PDA

View Full Version : Wii Softmod Tutorial for noobs like me

Pages : [1] 2

drawflex
15th December, 2008, 08:53 PM
I've been asked to update this thread, it's still working for pre v4 firmwares but there may be other (easier) ways to do it now
Updated to include cIOS38 rev15 (which will solve the problem with 002 errors), and Uloader which now has the ability to run games from a USB hard disk
Rep to dell_xps for the nudge to update.

If you're on version 4 or above or don't have a copy of zelda use this tut posted by dell_xps : HERE (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f16/wii-4-2e-softmod-tutorial-easy-follow-guide-67927/)

You need a PAL Wii running any software version up to 3.4 ( Doesn't work with 4.0)... You're also gonna need a formated SD card no bigger than 2GB (not SDHC) and reader, an original PAL Zelda:Twilight Princess game disk , these files :CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FILES, (http://www.multiupload.com/0M6J6T70XH) , your Wii connected to the internet and about an hour.

Before you start you need to play Zelda:TP on the Wii once, also find out what firmware version you're running (Top right hand corner on the Wii settings menu)

STEP 1 : Make a shady SD card
UnZip the contents of the file linked above to your empty SD card.
**IMPORTANT** If you've got 3.4 firmware navigate to SDCARD/private/wii/title/rzdp/, delete data.bin and rename Twilight3.4.bin to data.bin, or the twilight hack file will not copy over to the Wii...... otherwise let's crack on......
STEP 2 : Twilight hack
Delete any Zelda saves from the Wii system
Put the newly created SD card in the Wii's SD slot
Go into Wii Options/Data Management/Save Data/SD card/ and copy over the twilight hack file to the wii...(if the version is wrong it will say file not copied)
If the wii doesn't recognise your SDcard, re-format it using the SDcard format tool from here (http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter.html) and start again
Run Zelda:TP straight away and when the save file is loaded walk your man backwards, the game should crash and the ELF loader will pop up and start installing the homebrew channel ;)
When asked to update homebrew channel ... accept
STEP 3 : Downgrade/Upgrade to 3.2, If you're already on 3.2 skip to STEP 4
STEP 3-1 : Only for peeps with 3.3/3.4 firmwares... anything else skip to STEP 3-2
Load Wad Manager in Homebrew Channel and install IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad
Load Custom WM in Homebrew Channel and install cios_fix.wad
Load IOS Downgrader in Homebrew Channel
STEP 3-2 Load cIOS Downgrader in Homebrew channel, scroll down to 3.2e (e = europe for PAL) and install.
You should now be running 3.2 firmware :)
STEP 4 : Install goodies
Go to homebrew channel and install starfall, read the gumpf and press B&1 when ready ( if you read the disclaimer it says use 1 instead of 2... B&1 ) and install everything on the list by pressing + on each item ( you might have to press B&1 a few times to get it to work )
Run cIOS Installer in Homebrew Channel
Load "Install Shop IOS51". Say Yes to installing IOS51,Yes to patching a fix but leave the Wii Shop Channel.
Load Wad Manager in Homebrew Channel and install forwarder-UMRD.wad and IOS38-64-v3609.wad.
Lastly open homebrew channel, and install cIOS38 (It's listed as cIOS36) USE NETWORK INSTALL
Now you should have the Uloader channel on the Wii menu.. use this to launch Wii backups :D (Press 2 to run games from DVD)

You need to leave an SD card in the slot now because Uloader boots from an SDcard (easy updating in the future). The one you have already made is fine or format another card, make a folder called 'apps' in the root of it, and copy the uloader directory from this pack in apps to the apps folder on the new card.

You can softmod without downgrading to 3.2 but starfall only runs on 3.2 and blocks games trying to update or mess with the firmware.

dell_xps
15th December, 2008, 09:27 PM
Excellent tutorial m8, did one myself today no probs, this works, save your cash peeps no need for a mod chip, every game I've put in works no problemo.

Yumraaj
16th December, 2008, 10:21 AM
Hi Drawflex, Just wana know what if Nintendo brings out a game that has an update on it and require to update your Wii before you can play!!! Is there a one time fix that you can apply on your system and every games that come in the future will not Nag you about updating?

Thanks

Pittsey
16th December, 2008, 10:23 AM
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f16/installing-backup-loader-hack-16234/

dell_xps
16th December, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hi Drawflex, Just wana know what if Nintendo brings out a game that has an update on it and require to update your Wii before you can play!!! Is there a one time fix that you can apply on your system and every games that come in the future will not Nag you about updating?

Thanks

In that event m8 just use a prog called wiiscrubber.

drawflex
16th December, 2008, 12:17 PM

Thanks

Installing starfall takes care of this, it'll skip the disk update check and stop any game trying to update your firmware or mess with your Wii, this cuts out the risk of bricking your Wii (no need to use brick blocker all the time)... it also does a couple of other neat tricks like letting you safely play any region games and patches the health warning screen at the start...... This is why it's worth downgrading, because using the backup loader hack on its own could leave you with a bricked wii when trying to play an out-of-region game, or any game that contains a firmware update

drawflex
16th December, 2008, 12:36 PM
In that event m8 just use a prog called wiiscrubber.

You mean Wiibrick-blocker i think ? Wii-Scrubber just replaces the random garbage data on a Wii Game for blank data which is why winzip is able to compress some game ISOs to <700Mb, without being scrubbed they'd never compress so well..

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?title=WiiScrubber

Any way... no-need to use brick-blocker when starfall is installed :)

TheToe
20th December, 2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the tut... works a charm.

Much appreciated

Yumraaj
20th December, 2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks so much guys, I have managed to downgrade my firmware to 3.2E and successfully install the Skip update patch by using Starfall. Thanks again

mjrrenegade
20th December, 2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for this great tutorial, works a treat :)

bugaloo41
20th December, 2008, 10:24 PM
Cheers for this mate. My kids dont play the wii much but think i will give this a whirl over the holidays. Need to get a hold of this Zelda game.

dell_xps
21st December, 2008, 09:50 AM
Cheers for this mate. My kids dont play the wii much but think i will give this a whirl over the holidays. Need to get a hold of this Zelda game.

Cheapest I could get it from was Tesco's m8, ?29, everybody else wanted ?40.
Or just hire it from your local DVD store for a few pounds and hand it back.
HTH

bugaloo41
21st December, 2008, 01:20 PM
Guys just checked my firmware - its 3.2E is that ok or do you have to revert to an earlier version (i.e 3.2A)?

Thanks in advance.

dell_xps
21st December, 2008, 01:37 PM
Guys just checked my firmware - its 3.2E is that ok or do you have to revert to an earlier version (i.e 3.2A)?

Thanks in advance.

3.2E, is the muts nuts for this m8.:lollypop:

drawflex
21st December, 2008, 01:39 PM

Thanks in advance.

The E in 3.2e just means you got a european version (ie PAL)... you're good to go mate... follow the tutorial but skip STEP 3

bugaloo41
21st December, 2008, 01:44 PM
Cheers lads.

dell_xps
21st December, 2008, 04:15 PM
Cheers lads.
Any probs let us know.

Antok7
30th December, 2008, 08:37 PM
Hi, Thanks for the tutorial but do you know if i can install roms from My Emulaters for the PC.
Directly to the wii ??

1982shyann
30th December, 2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks Very Help full :0)

drawflex
1st January, 2009, 03:47 AM
Hi, Thanks for the tutorial but do you know if i can install roms from My Emulaters for the PC.
Directly to the wii ??

Aint really got a clue mate, start a new thread.. you're more likley to get answers from other peeps who might know what you're after.

funkytv
2nd January, 2009, 06:44 PM
very good tutorial, thank you.

I just have one question...

Im running version 3.1E, can i go ahead and follow your instructions, or do i need to upgrade to 3.2E somehow?

I have just been out to buy zelda, and want to start doing it tonight.

Many thanks

dell_xps
2nd January, 2009, 07:35 PM

Im running version 3.1E, can i go ahead and follow your instructions, or do i need to upgrade to 3.2E somehow?

Many thanks
You can carry on and do it m8, starfal only runs on 3.2E as do a lot of apps you run in the homebrew channel, but if you're just playing games I wouldn't worry about it.
HTH

funkytv
2nd January, 2009, 08:39 PM

Many thanks

Never mind....

I connected to internet, upgraded to 3.4E then just followed the guide and down graded to 3.2E,

Just need to test it now!

Cheers

:dancing:

dell_xps
2nd January, 2009, 10:26 PM
Never mind....

I connected to internet, upgraded to 3.4E then just followed the guide and down graded to 3.2E,

Just need to test it now!

Cheers

:dancing:

Let us know how you get on m8.

thegadgetman
4th January, 2009, 02:25 AM
Excellent tutorial - Thank you so much.
I was on 3.3 and was having a nightmare installing a backup loader until i found this great forum and excellent tutorial.

One question: I selected everything to install in Starfall by pressing the 1 button as the + did nothing, then installed it all, - the install went very quickly, is this normal?

