PDA

View Full Version : any one good on consumer rights ?

Rodbouy
15th May, 2011, 02:28 PM
here is my tale.

HI,

We bought a leather sute from DFS in Aug 2010 and was delivered Sept 2010.

Within 4 weeks we had them out to look at the cracks and defects in the leather and seat was already sagging.

4 weeks later another repair was done. The around christmas time we had a 3rd inspection / repair.

By the feb we were told we will be getting a full recover as the leather was peeling off.

So they ordered the leather and on the 10th May they picked up the 3 and 2 seater suite.

Now it was only away 3 days and it was back and on 1st look it great but one are was all crinked and bad looking and on two large areas of the sides of the 2 seater. It could only be described are sand paper to touch and were the join repair had been made on the leather was no thinker than paper.

So i called them and the man who done the recover admitted on phone that he wasnt happy with the leather and did tell his boss (yet never told me)

So they said ok come in and pick a new suite to the amount you paid.

So we went in and there was 1 of similar style for that price range rest were above.

The one that was in the price range came to ?1185 we had ?1350 to spend leaving a underspend of ?166.

So i asked if they would throw in the footstool at ?229 making them pay ?64 to which they said no chance.

So I asked for my money under not satisfactory goods. So they were going to deduct ?270 cost paid divided by 5 years (avg time a person has a suite)

Now I then asked for another full recover to which he refused to do.

Where do I stand on this.

TIA

gmb45
15th May, 2011, 02:45 PM
seen a prog on bbc, dont get done get dom, on this exac same problem with another sofa firm, leather peeling, seats sagging etc all the customers got their money back in the end, it was the manufacturing that was the cause, best thing you can do is go to trading standards and get more advice, you have a good case for a full refund.

Rodbouy
15th May, 2011, 03:41 PM
I was on the moneysavingforum and they said same mate, they even said the partial sum calculation was miles out, he was basing my suite on being worth nothing after 5 years and its not the industry std, its more like ?50 for the year.

I have emailed the head office and will post them a letter too.

The restraint you need to show some times when face to face with these idiots is unreal.

Googley
15th May, 2011, 08:09 PM
Phone them up again and tell them you have the right of a full refund as the goods they supplied were not to standard. I am sure if you google the Consumer Act you will find the relevant legal references. Make sure you put it in writing or record the tel. cons so you have proof, note the time, day and name of the person you speak to and tell them you are phoning Watchdog to let them warn others. Demand a full refund and compensation for all the inconvenience you have had to put up with.

You will get lots of help on the Consumer Action Group website where they will know everything - I use it a lot.

Good luck

I was on the moneysavingforum and they said same mate, they even said the partial sum calculation was miles out, he was basing my suite on being worth nothing after 5 years and its not the industry std, its more like ?50 for the year.

I have emailed the head office and will post them a letter too.

The restraint you need to show some times when face to face with these idiots is unreal.

SouthernComfort
15th May, 2011, 11:28 PM
here is my tale.

HI,

We bought a leather sute from DFS in Aug 2010 and was delivered Sept 2010.

Within 4 weeks we had them out to look at the cracks and defects in the leather and seat was already sagging.

4 weeks later another repair was done. The around christmas time we had a 3rd inspection / repair.

By the feb we were told we will be getting a full recover as the leather was peeling off.

So they ordered the leather and on the 10th May they picked up the 3 and 2 seater suite.

Now it was only away 3 days and it was back and on 1st look it great but one are was all crinked and bad looking and on two large areas of the sides of the 2 seater. It could only be described are sand paper to touch and were the join repair had been made on the leather was no thinker than paper.

So i called them and the man who done the recover admitted on phone that he wasnt happy with the leather and did tell his boss (yet never told me)

So they said ok come in and pick a new suite to the amount you paid.

So we went in and there was 1 of similar style for that price range rest were above.

The one that was in the price range came to ?1185 we had ?1350 to spend leaving a underspend of ?166.

So i asked if they would throw in the footstool at ?229 making them pay ?64 to which they said no chance.

So I asked for my money under not satisfactory goods. So they were going to deduct ?270 cost paid divided by 5 years (avg time a person has a suite)

Now I then asked for another full recover to which he refused to do.

Where do I stand on this.

TIA

Consult the Sale of Goods Act, these are your statutory rights, any deviation is a breach of contract.
The store must offer a 'like for like' replacement at no inconvenience to you. Be fully aware of your rights before speaking to them again.
Never hurts to mention your local media when discussing your problems.

Rodbouy
16th May, 2011, 12:16 PM
I actually called him back yesterday and cited all the relevant info but he sticking to his story although was not as confident as before.

Anyway a good update this morn.

Called head office and explained the situation to them but they will need to talk to the area manager before making a decision. Told them I had seen a lawyer this morning and trading standards to gauge a reaction.

Then I phoned DFS store to get the date it was delivered back in sept. They thought I was calling in to accept the original offer. Told the woman again the story and how the lawyer will be sending them a letter regarding the matter.

15 min later I got a call from the store telling me that the suite i choose with the foot-stool threw in would be accepted and the order placed at no extra cost to me.