PDA

View Full Version : New User to OpenBox

dinsey
8th May, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hi there,

Used the search facility but couldnt get the whole information as one.

From what I seen you guys seem like a nice bunch anyways.

I am moving from a Kryptview to a Openview.

Placed a order with maxsat so unit should be with me next week.

I have a old sky sat dish and box installed, have changed the lnb today for one which was on a sky plus box, with 4 inputs at the bottom. Think you use 2 with sky plus to enable the dual tuner recording facility. Picture seems okay with new (sky +) lnb.

So when I get the box what do I need to do?

1. Update the firmware (latest one 6/5/2011)

2. Reboot system

3. Scan for channels

4 . Get a c/s service, of which i need to update the server details into the box

Is that is?

Thanks for help

dell_xps
8th May, 2011, 08:46 PM
Only has a single lnb input, so you can have your sky + box and the Openbox both working if you have got 4 feeds coming in.
Or if you just have two feeds coming in the Openbox has a loopback, so take one feed out of the slybox, get another bit of cable and use the loopback to your slybox.
I'm prety sure to record progs on your slybox if you just use the 2 feeds & loopback method you will have to put the Openbox into stanby as it will not record or give you a picture or sound.
Just make sure you get a quality server, over subscribed ones will just give you glitching/freezing all the time.
HTH

the man
8th May, 2011, 08:52 PM
and stop!

don't go updating for the sake of it , even if a seller says the box is not a clone it could still be a clone .
new f/w may kill clones , so when you get the box if its working OK dint upgrade just for the sake of it.
or at least do your home work as posted below
just my thoughts.

dell_xps
8th May, 2011, 08:56 PM
If the guys selling it as an original, and you update the firmware and it kills it, demand your money back.
I would update it asap, not very future proof if you can't update it, sold as an original, not a clone.

dell_xps
8th May, 2011, 08:58 PM
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f184/correct-way-check-if-your-openbox-clone-not-205381/

see this guys post, then update it !!

dinsey
8th May, 2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks Mate, looks like you have already saved me some money.

I ASSumed that the box would use 2 of the inputs so was about to order 25metres of dual core cabling, its expensive as its dual core.

So only need to order 25 metre single, might stop a sky van and drop him a fiver. Will i lose much signal over 25 metres?

Thanks for the advice on server, getting a good one, comes highly recommended on euro 'queens'.

Did some more researching, got the latest firmware as well as the channel list.

There are instructions on the channel list , but dont know how to update the firmware.

Can ask the server provider how to put his details in etc but need to have the unit ready for him before hand.

Cheers

dinsey
8th May, 2011, 09:07 PM
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f184/correct-way-check-if-your-openbox-clone-not-205381/

see this guys post, then update it !!

I emailed maxsat asking if they sell clones, they advise only originals, with a comment stating all firmware will work. So they are well aware of this.

Thanks for heads up, always nice to know someones looking out for you.

dell_xps
8th May, 2011, 09:09 PM
No loss over 25 metres m8, have a look on Ebay for shotgun cable, has two feeds same size as the thicker cable, same price as the single cable also Im sure.
I'll pm you the info how to get it up and running ok.
:-)

dinsey
8th May, 2011, 10:00 PM
No loss over 25 metres m8, have a look on Ebay for shotgun cable, has two feeds same size as the thicker cable, same price as the single cable also Im sure.
I'll pm you the info how to get it up and running ok.

Cheers man, On a sunday night at 10pm, you guys taking the time to help others. Appreciate it.

Think its guys like u on the forums that give these boxs greater sales. we buy em coz we know we can get great help if we need to

Cheers

dell_xps
8th May, 2011, 10:33 PM
I have a Vu duo now, bought this box to try out,
can honestly say for ?80 its well worth the money.
As I said b4, make sure you get a hop 1 server, or it will
glitch and freeze every couple of minutes.

dinsey
10th May, 2011, 09:29 PM
Hi there, got the box today.

Didnt update the firmware on the box left it as default.

Scanned and put the server information in and it worked a treat. Scary at how easy it was to get this going.

Few things, the channel numbers are not as they are with sky, is this to be expected?

Reading up on here about channels lists, I downloaded a file and followed the instructions. Hoping this would add the channels in some order.

Not all the channels are listed, ie some FTA ones are not part of the selection.

I am not gettting any reboots and the picture seems okay. Server seems okay with no glitching.

Do I update the firmware or leave as it is if it seems to be working okay?

Any help appreciated

SG8
10th May, 2011, 10:07 PM
Do I update the firmware or leave as it is if it seems to be working okay?

Any help appreciated

Leave it if it is working ok, or at least make sure you do not have a clone before updating!!!

dinsey
11th May, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hi guys, any update on the channel listings please?

I would ideally like to have all the channels there without having to go in and select a channel list specific to the satelite, IE using the zoom button.

Thanks

trauma
11th May, 2011, 12:37 PM
Hi guys, any update on the channel listings please?

I would ideally like to have all the channels there without having to go in and select a channel list specific to the satelite, IE using the zoom button.

Thanks

To view all the channel without having them displayed on a per satellite basis, simply click the Zoom button then click on Option 1 [All Satellites]

And if that still do not fullfill your requirements, you can always construct a channel list yourself to suite your personal preferancies, then you will have it perfect too your needs..

dinsey
11th May, 2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys, so whats the purpose of having a channel list?

What dont people update firmware, reset box then do full scan and keep the list, includes all fta and payable channels?

Do i need to input channel list?

I cant find astha channel nor sunrise tv

dinsey
14th May, 2011, 09:21 PM
and stop!

don't go updating for the sake of it , even if a seller says the box is not a clone it could still be a clone .
new f/w may kill clones , so when you get the box if its working OK dint upgrade just for the sake of it.
or at least do your home work as posted below
just my thoughts.

Thanks for the message, I didnt update the firmware, its as the box came.

dell_xps
14th May, 2011, 09:31 PM
Jus put all the channels you watch in a Favourites folder m8, 2/3 of the channels are dog $hite anyway...lol
Well they are to me anyway :-)

southpaw
14th May, 2011, 09:45 PM
Jus put all the channels you watch in a Favourites folder m8, 2/3 of the channels are dog $hite anyway...lol
Well they are to me anyway :-)
and the other 3rd are repeats lol

dell_xps
14th May, 2011, 10:16 PM
Deadliest Catch rools :-)