Thanks again.

drawflex
4th January, 2009, 06:34 PM
best way to check mate... run starfall again and on each of the items in the list it should say <insatlled> rather than <not-installed>... if not give it another go.

Staminastan
4th January, 2009, 10:29 PM
Hiya, this seems to be a simple tutorial even I couldn't bugger up and I was all braced to follow it until I discovered my firmware is currently v3.1, grrr. I'm new to Wiis so soz if this is a daft question, your instructions say how to downgrade to 3.2 but how do I upgrade to it? I've searched but cannot find anything. Any and all info gratefully received!

Staminastan
4th January, 2009, 10:54 PM
Ahem... I connected my Wii to the net for for the first time and it is forcing an update - I presume this is a good thing :)

drawflex
4th January, 2009, 11:01 PM
yes mate... you can upgrade to 3.4, then follow the tutorial to downgrade to 3.2....

Any probs... drop in a reply

Staminastan
4th January, 2009, 11:12 PM
Cheers Draw, am itching to get cracking but the update is only 25% done or so, by the progress bar. Doh what a tit I am I've just noticed the same Q I asked was posed and answered at the top of this bloody page!

S

dell_xps
4th January, 2009, 11:25 PM
Cheers Draw, am itching to get cracking but the update is only 25% done or so, by the progress bar. Doh what a tit I am I've just noticed the same Q I asked was posed and answered at the top of this bloody page!

S

Correcto you can just go from 3.1 to 3.2 m8, instead of going to 3.4 then back to 3.2,or you could of left it at 3.1. just majority of appz would not run on 3.1, ie starfall, dvd m player etc etc, running backups will still run though.
HTH

drawflex
4th January, 2009, 11:31 PM
yeh... del's right.... i'll re-write the tutorial later for people with pre 3.2 firmwares... upgrading to 3.4 then down to 3.2 is fine though... but you can go straight to 3.2 with a slight change to the tutorial... anyhow 3.2 is the magic number

EDIT : Original tutorial changed slightly for older firmwares.

Staminastan
5th January, 2009, 12:02 AM
Aah well it's 85% done now... I may kibosh Wii hacking for the night and go for it tomorrow, I'll need summink to look forward to having gone back to work :(

Staminastan
5th January, 2009, 02:18 AM
...It worked! Huge thanks for the tutorial, Drawflex. Only comment I'll make is for me, step 3.2 (installing 3.2E) took about 40mins from clicking go until I got the all done message.

Gotta sleep now, 0800 start at work (first hour will be researching decent games I can now DL!) Big thanks again.

Stan

Update: I've found a fair few games... ;) Quick Q while I have your attention - If all I want to do is play DLed games obtained via Newsgroups, is there any benefit installing a modchip vs softmodding?

dell_xps
5th January, 2009, 05:53 PM
...It worked! Huge thanks for the tutorial, Drawflex. Only comment I'll make is for me, step 3.2 (installing 3.2E) took about 40mins from clicking go until I got the all done message.

Gotta sleep now, 0800 start at work (first hour will be researching decent games I can now DL!) Big thanks again.

Stan

Update: I've found a fair few games... ;) Quick Q while I have your attention - If all I want to do is play DLed games obtained via Newsgroups, is there any benefit installing a modchip vs softmodding?

None m8, you can do the exact same with a modchip as you can with soft modding it.
HTH

malvec
8th January, 2009, 12:36 PM
Cheers worked a treat :)

drawflex
8th January, 2009, 07:27 PM
no probs .

bugaloo41
8th January, 2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys . Just waiting on game d/l to make sure its worked.

dell_xps
8th January, 2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys . Just waiting on game d/l to make sure its worked.

Remember to use good media discs, ie verbatim, or tayio yuden, avoid memorex discs they suck big time with the soft mod hack, ok with chipped Wii's though.

bugaloo41
8th January, 2009, 09:24 PM
Dell use ritek dvds which have always been good for other uses. Can i play region free games now i assume - i installed the region free option on starfall?

dell_xps
9th January, 2009, 12:05 AM
Dell use ritek dvds which have always been good for other uses. Can i play region free games now i assume - i installed the region free option on starfall?

If you installed wiigator or whatever loader, press B as it's loading takes you into the options, select force NTSC I think it is m8, your good to go.

thedog12
9th January, 2009, 01:52 AM
good Tutorial

works fine

thanks

zdowner
9th January, 2009, 02:00 AM
Awesome this is very cool

bugaloo41
9th January, 2009, 06:13 PM
If you installed wiigator or whatever loader, press B as it's loading takes you into the options, select force NTSC I think it is m8, your good to go.

Cheers Dell. Have gamma backup loader works fine. Thanks for your help mate.

dell_xps
9th January, 2009, 06:47 PM
Cheers Dell. Have gamma backup loader works fine. Thanks for your help mate.

No problemo m8 !!

shin
9th January, 2009, 09:44 PM
Excellent tutorial mate! worked fine for me too, many thanks!
Just a quick question - when i go to the homebrew channel in the wii main menu it keeps saying that there is an update to the homebrew channel (version 1.0.1 replacing the installed version beta 9) should i update it or not? has anyone else experienced this or have any answers?

dell_xps
9th January, 2009, 10:10 PM
Excellent tutorial mate! worked fine for me too, many thanks!
Just a quick question - when i go to the homebrew channel in the wii main menu it keeps saying that there is an update to the homebrew channel (version 1.0.1 replacing the installed version beta 9) should i update it or not? has anyone else experienced this or have any answers?

Yes m8 update is safe to do in the homebrew channel.

shin
9th January, 2009, 10:13 PM
Yes m8 update is safe to do in the homebrew channel.

thanks for that info dell, much appreciated!

dell_xps
9th January, 2009, 10:29 PM
thanks for that info dell, much appreciated!

No probs m8 !

yipykayay
12th January, 2009, 06:09 PM
Nice tutorial. Just 1 question. What is in the folder 00000001?
It's just that I haven't come across this anywhere else

yamar1
12th January, 2009, 06:56 PM
one question before i install,, how do i find out which firmware im running, wii is 6 months old?

bugaloo41
12th January, 2009, 07:32 PM
just boot up your wii; click on wii sign bottom right of screen; click on wii settings and the s/ware version should be displayed in the top right hand corner.

yamar1
16th January, 2009, 07:43 PM
HELP, i went to downgrade and the only ones that were there were 2.0,2.1, 2.2 etc, so i downgraded to 2.0e thinking that was it and its not? 3.2e was not in the list??:hmmmm:

dell_xps
16th January, 2009, 08:28 PM
HELP, i went to downgrade and the only ones that were there were 2.0,2.1, 2.2 etc, so i downgraded to 2.0e thinking that was it and its not? 3.2e was not in the list??:hmmmm:

You have to scroll down the list m8, go back and get 3.2E.

yamar1
16th January, 2009, 09:06 PM
cheers dell, realised what i had done,, after id done it, working fine now, great stuff!:party :

dell_xps
16th January, 2009, 09:26 PM
cheers dell, realised what i had done,, after id done it, working fine now, great stuff!:party :

No probs m8 here to help !!
Install the latest loader though m8, see my other post.
Maybe Drawflex will update his tutorial ???

Staminastan
17th January, 2009, 06:47 PM
Hiya,

Update: having lots of fun on my Wii :) However, a significant number of the games I've DLed from newsgroups won't run after I've burn them -

House Of The Dead 2 & 3 (appears to crash the Wii)
Warioware Smooth Moves ("this game cannot be run, consult your manual")
Bomberman Land ("consult manual")
Facebreaker KO Party ("consult manual")
Need For Speed Underground (error code #0002, I think it was)

Are some / all of the above incompatible with softmodding or can I do summink to make them work? Sorry to be slow, I'm trying my hardest to learn!

dell_xps
17th January, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hiya,

Update: having lots of fun on my Wii :) However, a significant number of the games I've DLed from newsgroups won't run after I've burn them -

House Of The Dead 2 & 3 (appears to crash the Wii)
Warioware Smooth Moves ("this game cannot be run, consult your manual")
Bomberman Land ("consult manual")
Facebreaker KO Party ("consult manual")
Need For Speed Underground (error code #0002, I think it was)

Are some / all of the above incompatible with softmodding or can I do summink to make them work? Sorry to be slow, I'm trying my hardest to learn!

M8 read my post the one below this post it will explain how to get these games working ok.

middlewingnut
18th January, 2009, 10:02 PM
This is great, but I keep getting errors at step 3-2 - I think its my network (the settings are tested and correct) - any ideas?

dell_xps
18th January, 2009, 10:09 PM
This is great, but I keep getting errors at step 3-2 - I think its my network (the settings are tested and correct) - any ideas?

delete all settings in the wireless menu m8, then redo them, make sure it connects to the internet, then retry step 3.2, you must be connected to the net to perform this step ok.

middlewingnut
18th January, 2009, 10:49 PM
Perfect - thanks. I also changed my wireless network channel number back to a standard one, not sure if that makes a differnce, but the box is just downloading the parts of 3.2E now, so it all looks good.

