

4, What more can this do apart from a dual tuner that a DM800 cant do?

5, how likely is it something better and cheaper might come out in a few months?

6, Anyone know of a good cheap stockist?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give!

1. only branded receivers from the service providers can access the RED BUTTON services in the way you want. however you can access the streams these services use manually such as the BBCi sports feeds on any receiver.

2. the Vu like all linux based receivers can use third party epg providers such as rytek. with the proper image ( i prefer VIX ) you can have a full 7 day and more EPG.

3. the closest thing you can get to a sky+HD box is a sky+HD box. linux boxes are not for novices but properly setup they can do the same as a sky box and much much more

4. you can live stream channels to a pc / mac. you can use custom made bouquets and picon packs. the list is huge and only limited to what the DEVS can imaging up.

5. not at all likely, unless you want to go for a clone.

6. i will pm you. but bear in mind you dont want to go for the cheapest you want to go for a reputable seller who will honor the warranty and give good after sales support.

dell_xps
8th May, 2011, 07:08 AM
Buy the best you can afford, Vu Duo is the Rolls Royce of linux boxes,
easy to get up and running from scratch, 100 times better than Sly's boxes imho,
buy it, you will not regret it !
I believe a guy on Ebay accepts ?300 best offer.
HTH
PS, use the team vix image if you buy it :-)

cactikid
8th May, 2011, 07:59 AM
100 times better wow thats big,very pleased with it despite not a liker of linux yet,yes i think worth the money.

dell_xps
8th May, 2011, 09:28 AM
Never used Linux either, and lets face it you dont need any knowledge of linux
to get it up and running :-)
The guys who do all the hard work, Team Vix etc, know all about Linux, so we just just
need to do the easy stuff !

tucker
9th May, 2011, 04:11 PM
Can you record one channel whilst watching another just like sly.

dell_xps
9th May, 2011, 05:14 PM
Yes you can, you can actually record a few channels if they are on the same
transponder.

RuberDuck
9th May, 2011, 08:11 PM
Can you record one channel whilst watching another just like sly.

that depends on how you have things setup.
if you have two feeds, ie one for each tuner card then yes you can use the box exactly like a sky + box and record any channel while watching another.

if however you use the loop through facility ie use 1 feed looped through both tuners you can only watch and record channels on the same transponder

tucker
9th May, 2011, 08:42 PM
that depends on how you have things setup.
if you have two feeds, ie one for each tuner card then yes you can use the box exactly like a sky + box and record any channel while watching another.

if however you use the loop through facility ie use 1 feed looped through both tuners you can only watch and record channels on the same transponder

Just the info I needed I have two feeds and I'm planning on using it just Like sky +, thank you for your help.

dell_xps
9th May, 2011, 08:53 PM
Just the info I needed I have two feeds and I'm planning on using it just Like sky +, thank you for your help.

It's better than the sly box :-)

RuberDuck
9th May, 2011, 09:32 PM

in that case once setup you will be very happy with the box. yes there will be some work needed from you to set things up but once done you wont ever want another sky box again.

WILDHALF
26th May, 2011, 09:18 PM
6. i will pm you. but bear in mind you dont want to go for the cheapest you want to go for a reputable seller who will honor the warranty and give good after sales support.

Any chance you could do the same for me??

drahcirk03
27th May, 2011, 08:26 PM
Never used Linux either, and lets face it you dont need any knowledge of linux
to get it up and running :-)
The guys who do all the hard work, Team Vix etc, know all about Linux, so we just just
need to do the easy stuff !

dont know about that, iv had it for 3days ,and am not getting anywhere yet, and i used to own a tm6900, super, way to over complicated,

RuberDuck
27th May, 2011, 08:34 PM
dont know about that, iv had it for 3days ,and am not getting anywhere yet, and i used to own a tm6900, super, way to over complicated,

i will agree that linux boxes are not plug and play and they do require some reading to set up but you dont need any prior linux knowledge to use them.

wizard55
12th June, 2011, 11:46 AM
Hi,

With all the rumours with CS possibly coming to an end like australia, If i buy a vu duo box,can I get a FTA card to get itv 1-4 hd and all bbc etc. Note living in ireland, but persume i could order a Uk fta card somewhere. Just dodnt want to spend 400 euros and have a doorstopper.;)

cactikid
12th June, 2011, 12:05 PM
somehow i dont think this box will get a doors topper award:hahaha:

rd in earlier post i read about the vu+duo loop through,how is that done only got 2 inputs no outputs:D,or were you thinking of another model cheers.

