PDA

View Full Version : Signals on Openbox

dinsey
14th May, 2011, 05:25 PM
Had a old sky box with the small dish, was installed by sky.

Purchased a Openbox, so changed the LNB with my sisters sky plus LNB (she wasnt using the box when over to sky).

I am getting most channels but some I see glitching, for example on sky sports news transponder 12148/H/27500

Signal intensity 84%
Signal Quality 25-30%

Do I need to adjust the dish?

dell_xps
14th May, 2011, 06:11 PM
Are you using a config file ?,
if so it will be the server.

dinsey
15th May, 2011, 09:06 AM
Are you using a config file ?,
if so it will be the server.

No man, just added the line as per how I did the test server, any advise on how I should be doing it,

Showing the newbie side here for sure now,lol

On sat gurus which appears to be 5 star rated

hooley
15th May, 2011, 11:06 AM
Make sure lnb freq is set to 9750 - 10600. You can do this by going to antenna set up.It does sound like your dish is a wee bit off. Can you test something else in it's place to see if it's dish or try box elsewhere to narrow down problem

dinsey
15th May, 2011, 01:40 PM
Make sure lnb freq is set to 9750 - 10600. You can do this by going to antenna set up.It does sound like your dish is a wee bit off. Can you test something else in it's place to see if it's dish or try box elsewhere to narrow down problem

Thanks for reply and being through about all possibilties, lnb freq is as per above. If I go in the same menu it shows

Signal intensity 86%, this is static
Signal Quality 39 - 48% it changes between this range constantly.

On another side not, does the time of day affect how much signal you are getting, Like morning and evening, whislt the earth is moving around the satelites above?

Thanks in advance

bernado
15th May, 2011, 01:55 PM
..... does the time of day affect how much signal you are getting, Like morning and evening, whislt the earth is moving around the satelites above?

Thanks in advance

No, these sats are in a geostationary orbit, they move in time with the Earth. I would imagine it would be pretty difficult tuning in otherwise, like hitting a moving target.

dinsey
15th May, 2011, 02:03 PM
No, these sats are in a geostationary orbit, they move in time with the Earth. I would imagine it would be pretty difficult tuning in otherwise, like hitting a moving target.

My Bad,

Not wishing to detract from main question about signal rates,

How do you add channels? Using channel list and it doesnt have some, so need to add manually with the frequencies.

hooley
15th May, 2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks for reply and being through about all possibilties, lnb freq is as per above. If I go in the same menu it shows

Signal intensity 86%, this is static
Signal Quality 39 - 48% it changes between this range constantly.

On another side not, does the time of day affect how much signal you are getting, Like morning and evening, whislt the earth is moving around the satelites above?

Thanks in advance
Have you another box you can try in its place? Then you could see if its box or dish.

dinsey
15th May, 2011, 02:09 PM
Have you another box you can try in its place? Then you could see if its box or dish.

Yes I have the original sky + one I can try but wont this differ in terms of tuners used. I seem to be getting good enough to get a picture but it seems glitcthy, on the FTA ones also, which suggests to me its the signal rather than server.

Example also, Cartoonito, I couldnt even get a pic, so I contacted the server person and he said its all okay.

Larger dish? New LNB? Hope I can just get away with moving it a few cms one way or other.

Going up ladder later to try.

SG8
15th May, 2011, 02:09 PM
If you changed the LNB you may need to adjust your dish slightly, had a similar problem myself.

dinsey
15th May, 2011, 02:13 PM
If you changed the LNB you may need to adjust your dish slightly, had a similar problem myself.

Cheers, Rays of hope now.

How much did you move it should I use the signal meter in menu antenna setup

dinsey
15th May, 2011, 02:14 PM
Cheers, Rays of hope now.

How much did you move it should I use the signal meter in menu antenna setup

Are some channels at lower range than others so would i need to select certain transponders in Antenna Setup and adjust them?

dell_xps
15th May, 2011, 05:03 PM
What size of a dish are you using ?, what zone are you in ?, look up what size of dish you need for your zone.
Also was the picture quality good b4 you changed the lnb ?,
did you tape around the cable at the lnb end so no water can get in ?