Thanks for the quick reply, too!

dell_xps
19th January, 2009, 12:19 AM
Perfect - thanks. I also changed my wireless network channel number back to a standard one, not sure if that makes a differnce, but the box is just downloading the parts of 3.2E now, so it all looks good.

Thanks for the quick reply, too!

No problemo m8 !!

middlewingnut
19th January, 2009, 08:35 AM
Cracked it! Thanks again for a great tutorial.

I've also sorted out my connection probs, so its a win, win...

Must try and back up the kids' games now (and I might just find somethings lying aroun the interweb)

Dwightjelee
19th January, 2009, 10:31 PM
Hi i'm totally new to these forums as i am new to softmodding....
I was wondering.. What if you want to put your Wii back in the original state for some reason (mine now runs 3.4e) is there a way? Or is this hack for ever and never reversable?

Thanks in advance for the reply!

dell_xps
20th January, 2009, 01:13 AM
Hi i'm totally new to these forums as i am new to softmodding....
I was wondering.. What if you want to put your Wii back in the original state for some reason (mine now runs 3.4e) is there a way? Or is this hack for ever and never reversable?

Thanks in advance for the reply!

Delete the backup channel let it update via the net m8.
Just dont install starfall.

Dwightjelee
20th January, 2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks m8!
But what if you've already installed Starfall...? Is it then impossible to run the original IOS again?

Thanks

dell_xps
20th January, 2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks m8!
But what if you've already installed Starfall...? Is it then impossible to run the original IOS again?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure as soon as you install another firmware the starfall hack is deleted m8.
Not tried it myself but I'm sure you'll be able to update you Wii if you want to.
HTH

Dwightjelee
20th January, 2009, 12:50 PM
OK, well I don't think I'm ever gonna need to try it, but you'll never know ;)

BTW. Thanks for this great tutorial! It took me ages to figure this out with another tutorial, until I stumbled upon yours :D

Keep up the great work! Cheers m8

dell_xps
20th January, 2009, 02:33 PM
OK, well I don't think I'm ever gonna need to try it, but you'll never know ;)

BTW. Thanks for this great tutorial! It took me ages to figure this out with another tutorial, until I stumbled upon yours :D

Keep up the great work! Cheers m8

Credit to Drawflex m8 !!!

drawflex
21st January, 2009, 07:16 PM
Cheers.... Tutorial now updated to include the new backup loader....

Have a bit of credit yourself :top:

JMCK
21st January, 2009, 09:16 PM
Just got

Reading boot.dol:
start cluster = 0000
boot.dol not found (-1), reading boot.elf:
start cluster = 0000
Failed to read boot.elf (-1)!
No code found to load, hanging.

This was the last 25% of message when I walked Zelda backwards. What have I done?????

dell_xps
21st January, 2009, 09:22 PM
Just got

Reading boot.dol:
start cluster = 0000
boot.dol not found (-1), reading boot.elf:
start cluster = 0000
Failed to read boot.elf (-1)!
No code found to load, hanging.

This was the last 25% of message when I walked Zelda backwards. What have I done?????

You dont have your SD card set up properly for it to read m8, folder should be like this

wiiload,at the root,inside this,Lin32,osx,win32,wiiload.tar.gz

Also what version of firmware are you running in your Wii ?, there are 2 different versions depending on the firmware.

JMCK
21st January, 2009, 10:09 PM
3.4e at moment. Hopefully soon to be 3.2. Will try and ammend structure. Cheers m8. Will let you know

JMCK
21st January, 2009, 10:25 PM
Ok no where near am afraid. I extracted a file which shows the hack file on my wii (one for USA, one Jpn and one EUR)

it was Wii Softmod

on my sd card is

folders:
apps
private
WAD
boot.dol

Have i got the wrong file. Most of the instructions followed goes to plan till it fails on ELF loader.

Everyone else seems to have breezed through.

Arghhhhhhh

dell_xps
21st January, 2009, 10:31 PM
You need the homebrew channel for 3.4E m8, you will be using the one for 3.3E and below.

http://hbc.hackmii.com/dist/twilight-hack-v0.1-beta2.zip

This is the correct version for ya m8.

JMCK
21st January, 2009, 10:36 PM
Ok no where near am afraid. I extracted a file which shows the hack file on my wii (one for USA, one Jpn and one EUR)

it was Wii Softmod

on my sd card is

folders:
apps
private
WAD
boot.dol

Have i got the wrong file. Most of the instructions followed goes to plan till it fails on ELF loader.

Everyone else seems to have breezed through.

Arghhhhhhh

JMCK
21st January, 2009, 10:41 PM
Cheers will try it m8. Sorry re double post. do not know what happend

dell_xps
21st January, 2009, 10:41 PM
Did you select the EURO hack ?

garya
21st January, 2009, 10:47 PM
hi to all you digibox mechs. new to this site hope to have plenty of info out you lot

drawflex
22nd January, 2009, 09:16 AM
The dowload pack I linked in the tutorial post includes 2 twilight hack / homebrew channel files one for 3.4 and one for 3.3 and earlier

I'm guessing you're skipping this part mate ?

**If you've got 3.4 firmware navigate to SDCARD/private/wii/title/rzdp/, delete data.bin and rename twilight 3.4.bin to data.bin.. otherwise let's crack on..**
If you're on 3.4 and you skip the above step the twilight hack will fail.

EDIT : After work I will upload a new softmod pack , containing only the euro version of the twilight hack to save confusion..... DONE

JMCK
22nd January, 2009, 08:37 PM
I had to stop last night. Sorry to be rude. Anyway I did delect Euro hack. All seems to work correct as per Drawflex initial tutorial. The boot.dol is in the root of the SD but when I crash Zelda it just will not proceed to install homebrew. I did rename the twilght3.4 to data.bin as instructed, and I have also downloaded your instructions mate and zipped files but have not implemented the them in terms of transferring them to SD and running them as am not sure which order to run files (I have seen your recommended structure in these new files though). I am feeling extemely numb now and am sure an eye or two will roll (mine def would). Why will drawflex's easy guide not work for me. Is the boot.dol in the wrong place? please see earlier where i listed the contents of SD card.

dell_xps
22nd January, 2009, 11:23 PM
I had to stop last night. Sorry to be rude. Anyway I did delect Euro hack. All seems to work correct as per Drawflex initial tutorial. The boot.dol is in the root of the SD but when I crash Zelda it just will not proceed to install homebrew. I did rename the twilght3.4 to data.bin as instructed, and I have also downloaded your instructions mate and zipped files but have not implemented the them in terms of transferring them to SD and running them as am not sure which order to run files (I have seen your recommended structure in these new files though). I am feeling extemely numb now and am sure an eye or two will roll (mine def would). Why will drawflex's easy guide not work for me. Is the boot.dol in the wrong place? please see earlier where i listed the contents of SD card.

Whereabouts are you m8 ? maybe someone on the forum can do it for you if you cannot manage to get it done.

drawflex
23rd January, 2009, 12:01 AM

Format your sdcard and start again mate.. structure should be spot on, extract the zip to the root of your SDCARD don't worry about trying to re-stucture it, if you're on 3.4 make sure you follow the pointers.

JMCK
23rd January, 2009, 04:47 PM
Cheers for your continued assistance drawflex and dellxps. Will format card and start from beginning as per tutorial. I will not be giving up yet

JMCK
23rd January, 2009, 10:39 PM
Cheers Drawflex. Must have been my unformatted SD card, as previously I just deleated files off it to utilise. When I formatted and re downloaded your files today all went exactly as per tutorial. Now any tips for best usage of the tool. How do I get hold of games to load on backup launcher. Thought a menu option would have been created? Can I watch DVD s on it now.

bugaloo41
24th January, 2009, 01:07 AM
JM if you installed dvdx installer you can watch dvds.

plenty games for dloads via newsgroups or torrents.

joe2419
24th January, 2009, 06:25 AM
Hi is it ok to soft mod even if the wii is chipped t.i.a

JMCK
24th January, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hello drawflex did your zipped file of 'goodies' include dvdx installer m8. Going to search newsgroups to download some games and will let you know when it is all achieved. Nintendo DS is best with those R4 cards. But suppose no pain no gain and all that????

dell_xps
24th January, 2009, 02:37 PM
Yes m8 you can softmod it to.
:)

drawflex
24th January, 2009, 04:27 PM
Hello drawflex did your zipped file of 'goodies' include dvdx installer m8. Going to search newsgroups to download some games and will let you know when it is all achieved. Nintendo DS is best with those R4 cards. But suppose no pain no gain and all that????

