PDA

View Full Version : USB to RS232 converter

scurders
22nd April, 2008, 09:59 PM
Hi, I started a post last week regarding the above and the fact that i couldn,t get it to work in conjuction with a null modem cable to flash my DM500. When I connect the dreambox to power when prompted, it recognises that its connected to a DM500 but doesn,t give me the option to flash it. Ive followed the post by smirnoff rules about assigning ports but nothing new. Its not the box as Ive flashed it using my mates desktop and ive a fully working box again (thanks to all who helped). Just wondering if anybody has any more info on this, im beginning to think the adaptor I bought is either goosed or just really poor quality.

Scurders

thommo
22nd April, 2008, 10:10 PM
you didnt see this then? cheap usb adaptors wont work with a null, mine didnt but i found info and posted in your old thread.

red text.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=9829&postcount=10

Neil
22nd April, 2008, 10:57 PM
Cheap is not a good way of deciding if it will work or not.

The problem with many USB adapters is that they don't fully comply with the RS232 voltage level standards. This causes failures in communication to some equipment. The standard requires the transmitter to use +12V and -12V, but requires the receiver to distinguish voltages as low as +3V and -3V. Many of the USB to RS232 adapters use levels of only +5 and -5 volts. It is usually these types that fail.

I have the exact same problem with several USB-Serial adapters at work when trying to communicate with process machinary.

Alpha4321
23rd April, 2008, 01:12 AM
i have tried a belkin adaptor and it did not work .you better try standard com port .i once crashed my box using usb to serail adaptor. it went fine but it gave me error while flashing and it scrued the box.

caveman_nige
23rd April, 2008, 09:34 AM
I borrowed one of those adaptors from my office that I use for connecting to some of my older switches, it would not work with my null modem cable to my DM, I tried everything i could think of and gave up.. In the end I just decided to borrow an old laptop from my office on permanent loan for the sole use of jacking my DM. Its like the jack for my car, has no other use other than lifting my shite motor up when i have to fix it again..

As PCs and laptops normally do not ship with an RS232 port these days, i might be worth buying up an old laptop (or PC) from a sale and keep it aside just for flashing your box. Might seem extravagant but you can picjk old ones up quite cheaply, even free if your a tight git like me..

dust1024
15th May, 2011, 08:26 PM
I have a usb to sirial adapter simular to guc232a but driver doesn't work. Any help?