RuberDuck
12th June, 2011, 12:30 PM
i may have typed duo by mistake and meant the uno as the uno has lnb in and out on the same tuner, allowing for LNB loop through. as for door stoppers ? doubtfull, there are around 65 satellite networks up there receivable from the uk and ireland, sky uk being just one of them.

neolxs
12th June, 2011, 01:34 PM
Hi,

With all the rumours with CS possibly coming to an end like australia, If i buy a vu duo box,can I get a FTA card to get itv 1-4 hd and all bbc etc. Note living in ireland, but persume i could order a Uk fta card somewhere. Just dodnt want to spend 400 euros and have a doorstopper.;)

UK FTA cards are made by Sly and have the same NDS chip on them. So chances are they will simply be switched off if the sly cards are.

That said, you would still pick up BBC one HD, BBC HD, BBC 3, BBC 4, ITV, ITV 2, ItV3, ITV4, Ch4 , Ch5.

If you get a FTA NOVA USB tuner you can also get all the Irish Dtt channels.

But it would be one expensive combo box when you can pick up these for around 100 euro, but at least the box will still have a use unlike most boxes which will become Freesat boxes if just pointing at the Sly sats.

Lets hope someone solves the problems!

dell_xps
12th June, 2011, 04:22 PM
No card is needed in the box to receive FTA channels m8.
Just like buying a sat free receiver from your local electrical shop :-)

billy2
7th July, 2011, 12:29 PM
been looking at this box for a bit now , so can i ask what are the pros and cons over the dm800hd ???

cheers

dell_xps
7th July, 2011, 02:36 PM
been looking at this box for a bit now , so can i ask what are the pros and cons over the dm800hd ???

cheers
The price:-), this box is all you need m8, cant say much more than that :-)

billy2
7th July, 2011, 02:38 PM
cheers m8 what iam trying to find you what it dose better than the dm800hd for the price ???

cheers

RuberDuck
7th July, 2011, 04:09 PM
cheers m8 what iam trying to find you what it dose better than the dm800hd for the price ???

cheers

well for starters it's a twin tuner box with a huge amount of support from teams such as Black hole and VIX.

dell_xps
7th July, 2011, 04:43 PM
Forget DreamBox, overpriced, Vu+ is the muts nuts, and there is plenty of support for these boxes.
You can stream to any PC in your house ,incl all HD channels,you can stream films from your PC through the VU+ to watch on your TV.
Full 7 Day EPG, twin tuner, record as many channels that are on the same transponder whilst watching another channel.
Easy set up, watch you tube, just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.
Buy one, best purchase you will make this year, FACT !

billy2
7th July, 2011, 06:28 PM
thanks m8 thats the answer i was looking for, like the idea of it been a media player also, the one thing i cannot get the dm800 to do

dell_xps
7th July, 2011, 09:11 PM
Streams perfectly to my Imac i7, using a wireless Netgear N router m8.
:-)
I have a video somewhere I'll upload to you tube to let you see it working.

redout
10th July, 2011, 02:03 AM

cheers

I have had a legit DM800 for over a year and just picked up a Vu+Duo during the week. The Duo for the price is a far better option in my opinion. As regards cons its about the size of 4 DM800s.

southpaw
10th July, 2011, 02:22 AM
Cons. Its about as pleasing on the eye as a muts nuts . Otherwise an awesome receiver

dell_xps
10th July, 2011, 04:40 PM
It's no that bad Southpaw....lol :-)