No mate... pack only includes the files required for softmod.

bugaloo41
24th January, 2009, 06:09 PM

If you installed the homebrew browser you can download it from there. Its in the popular and media sections.

boocay06
26th January, 2009, 01:11 AM
thanks man this tut has helped loads. i now got iso dumper and wii backup player running!! now i dont even need an lg drive to do backups i just use my wii + wifi.

thanks again

partyzone
27th January, 2009, 09:45 PM
hi cant get download link to open?
have used it for other downloads ok but for this get message temp unavailable

where else will i find them

thx daz

drawflex
27th January, 2009, 10:01 PM
EDIT : Will upload the new pack again soon, it's attatched to my first post for now

partyzone
27th January, 2009, 10:21 PM
cheers m8
hope i get this right

Kaje
29th January, 2009, 02:40 PM
Hi guys,

Total n00b here but I'm hoping I won't get flamed for asking something that has probably been done already!

But, I've flashed it and everything seems fine so far, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to play the backups online, or if there's an issue like the issue with the 360 where you can get banned etc.

Also, what happens if I want to download something from the shopping channel and it requires me to update the firmware? Will I still be able to use this hack?

Also, can anyone throw me a link to the thread with advice on getting backups to work?

Thanks in advance!!

Kaje

Dwightjelee
29th January, 2009, 04:33 PM
You can still play your games online. I never had any probs with that....
I think the backuplauncher and homebrewchannel will still work if you upgrade, but Starfall won't!

About getting backups to work:
Be sure you download the right games (eg PAL or NTSC), use something like Usenet or torrents for this (please note that this is illegal if you don't have the original).
When the download is complete you should have an .ISO file.
Burn this file with IMGBURN on a Vermatim DVD-R on 2x or 4x speed.

When done downloading put the disc in the Wii open backupchannel,click on start and have fun! :D

Cheers, Dwight

Kaje
29th January, 2009, 04:40 PM
Perfect mate, thanks for the advice.

Flashed it today, just finished burning my first backup and it works a treat (even on DVD+R media, no DVD-R's til later today but wanted to check it out!).

pilgrimdrivesataxi
29th January, 2009, 05:30 PM
hi i dont know if anyone can help i have done the soft mod and every thing seems ok i have the homebrew channel but not the homebrew browser as you might have guest i am very new to this

dell_xps
29th January, 2009, 05:52 PM
hi i dont know if anyone can help i have done the soft mod and every thing seems ok i have the homebrew channel but not the homebrew browser as you might have guest i am very new to this

You have to install the homebrew browser m8.

wmccull
31st January, 2009, 07:45 AM
the browser wad jsut goes into your WAD folder on mem stick and install it through your homebrew channel. after that you can keep your mem card out as you wont need it anymore.

pilgrimdrivesataxi
31st January, 2009, 03:00 PM
all done thaks a lot:)

onester
2nd February, 2009, 07:04 PM
will i still be able to play mario kart online after doing the install?

dell_xps
2nd February, 2009, 07:46 PM
will i still be able to play mario kart online after doing the install?

Yes this has been answered b4 m8!

:party :

onester
2nd February, 2009, 07:49 PM
excellent thanks for the reply and thanks for the great tutorial worked a charm

jdpainting
7th February, 2009, 03:04 AM
all went fine up to step 3.1 for 3.3e. installed IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad.installed cios_fix.wad.then Load IOS Downgrader in Homebrew Channel. has been stuck at #22... for 40 minutes now do i turn off and tri again or wait

jdpainting
7th February, 2009, 06:16 AM
had problem with wireless router all sorted now thanks any way

jofus48
13th February, 2009, 07:53 PM
I have already had to replace a broken Wii game disk that one of the kids stood on - so I needed a backup solution.
I installed the twilight hack, Wiihttp-dumper and Wiigator-backup-loader.
I can backup the games that they got for Christmas and then play the backups so thought I had the problem solved

I didnt downgrade the Wii from 3.4E to 3.2 cos I coudnt determine if this was really necessary
I did turn off WiiConnect24 to prevent system backups.

Now the whinging has started - without WiiConnect24 the kids cant send messages to their friends regarding when to meetup on the Wii for MarioKart races.

So I turned WiiConnect24 back on.

I cant figure out if this is a risky place to be. Could Nintendo force a system update without me explicitly accepting it - and brick the Wii

If I downgrade to 3.2 does Wiiconnect exist at this level - and can I turn it on?

Can anyone explain what could / might happen that I need to be aware of

<rant>
It p1$$e$ me off that I have to go to all this trouble to implement a basic function which is just common sense where children and consumer electronics are concerned.
</rant>

Any input would be welcome
Thanks

Yumraaj
13th February, 2009, 09:47 PM
I have already had to replace a broken Wii game disk that one of the kids stood on - so I needed a backup solution.
I installed the twilight hack, Wiihttp-dumper and Wiigator-backup-loader.
I can backup the games that they got for Christmas and then play the backups so thought I had the problem solved

I didnt downgrade the Wii from 3.4E to 3.2 cos I coudnt determine if this was really necessary
I did turn off WiiConnect24 to prevent system backups.

Now the whinging has started - without WiiConnect24 the kids cant send messages to their friends regarding when to meetup on the Wii for MarioKart races.

So I turned WiiConnect24 back on.

I cant figure out if this is a risky place to be. Could Nintendo force a system update without me explicitly accepting it - and brick the Wii

If I downgrade to 3.2 does Wiiconnect exist at this level - and can I turn it on?

Can anyone explain what could / might happen that I need to be aware of

<rant>
It p1$$e$ me off that I have to go to all this trouble to implement a basic function which is just common sense where children and consumer electronics are concerned.
</rant>

Any input would be welcome
Thanks

As far I know WiiConnect24 does exist in 3.2 firmware. Nintendo can force you to update your wii by putting update on their games. If you install Starfall it will disable the 'skip update check' when you insert Disc and boot the games up.

Hope this help.

drawflex
14th February, 2009, 12:53 AM
[QUOTE=yumraaj;145275] ......WiiConnect24 does exist in 3.2 firmware. Nintendo can force you to update your wii by putting update on their games. If you install Starfall it will disable the 'skip update check' when you insert Disc and boot the games up..... [QUOTE]

this is why the downgrade to 3.2 is worth doing... starfall only runs on 3.2

steve2k
14th February, 2009, 01:45 PM
Hi, I'm managed to mod my wii and all working prefectly so thanks for that but am having problems with some games. I seen a list of games somewhere listing what works and what dont work but cant seem to find it again. Any ideas? The games I'm having problems with so far are Sam & Max, Red Steel & Wario Land The Shake Dimension.

dell_xps
14th February, 2009, 11:11 PM
Hi, I'm managed to mod my wii and all working prefectly so thanks for that but am having problems with some games. I seen a list of games somewhere listing what works and what dont work but cant seem to find it again. Any ideas? The games I'm having problems with so far are Sam & Max, Red Steel & Wario Land The Shake Dimension.

Wii Backup Compatibility List PAL - Wii (http://maschell.de/mediawiki-1.6.10/index.php/Wii_Backup_Compatibility_List_PAL)

Dwightjelee
16th February, 2009, 09:27 AM
@steve2k: I've softmodded my Wii too and been playing backups ever since... Never had any problems with any game that I downloaded. Some did startup in b/w but when I force it to startup in PAL50 everything works like a charm :D

pilgrimkenna
20th February, 2009, 08:28 PM
hi, want to give this a go, but can someone answer some noob questions.

i am on 3.4 so would wish to downgrade to 3.2 so starfal will run. how do i do this??

is zelda the only game with the flaw in the code making this possible??

thanks

dell_xps
20th February, 2009, 09:18 PM
Games will run on 3.4 if you dont want to downgrade to 3.2.

You use the cIOS Downgrader in Homebrew channel, pick 3.2e (europe for PAL).

Yes

pilgrimkenna
20th February, 2009, 09:20 PM
Games will run on 3.4 if you dont want to downgrade to 3.2.

You use the cIOS Downgrader in Homebrew channel, pick 3.2e (europe for PAL).

Yes

lovely, thanks for that sounds easy. just need to get a copy of zelda tomorrow and ill give it a blast.

i gather the main plus from 3.2 is that it wont be looking to upgrade the firmware all the time when running games?

pilgrimkenna
20th February, 2009, 09:29 PM
one last question, will it work with any pal copy of zelda

i have read that new copies have fixed the bug?

dell_xps
20th February, 2009, 11:25 PM
one last question, will it work with any pal copy of zelda

i have read that new copies have fixed the bug?

Never heard that m8 do you have a link ?

Any PAL version will do, try blockbuster etc if you want to just hire it.
Tesco's were the cheapest when I bought it.

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 09:54 AM
Never heard that m8 do you have a link ?

Any PAL version will do, try blockbuster etc if you want to just hire it.
Tesco's were the cheapest when I bought it.

