PDA

View Full Version : total noob to sat setup....need some pointers

freck
15th December, 2008, 09:30 PM
OK guys I've been reading up on the various dishs boxes and lnb setups you guys have running..nice work.
I'm into cable but I'm not too keen on getting up on the roof to install a dish and config to all the different sat directions.
I however have a sky dish up there which was installed when I moved in and have the cable running to my house.
I like the dreambox and know the ins and outs of them,ftping flashing and all that because I've fiddled around with them for ages.
But with a 500s box and the sky dish on the roof what if anything can I pick up with the right image.
A motorised setup would be more of an advantage but i just want to get the feel of thing before i go deeper into the sat scene with the dish I have facing the sky satellite which is hotbird...I think.
Any advice gladly received re images or whatever.
Thanks,
Freck

mickfromcork
16th December, 2008, 01:15 AM
Since the fall of Premiere to nagravision 3, in October/november a lot of people have moved to Thor at .8W, which has some very good channels, I'm a newbie myself, and I've managed to track this sat, its definitely got as many english speaking channels as astra 19.2 or hotbird 13E, the at can b a bit of a bollox to find, but defintely worth it.

Curious123
16th December, 2008, 03:21 PM
With a S*y dish and a dm500S you really won't get a flavour of what it like to have a sat setup. In fact I would say its probably worse than having a S*y box connected to your dish. You would need to move the angle of your dish to get something worthwhile on your dreambox.

alunfennell
16th December, 2008, 04:50 PM
And to add to Curious123 reply a Zone 1/2 Sky satellite dish will have its limitations when it comes to picking up a good reception from satellites such as Thor 1&2 which is the most used one at the moment, to be honest you will have to get a bigger dish 80-90cm and invest in a motor you will never look back.

Regards:
Alun

.: JaCkPoT :.
16th December, 2008, 04:56 PM
packages are dissapearing fast so your bewst bet will be a 90cm dish with a motor.....

freck
16th December, 2008, 05:07 PM
OK guys thanks for the comments and tips,Im getting a dm600s from a friend later but will your day to day installer just set your dish up and will your image find Thor or does he need specifics?
It seems like a motorised dish is the right way to go but what image will suit my box and what channels does Thor put out?
Apologies for sounding like a pure daw:embarassed: but once I get this started I'll get more into it.
Thanks

opsmonkey
16th December, 2008, 06:45 PM
hi mate..

your sat installer will set your motorised dish to a particualr sat.. then from there you can install other sats at your lesuire..

for what sat does what try here (http://www.lyngsat.com/) choose what you want to look at.. if its just thor then look here (http://www.lyngsat.com/1west.html)

the installer will just check you have got channels.. he wont faff about with your dreambox.. thats your job..!

freck
16th December, 2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks opsmonkey for the info:D
What would you recommend to use for optimum choice.I mean how many sats do i have to choose from?
Does each satellite config need seperate cams,keys etc and do you use the DK image.
All I need are a few movies,some cartoons for the kids....something similiar to what cable is giving out.
Can i create a favs bouquet from a choice of different satellites and flick thro them and let the dish do the work?
Thanks for ye're patience.....things will get worse when it comes to settin it up :D

Curious123
16th December, 2008, 10:15 PM
OK guys thanks for the comments and tips,Im getting a dm600s from a friend later but will your day to day installer just set your dish up and will your image find Thor or does he need specifics?
It seems like a motorised dish is the right way to go but what image will suit my box and what channels does Thor put out?
Apologies for sounding like a pure daw:embarassed: but once I get this started I'll get more into it.
Thanks

Get your installer to tune the dish to 1.0W Thor BBC World and you will be fine with your dm600s. If he can't get the above than you will be up down the ladder adjusting your dish like a rat with diarohhea.lol

freck
16th December, 2008, 10:27 PM
its not the best time of year to be scaling ladders curious123 especially with this irish weather.Suppose I can take a few immodium to settle the shits and probably fall of the roof with all the frost.
Early xmas pressy for the wife....me dead:p

Curious123
16th December, 2008, 10:34 PM
The wifes not buying you the dm600s by any chance?lol. As far as choice and comparison is concerned you know what you get on cable now multiply that by a factor of 10 and you will understand what you get with a sat setup. If I was you I would make sure you don't let the wife have the remote otherwise she will say you only got the dm600s because of the REAL pron.lol