Wanted a loan of zelda on the wii - HotUKDeals Forum (http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/283125/wanted-a-loan-of-zelda-on-the-wii/)

thanks

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 01:50 PM
help ive gone wrong already

i have created the sd card and modified the bin file as running 3.4

i put the sd in a could see the twighlight hack which i copied accross, it said something about having to play the game first, so i loaded up the game.

now when i go to copy the file accross it says its already in the wii memory

please help

dell_xps
21st February, 2009, 01:55 PM
help ive gone wrong already

i have created the sd card and modified the bin file as running 3.4

i put the sd in a could see the twighlight hack which i copied accross, it said something about having to play the game first, so i loaded up the game.

now when i go to copy the file accross it says its already in the wii memory

please help

Play Zelda for a min or so just so you have a save file,then insert the SD card with the twilight hack/ home brew channel etc.
Now go into the settings, delete the Zelda save file,then go into the SD card menu on the Wii, copy over the PAL hack, now go back and play Zelda, this time when it loads up, you'll see the Twilight hack, click on it, let it load up, once you are into the game walk backwards, this will start the homebrew channel install.

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 02:04 PM
thanks it worked home brew installed, i am trying to install ios16 64 v257 but i can move the cursor but cant select anything im stuck on the scree nn

dell_xps
21st February, 2009, 02:07 PM
thanks it worked home brew installed, i am trying to install ios16 64 v257 but i can move the cursor but cant select anything im stuck on the scree nn

Press the + on the wii mote to install that wad and any wad.

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 02:11 PM
hi it installed prod.wad and said it was installed ok now i am on the wad manager screed how do i exit?? also the homebrew channel did not ask for upgrade

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 02:13 PM
hi when installing cios_fix.wad

i got a ticket error

wish i never started this now....

error ret = 2011

dell_xps
21st February, 2009, 02:13 PM
hi it installed prod.wad and said it was installed ok now i am on the wad manager screed how do i exit?? also the homebrew channel did not ask for upgrade
Press home on the remote m8.

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 02:19 PM
hi dell thanks for all your help

im a bit lost

i installed the first wad file, went to do the 2nd one and it returns an error message.

please help!

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 02:23 PM
also the update on the homebrew channel failed for some reason

dell_xps
21st February, 2009, 02:25 PM
hi dell thanks for all your help

im a bit lost

i installed the first wad file, went to do the 2nd one and it returns an error message.

please help!

You'll be using the wrong wad manager installer for the second wad, use
Custom WM then use the + to install it, thats all your doing wrong m8.

dell_xps
21st February, 2009, 02:25 PM
also the update on the homebrew channel failed for some reason
dont worry about that.

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 02:26 PM
how comes i cant get the home brew software to update? it gets to the end then errors

dell_xps
21st February, 2009, 02:30 PM
how comes i cant get the home brew software to update? it gets to the end then errors

Dont know m8, as long as a homebrew channel is installed so you can softmod your wii i wouldnt worry about it yet, in the homebrew channel are you pressing the little icon of the world to update it using wifi ?

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 02:50 PM
hi that worked, i am currently at the stage of downgarding ios. its taking a while is this normal? i have not even selected the firmware version yet

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 02:52 PM
Dont know m8, as long as a homebrew channel is installed so you can softmod your wii i wouldnt worry about it yet, in the homebrew channel are you pressing the little icon of the world to update it using wifi ?

hi, i havent bothered to upgrade the home brew software yet as it was giving me an error. when i loaded it auto prompted for update, i just said no so i could carry on with the modding

dell_xps
21st February, 2009, 02:54 PM
hi that worked, i am currently at the stage of downgarding ios. its taking a while is this normal? i have not even selected the firmware version yet

Shouldnt take that long, dowgrading the firmware takes the longest, then install shop takes second longest.
Is your Wii properly setup for wifi m8 ?
Try another channel on your wireless router if your finding it runs very very slow.

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 02:54 PM
hi when i went to the downgrader stage it was installing loads of files and then just finished, at no point did it ask me to choose a frimware to install. when i go back into the ios downgrader it loads and when i press any button it goes back out to menu

dell_xps
21st February, 2009, 02:58 PM
hi when i went to the downgrader stage it was installing loads of files and then just finished, at no point did it ask me to choose a frimware to install. when i go back into the ios downgrader it loads and when i press any button it goes back out to menu

IOS downgrader and cIOS downgrader are 2 different progs m8, cIOS is the firmware downgrader, just keep pushing on as I have to go out very shortly with the wife.

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 02:58 PM
hi i think my interents just running a bit slow today. i live out in the sticks and its not the best.

i know what i was doing wrong, i hadnt gone into custom ios downgrader. just gone into that and selected 3.2e

ill be amazed if this works!

thanks for all your help by the way, it is appreciated

dell_xps
21st February, 2009, 03:01 PM
hi i think my interents just running a bit slow today. i live out in the sticks and its not the best.

i know what i was doing wrong, i hadnt gone into custom ios downgrader. just gone into that and selected 3.2e

ill be amazed if this works!

thanks for all your help by the way, it is appreciated

It does work, believe me, lol,

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 03:24 PM
firmware downgraded ok

dell_xps
21st February, 2009, 03:28 PM
firmware downgraded ok

OK rest is a doddle m8, i have to go out now, i'll be back few hours if you have any probs.

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 03:42 PM
wey hey! all done!!!! can see the backup launcher channel!!!! just need to make some back ups now

thanks dell for being a great help, what a great tutorial

cheers

dell_xps
21st February, 2009, 05:25 PM
wey hey! all done!!!! can see the backup launcher channel!!!! just need to make some back ups now

thanks dell for being a great help, what a great tutorial

cheers

Thank Drawflex also as he put the tut together, let us know you get it working ok.

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 05:37 PM
hi to play a back up is it best getting a game from a torrent site and just burning it to disc? can backups be made to sd cards??

Elbow777
21st February, 2009, 05:51 PM
Sorry to push in to this but wonder if I could ask for a bit of advice?

I have followed the instructions in the tut and I am at the bit where I have loaded the IOS downgrader in homebrew. It installed loads of files as said here, then rebooted back to the homebrew channel. I then went back into IOS downgarder where it rebooted straight away. Back in to it again (could not see a cIOS) selected IOS Downgrader and the screen has gone blank. The Wii is making a noise (fan?) so I think something is happening. Its been like this for about 10-15 mins now.

Does this sound right?

Many thanks,
Elbow

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 05:57 PM
Sorry to push in to this but wonder if I could ask for a bit of advice?

I have followed the instructions in the tut and I am at the bit where I have loaded the IOS downgrader in homebrew. It installed loads of files as said here, then rebooted back to the homebrew channel. I then went back into IOS downgarder where it rebooted straight away. Back in to it again (could not see a cIOS) selected IOS Downgrader and the screen has gone blank. The Wii is making a noise (fan?) so I think something is happening. Its been like this for about 10-15 mins now.

Does this sound right?

Many thanks,
Elbow

hi i had the same problem earlier, read back through my post. once those files are done, go back into homebrew and then load up another programme

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 06:00 PM
after ios downgrader you need to run cios downgrADER

Elbow777
21st February, 2009, 06:05 PM
sorry, sorry....

I was being thick. I did not go into the right menu. There's me thinking I can read too!!!

seems to be working now....

pilgrimkenna
21st February, 2009, 06:08 PM
sorry, sorry....

I was being thick. I did not go into the right menu. There's me thinking I can read too!!!

seems to be working now....

lol i did exactly the same mate! keep going your nearly there

dell_xps
21st February, 2009, 06:48 PM
hi to play a back up is it best getting a game from a torrent site and just burning it to disc? can backups be made to sd cards??

Torrent site or even better a newsgroup site, i'd forget the idea of backing up to an SD card, burning to disc is far easier for yourself just now.

drgonzo
21st February, 2009, 06:51 PM
is all the information in the first post still the most up to date way of doing this? I'm gonna give it a got but just don't wanna be using old info. Thanks!

dell_xps
21st February, 2009, 07:55 PM
Yes it is m8.

Elbow777
21st February, 2009, 08:08 PM
lol i did exactly the same mate! keep going your nearly there

Got there. Now playing a back up of our Cooking Mama game.

Thanks to Drawflex and Dell_xps for their invaluable information.

Cheers
Elbow

dell_xps
21st February, 2009, 08:33 PM

Cheers
Elbow

No probs m8 glad to of helped.

:party:

desiguru
23rd February, 2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for such a straight forward and simple to use tutorial. Just followed and installed almost everything given here. just got two problems:
1) Run cIOS Installer in Homebrew Channel
Load "Install Shop IOS51". Say Yes to installing IOS51,Yes to patching a fix but leave the Wii Shop Channel.

I got this installed, but in the last, it displayed "something failed, press any key to exit..." something like it... but my wii shop channel is working fine and i m on 3.2E now (after downgrade), so I assume its fine.

2.Go to homebrew channel and install starfall, read the gumpf and press B&1 when ready ( if you read the disclaimer it says use 1 instead of 2... B&1 ) and install everything on the list by pressing + on each item ( you might have to press B&1 a few times to get it to work )

No matter how many times i try, i still can't get the installation start, and I am pressing B&1 together on the disclaimer screen. After a while, it say "Failed..Exiting.." and retunr to homebrew menu.

I am more worried about the Starfall, as I wuold be running backup disk and don't want my wii to get auto updated. I will get Starfall again on my sdcard and try again, but if someone can point out what I missed, that would be great!

Also, i remember, i did not follow the instruction at one place, I went ahead with "Install Shop IOS51" step, and skipped the Starfall. After shop patch, i realised i missed the starfall and tried that. So, the problem is only in the two steps which I did not follow the exect order. Do let me know if thats the case and how I can fix it now.

dell_xps
23rd February, 2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for such a straight forward and simple to use tutorial. Just followed and installed almost everything given here. just got two problems:
1) Run cIOS Installer in Homebrew Channel

I got this installed, but in the last, it displayed "something failed, press any key to exit..." something like it... but my wii shop channel is working fine and i m on 3.2E now (after downgrade), so I assume its fine.

2.Go to homebrew channel and install starfall, read the gumpf and press B&1 when ready ( if you read the disclaimer it says use 1 instead of 2... B&1 ) and install everything on the list by pressing + on each item ( you might have to press B&1 a few times to get it to work )

No matter how many times i try, i still can't get the installation start, and I am pressing B&1 together on the disclaimer screen. After a while, it say "Failed..Exiting.." and retunr to homebrew menu.

I am more worried about the Starfall, as I wuold be running backup disk and don't want my wii to get auto updated. I will get Starfall again on my sdcard and try again, but if someone can point out what I missed, that would be great!

Also, i remember, i did not follow the instruction at one place, I went ahead with "Install Shop IOS51" step, and skipped the Starfall. After shop patch, i realised i missed the starfall and tried that. So, the problem is only in the two steps which I did not follow the exect order. Do let me know if thats the case and how I can fix it now.

Just start from the beginning again m8,skip homebrew channel though easiest solution.

desiguru
23rd February, 2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks, i started from the point after homebrew was installed, and it worked like charm! Great Tutorial, but I think you should include the way to exit while using WM and Custom WM, as there is nothing on the screen after the installation. I, being a newbie, was a little worried pressing home key, as i was in the middle of downgrading the firmware, and was not sure if pressing home menu will have any negetive impact. So, i think it shud be included in the tutorial, to make it a complete newbie proof!

Thanks a lot! I will download a game now to test it. Also, have to check other apps available on homebrew!

Update:--
Tested NinjaBread Man Wii game, as it was a rar file of 210 MB, expanded to 4.37GB, used Sony DVR -R with ImgBurn at 2X speed. Works perfectly fine, the game suck!
Also, WiiWare works fine as well.
Now, will look for apps!

Thanks a lot for such a simple tutorial! It made my day!

pilgrimkenna
24th February, 2009, 09:14 PM
hi dell, can you give any pointers on using the homebrew to dump a game iso onto sd card? as i dont have one of the lg drives listed

is the dumping software already on the homebrew channel

cheers

dell_xps
24th February, 2009, 09:38 PM
I'm not 100% sure if you can rip a wii game if you do not have a chip installed m8.
As yours is only softmodded I doubt you can do it ??, i may be wrong, i'll see what i can find.
Soz about that.

pilgrimkenna
24th February, 2009, 09:44 PM
I'm not 100% sure if you can rip a wii game if you do not have a chip installed m8.
As yours is only softmodded I doubt you can do it ??, i may be wrong, i'll see what i can find.
Soz about that.

no worries, i have downloaded some games and have installed the relevant programmes, but i note that a special lg dvd burner is required to rip the disc.

ill have a look into it. thanks

whats the best site to go to for home brew apps

dell_xps
24th February, 2009, 09:53 PM
Try looking for a prog called softdev, for ripping to SD.

Links.

Hack in Black, el Blog de Waninkoko | TeknoConsolas (http://www.teknoconsolas.es/waninkoko)

Homebrew applications - WiiBrew (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_applications)

Probably a few other people will have some more links for you.

drawflex
25th February, 2009, 08:18 PM

Cheers
Elbow

No problem mate

Yumraaj
25th February, 2009, 11:05 PM
Try looking for a prog called softdev, for ripping to SD.

Links.

Hack in Black, el Blog de Waninkoko | TeknoConsolas (http://www.teknoconsolas.es/waninkoko)

Homebrew applications - WiiBrew (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_applications)

Probably a few other people will have some more links for you.

Hi dell can you please upload it for me please. Thanks. I have tried to look for it via google but you have to register before you can download it, so if you already got it please upload it for me thanks. Much appreciated.:bawling:

Shah200sx
5th March, 2009, 04:18 PM
i am trying softmod on 3.4e did every thing as the tutorial until the part when you have to install starfall, i got to page where you have to press b+1 but nothing happens even tryed pressing b+2 at one stage it displayed failed exiting.

please help

cheers

shah.

drawflex
5th March, 2009, 07:02 PM
i am trying softmod on 3.4e did every thing as the tutorial until the part when you have to install starfall, i got to page where you have to press b+1 but nothing happens even tryed pressing b+2 at one stage it displayed failed exiting.

please help

cheers

shah.

keep pressing it mate... I had to try about 10 times to get it to work, it should work eventually.

Shah200sx
6th March, 2009, 02:04 AM
thanks for the reply mate
got it to install at last.

Thank you.

soccerette
9th March, 2009, 10:55 PM
Hi all, I was hoping someone could offer me some advice please. I was hoping to softmod my wii but have come accross a problem. I have formated my sd card and added the softmod files to it but when I put the card into the wii and access the sd card there is nothing on it. I thought at first that i made a mistake adding the files to the sd card on the pc but they are definately there and I have tried this using 2 different sd cards. My wii is running 3.4e and I have made the changes to the twilight.bin file.

Is there a problem with my wii or am I just being a dumb blonde lol

Many thanks

jfish
9th March, 2009, 10:59 PM
Hi all, I was hoping someone could offer me some advice please. I was hoping to softmod my wii but have come accross a problem. I have formated my sd card and added the softmod files to it but when I put the card into the wii and access the sd card there is nothing on it. I thought at first that i made a mistake adding the files to the sd card on the pc but they are definately there and I have tried this using 2 different sd cards. My wii is running 3.4e and I have made the changes to the twilight.bin file.

Is there a problem with my wii or am I just being a dumb blonde lol

Many thanks

format is using FAT

in Windows XP open up a command window (DOS box)

format x: /FS:FAT

ensure x is the drive letter for your SD card when connected to the PC

once format complete copy stuff back to sd card and the wii will see the contents

dell_xps
9th March, 2009, 11:01 PM
you probably dont have the files in the root of the sd card.

soccerette
9th March, 2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the reply :) now another dumb question, how do ensure that x is the drive letter for the sd card?

dell_xps
9th March, 2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the reply :) now another dumb question, how do ensure that x is the drive letter for the sd card?

x=d,e,f,g,h

soccerette
9th March, 2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks for your reply dell
All i did was copy the softmod files to the sd card, I can see the files on the card when in the pc but not in the wii. Am i doing that wrong?

jfish
9th March, 2009, 11:11 PM
All i did was copy the softmod files to the sd card, I can see the files on the card when in the pc but not in the wii. Am i doing that wrong?

what I meant to say is when you insert your sd card into the PC a drive letter is assigned (be it d e f g h etc) ass per my original post substitute the x for your drive letter

dell_xps
9th March, 2009, 11:14 PM

when you open up the sd card in the computer do you see all the files in the root or do you click on a folder then see all the files?

soccerette
9th March, 2009, 11:23 PM
Sorry jfish i was being thick, thank you I understand what you mean now.
Dell when I open up the sd card i see 4 folders and 1 file: 000000001, wad, apps, private, and boot.dol, is this correct?

dell_xps
9th March, 2009, 11:26 PM
Yup thats right, it's probably a duff sd card you have there, do you have another one you can try ?

soccerette
9th March, 2009, 11:29 PM
I have just formatted the card and added the files again and woohoo my wii can see it, im just waiting for zelda to load, so fingers crossed but i may be back for your advice if things go wrong. Thank you so much for you advice, watch this space lol

dell_xps
9th March, 2009, 11:30 PM
Do you have the homebrew channel installed as i dont see the wiiload folder mentioned above?

soccerette
9th March, 2009, 11:37 PM
I have installed the homebrew channel and it asked my to update the channel but for some reason it failed?

dell_xps
9th March, 2009, 11:39 PM
I have installed the homebrew channel and it asked my to update the channel but for some reason it failed?

Dont worry about that, its installed you can update it later on, crack on !

jfish
9th March, 2009, 11:44 PM

failed due to your wii not on tinternet

when I did mine earlier this evening, it downloaded latest update via tinternet

I recommend getting your wii connected to your wifi network if you have wifi at home

soccerette
9th March, 2009, 11:54 PM
Internet is def connected, im just installing ios drowngrader and it is currently installing from the net

soccerette
10th March, 2009, 12:39 AM
I just wanted to say thanks so much to dell and jfish for your help and a big thank you to who started this tutorial, it worked a treat. I am now playing mario kart that i download earlier :)

dell_xps
10th March, 2009, 08:07 PM
I just wanted to say thanks so much to dell and jfish for your help and a big thank you to who started this tutorial, it worked a treat. I am now playing mario kart that i download earlier :)

No probs glad you got it working.

rizlaman
13th March, 2009, 06:04 PM
hello i have got a wii and its week old so its firmware 3.4e which is the latest wii (i think). can this be done on mine.
thanks

drawflex
13th March, 2009, 06:32 PM
yes mate make sure you follow the tutorial properly and don't miss out the part in red.

rizlaman
13th March, 2009, 07:03 PM
cheers for response :) can i ask what is the difference between getting it chipped and the softmod option please

drawflex
13th March, 2009, 09:47 PM
cheers for response :) can i ask what is the difference between getting it chipped and the softmod option please

when playing a backup, softmod doesn't read the dvd at full speed which can cause some (a few) game's videos to be a bit choppy, you also need to use good dvd-rs with softmod Click here for disk info (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f16/best-discs-use-wii-backups-25389/), it's more picky, ... apart from that... not alot.

mickydibble
17th March, 2009, 01:26 PM
help got to this bit....STEP 3-2 Load cIOS Downgrader in Homebrew channel, scroll down to 3.2e (e = europe for PAL) and install. does the c stand for custom,when i load this it goes back to main menu,do i just connect to system update.then .i am on 3.1e.mick

dell_xps
17th March, 2009, 01:39 PM
help got to this bit....STEP 3-2 Load cIOS Downgrader in Homebrew channel, scroll down to 3.2e (e = europe for PAL) and install. does the c stand for custom,when i load this it goes back to main menu,do i just connect to system update.then .i am on 3.1e.mick

If your on 3.1 I wouldnt bother updating to 3.2, just crack on and do the rest m8.
3.2 is only to let you install starfall, if you really want to install it try it again later once you have it up and running ok.

mickydibble
17th March, 2009, 01:47 PM
accidently clicked yes on the shop channel what can i do help

dell_xps
17th March, 2009, 01:50 PM
accidently clicked yes on the shop channel what can i do help

I've never come across that problem m8,lol,you will probably have 2 shopping channels on your dash now ??
See what happens when you finish installing everything.

mickydibble
17th March, 2009, 01:56 PM
fing women never stop talking on about aqua arobics what a tit.....anyway there is only 1 shop channel...thnx for your fast response i was shittin myself....thnx micky

mickydibble
17th March, 2009, 10:51 PM
all up and running guys thnx very much for your help just havin a look at the home breww stuff/dl/copyingg etc

moe
18th March, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hi, I am trying the softmod.

I have a 2gb Kingston SD card (I have formatted the card and tried both with FAT and FAT32) where I have extracted the files and renamed the one file from twilight3.4.bin to data.bin.

The folders that I have on the SD card are 00000001, apps, private and WAD. I also have two files, boot.dol and eoreadme (html document).

I go Wii options/data management/save data/

I get two options Wii and Nintendo GameCube.

I click Wii and then SD card (on the top right hand side of the screen).

However, when it loads the SD card it brings up aload of white blocks with nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

joostjuh113
18th March, 2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the explanation of how to hack v3.4! Had some problems with them and was afraid could not be fixed!

treble
19th March, 2009, 10:26 AM
excellent work

asdafm
19th March, 2009, 11:11 AM
does this work on wii's outside of europe too?

tony2002
19th March, 2009, 11:38 AM
thats great. works thanks

auyx
20th March, 2009, 01:29 PM
thanks for this great post

drawflex
20th March, 2009, 07:24 PM
does this work on wii's outside of europe too?

It can do but i've removed the twilight hack files for other regions to save confusion. If you really need em drop me a PM and i'll send them.

HS786
21st March, 2009, 08:27 PM
Hi, i've JUST finished the doing what it said in the tutorial but the problem that comes is when i insert a backup game... i use the backup loader as mentioned but instead all i get is a blank black screen and all i hear is the cd being read again and again but not the way how it normally is supposed to...

any idea what could be the problem or where i went wrong?

dell_xps
21st March, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hi, i've JUST finished the doing what it said in the tutorial but the problem that comes is when i insert a backup game... i use the backup loader as mentioned but instead all i get is a blank black screen and all i hear is the cd being read again and again but not the way how it normally is supposed to...

any idea what could be the problem or where i went wrong?

What type of blank DVD's did you use ?, what writer have you got, and what speed did you burn them at ?

HS786
21st March, 2009, 09:34 PM
Verbatim DVD+R, im using a MATSHITA laptop DVD-RW drive and i tried 2x and 2.4x

dell_xps
21st March, 2009, 09:47 PM
Verbatim DVD+R, im using a MATSHITA laptop DVD-RW drive and i tried 2x and 2.4x

Ok dokey your discs are spot on m8, try an external writer or if you have a desktop PC with a writer try that, or see if you can get it burnt on something else.
I had the exact same problem burning discs in an older Dell notebook I have.
Let us know how you get on m8.
Dell_XPS

blabla
21st March, 2009, 09:52 PM
thank mate, excellent guide!

HS786
21st March, 2009, 09:56 PM
sadly i cannot move the iso onto an external hdd because it says its too large to move the file

dell_xps
21st March, 2009, 10:00 PM
sadly i cannot move the iso onto an external hdd because it says its too large to move the file

What size of hard drive is in your external m8 ?
If it's a large external you will just need to format the external drive to NTFS thats all, then copy and paste it to the external.
Right click on your external drive in windows explorer and format using NTFS, FAT 32 is only good up to 4GB hence why you get an error.

HS786
21st March, 2009, 10:01 PM
i just realised that i didnt delete the original rar files to the game :$... so i just copied the rar files over to the hdd and hopefully my bro would burn it from his pc... i think its a pioneer dvd-rw or an lg dvd-rw

dell_xps
21st March, 2009, 10:04 PM
i just realised that i didnt delete the original rar files to the game :$... so i just copied the rar files over to the hdd and hopefully my bro would burn it from his pc... i think its a pioneer dvd-rw or an lg dvd-rw

Just seems to be older notebook writers you get problems with, newer notebooks are ok.
LG/Pioneer/Plextor etc etc are all good, burning at 16X had no probs either, whereas burning at 2X on an older notebook writer just didnt work at all for me, wasted a few disc b4 realising that was the problem.

HS786
21st March, 2009, 10:09 PM
lol i made a mistake :$.... i did this tutorial and got a blank black screen in the end when i insert the backup right?... so what i then did is reboot the wii by formatting the wii... then i was still on 3.2E and i followed a different tutorial and its still the same.... i just hope i didnt ruin the wii now :(...

and what speed do you recommend i burn on from the pc's dvd-rw?

dell_xps
21st March, 2009, 10:11 PM
lol i made a mistake :$.... i did this tutorial and got a blank black screen in the end when i insert the backup right?... so what i then did is reboot the wii by formatting the wii... then i was still on 3.2E and i followed a different tutorial and its still the same.... i just hope i didnt ruin the wii now :(...

and what speed do you recommend i burn on from the pc's dvd-rw?

LOL, that makes no sense to me m8 ???

HS786
21st March, 2009, 10:14 PM
basically i followed this tutorial... and i got a blank screen after i followed this tutorial meaning the game wasnt loading i guess... so then i thought i would try a diff tutorial from another site but before i did that, i formatted the wii from the settings and then i tried to follow the other tutorial (from another website) but that ended up doing the same thing :(

dell_xps
21st March, 2009, 10:17 PM
basically i followed this tutorial... and i got a blank screen after i followed this tutorial meaning the game wasnt loading i guess... so then i thought i would try a diff tutorial from another site but before i did that, i formatted the wii from the settings and then i tried to follow the other tutorial (from another website) but that ended up doing the same thing :(

Ah right, well try writing the disc in another writer first, def sounds like the Wii cannot read the disc, ie usually caused by $hit discs ( not in your case though), so must be a bad burn caused by your writer.
You'll get it working m8, trust me.:congrats:

HS786
21st March, 2009, 10:19 PM
i hope so :( ill burn 2 games from his writer... TNA iMPACT and House Of The Dead... i hope they work well lol and thanks :)

dell_xps
21st March, 2009, 10:23 PM
i hope so :( ill burn 2 games from his writer... TNA iMPACT and House Of The Dead... i hope they work well lol and thanks :)

House of The Dead 2 and 3, I 've had some probs with that in softmodded Wii's, some it worked in some it didn't, not sure why, think it was something to do with IOS I installed ???

HS786
21st March, 2009, 10:25 PM
to be honest i dont even know which ios i installed :$ lool

dell_xps
21st March, 2009, 10:25 PM
What game is it your are trying to load up ?
Just thought, as you press the loader, press B on the remote, go into options and try force PAL 50, if no joy try forcing NTSC.

HS786
21st March, 2009, 10:29 PM
TNA.Impact.Wrestling.PAL.WII-SUSHi

ok ill try that after his burned version

HS786
21st March, 2009, 11:45 PM
i tried forcing pal 50 but its still the same :( this time i tried burning the house of the dead from my bro's pc and it doesnt work at all... all i get is a blank black screen although i did see something flash up on the screen for a quick second after like 20 seconds of it trying to boot up the game :(

HS786
21st March, 2009, 11:49 PM
when i updated the homebrew channel to 1.0.1... it said:

I'm running under IOS34 4.15
I'll configure The Homebrew Channel to use IOS36

is that wrong or ok?

EDIT: just read this from another site

Insert your empty DVD-R ( Important that it is DVD-R because there are read problems with DVD+R and DVD+RW)

all this time i was using DVD+R and not DVD-R :(... i gotta get some DVD-R's and try it out tomorrow now lol

punkopolo
22nd March, 2009, 01:29 PM
How to downgrade the wii system to 3.2

HS786
22nd March, 2009, 01:47 PM
if you are on 3.4 then just follow these steps:

that should get you to be on 3.2 :) but in order to do that make sure the homebrew channel is installed...

(Correct me anyone if i am wrong :$)

EDIT: Good News or Bad News dell_xps?... the bad news is that i need the component cable asap as this composite sucks!! makes the graphics look horrible!!... the good news is that it infact was something wrong with DVD+R's.... they are infact unreadable lol.. so i went out and bought a 50 pack of verbatim DVD-R's and what was the outcome?... IT WORKED!! i tried TNA iMPACT at 8x speed and it worked :D!! viva las wii softmod :) oh and im not on version 3.2 :s... im actually on 3.4 lol does that matter? should i just leave it as it is or just downgrade to 3.2?

NOTE TO ALL - DVD+R's may work sometimes (Depending on the drive that you use and the DVD+R) but not always! use DVD-R's OR DVD-RW's for wii games! and i hope to help out others who have problems with the wii soft modding like i did... if i am allowed to then i would be glad to help people over msn (PAL UK v3.4 only)

THANK YOU!!!!!!

jamieupanddown
22nd March, 2009, 03:48 PM
sounds simple enough, gona give it a whirl. thanks

dell_xps
22nd March, 2009, 04:07 PM
3.4 is good, only reason for downgrading to 3.2 is to install starfall.

Glad you got it sorted out, although I wouldn't tell people never to use +R's, personally I always use -R, if your going to use +R use good discs and a good writer,ie Plextor etc, and if you do get problems like you had then try -R's discs.

:party:

HS786
22nd March, 2009, 05:48 PM
yeah sorry about that, is it ok now? btw is there any way to speed up megashare files? cause im going at 320kb/s max :( and im on a 16mb broadband

drawflex
22nd March, 2009, 09:31 PM
if you are on 3.4 then just follow these steps:

that should get you to be on 3.2 :) but in order to do that make sure the homebrew channel is installed...

(Correct me anyone if i am wrong :$)

To get to 3.2 you need to follow the rest of the tutorial (eg step 3-2),you're just listing the first step, cIOS downgrader is the one that changes firmware, like dell says though, you can use 3.4 with softmod but can't install starfall, this makes it a bit dodgy for you to play out-of-region games. You also need to follow step 4, without the cIOS files or the loader installed, games won't run.

Follow the tutorial on the front page punkopolo, everthing is there, downgrade/softmod. http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f16/wii-softmod-tutorial-noobs-like-me-20545/

HS786... Carefull about posting dodgy info which could potentially mess up someone's day. And no mate, most file sharing web-sites throttle download speeds on free accounts, the only way to increase speeds usually is to pay, they usually restrict multiple connections from same IP too, so you can't use download managers.

HS786
23rd March, 2009, 02:24 PM
not being rude or anything but which dodgy info were you referring to :S... and im using free download manager to download megashare links but im not a free user lol i recently bought a link card just for the wii games but sadly all i get is around 350kb/s but sometimes i get 1.4mb

drawflex
23rd March, 2009, 07:09 PM
not being rude or anything but which dodgy info were you referring to :S... and im using free download manager to download megashare links but im not a free user lol i recently bought a link card just for the wii games but sadly all i get is around 350kb/s but sometimes i get 1.4mb

Was refering to info about downgrade to 3.2, no biggie.

As for megashare dowloads, assumed you were a free user.

Bob Shaw
23rd March, 2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the post, I will try it this weekend

HS786
24th March, 2009, 03:25 PM
Was refering to info about downgrade to 3.2, no biggie.

As for megashare dowloads, assumed you were a free user.

oh ok lol... btw is it ok if i help people out with the softmodding if they need help or if they are abit scared to try it out? :p... just asking because i wanna make sure that its ok just incase :)....

and nowadays im getting 1.4mb from megashares :S but then again once my bro goes on holiday this friday... his room will be all mine for a month lol which means i can download 2 games at one time because hes got a different broadband provider and so do i :D so thats 2 broadband accounts that ill be using lol

dell_xps
24th March, 2009, 04:21 PM
oh ok lol... btw is it ok if i help people out with the softmodding if they need help or if they are abit scared to try it out? :p... just asking because i wanna make sure that its ok just incase :)....

and nowadays im getting 1.4mb from megashares :S but then again once my bro goes on holiday this friday... his room will be all mine for a month lol which means i can download 2 games at one time because hes got a different broadband provider and so do i :D so thats 2 broadband accounts that ill be using lol

The more people who contribute the better !
So please do help.

LOCO10
24th March, 2009, 11:27 PM
thanks from loco10

HS786
25th March, 2009, 02:37 AM
ok no probs dell :)

killamikee
25th March, 2009, 07:53 PM
Right then guys. Thanks for the guide followed it to the word and hey-presto worked a treat
3.2e and starfall
lovely stuff!!
everything was working fine until.......
.."madworld"
wtf cant get this bas=@?d to work past the first boss
googled it and all i can rly find is "error 002 fix
is this what need or what?
pls help, thanks in advance

jizzum
25th March, 2009, 10:13 PM
:goodpost:

Phillhere
26th March, 2009, 11:14 AM
"Right then guys. Thanks for the guide followed it to the word and hey-presto worked a treat
3.2e and starfall
lovely stuff!!
everything was working fine until.......
.."madworld"
wtf cant get this bas=@?d to work past the first boss
googled it and all i can rly find is "error 002 fix
is this what need or what?
pls help, thanks in advance "

if you got into the game and got that far its not the 002 error, as this would stop the game from loading past the initial splash screen..

more likely a bad burn. what brand media did you use, what speed did you burn at and what program did you use to burn?...
also which source of the iso did you use?

killamikee
26th March, 2009, 05:06 PM
verbatim dvd-r at x2 speed using nero and it was the pal release

hopper28
26th March, 2009, 05:16 PM
This may be the end of this Hack with the new update version 4 which plugs the hole, so be careful with this update, as fas as i now if you already have the wii hacked no problems but impossible to run the hack with this update.

ilovefatboy
26th March, 2009, 05:56 PM
hello, was thinking of trying this, is the original tutorial still correct ?

hopper28
26th March, 2009, 06:02 PM
Ya but don't upgrade to version 4 in other words disconnect from internet.

drawflex
27th March, 2009, 11:38 AM
you need to be plugged into to the net to use this downgrade tutorial. don't get the new firmware update though.

kurtrogers
27th March, 2009, 11:45 AM
worked a treat

yanogore
27th March, 2009, 03:29 PM
I'll test this stuff very soon, I hope it will work for me.

TeKnoMaN
27th March, 2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks for putting up the method... Did a bit of a google search and came across this.. hope to try it soon when I get a Wii.:manusign:

jgendr
28th March, 2009, 03:46 AM
why can't I download the file?

sorry got it, Wait if wii ver is 4.0??? what do i do

drawflex
28th March, 2009, 11:06 AM
why can't I download the file?

sorry got it, Wait if wii ver is 4.0??? what do i do

They've plugged a hole in 4.0 which allows the twilight hack buffer overflow, so you can't install homebrew channel, or any of the softmod features. Basically, until someone comes up with a new hack or finds another vunerability you're gonna need a hard-mod chip.

People who have already softmodded prior to 4.0 are ok... check out the post from dell_XPS HERE (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f16/firmware-version-4-a-34034/)
But it looks like 4.0 firmware will stop starfall and some loaders from working, I haven't tried it as i haven't took the 4.0 update, i wouldn't advise anyone to update either.

tonypax
28th March, 2009, 01:26 PM
looks great guys thanks

hornydevil
28th March, 2009, 03:09 PM
Getting an 'unexpected end of archive' message when trying to extract the zip file. States the file may be damaged.

Anyone got a link to an undamaged file please..??

Cheers
Andy

jgendr
28th March, 2009, 03:38 PM
They've plugged a hole in 4.0 which allows the twilight hack buffer overflow, so you can't install homebrew channel, or any of the softmod features. Basically, until someone comes up with a new hack or finds another vunerability you're gonna need a hard-mod chip.

People who have already softmodded prior to 4.0 are ok... check out the post from dell_XPS HERE (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f16/firmware-version-4-a-34034/)
But it looks like 4.0 firmware will stop starfall and some loaders from working, I haven't tried it as i haven't took the 4.0 update, i wouldn't advise anyone to update either.

Thanks for your help, If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Any suggestions on which chip mod to get?