PDA

View Full Version : How to stream

srathod
23rd April, 2008, 03:02 AM
How do i stream my PC with my dream box ? I've tried using VLC but i can't seem to get it to work. It will show screen shots but won't stream.

Devilfish
23rd April, 2008, 03:05 AM
If you enter the ip address of your dreambox into your web browser, you will get the web interface. (username:root, password:dreambox)

Click on the WEB-X-TV link at the top left and it will play whatever channel is on the dreambox.

bash
24th April, 2008, 01:11 AM
i am sorry i am new to this streaming stuff, but does that mean if my pc is connected to dream box via ethernet then i can view movies that i have downloaded from pc on my dreambox?

Devilfish
24th April, 2008, 01:39 AM
Yes, that's correct.

Although the dreambox will only decode MPEG format. So if the movie is in avi/divx/xvid, like most are these days, it will need to be converted to MPEG first.

Or you can use VLC to transcode the file 'on the fly' as it's being streamed to the dreambox. The convert to MPEG would probably be less hassle.

BlueJ
24th April, 2008, 10:25 AM
If you are using a Gemini image you can use the VLC Frontend Plugin.
This allows you to specify a particular folder on your PC containing your movies )avi, wmv, mov etc) and access and play them from the Dreambox remote.

I use it and I think it's fantastic. I'm not sure if it will work on images other than Gemini though. Perhaps someone else will know?

bash
24th April, 2008, 06:20 PM
i am interested in this and i have managed to ftp to my box, is there a guide on how to stream movies from pc to dreambox?

BlueJ
24th April, 2008, 07:11 PM
Hi,

Like I said if you are using Gemini then the VLC Frontend is your best option.

Here is a link to a guide on how to set it up:

http://wiki.videolan.org/How_to_DBox

Like I said earlier I don't know if this will work on images other than Gemini. If your image is Enigma based it should do in theory.

Please let me know what image you are using so I can try to help.

bash
24th April, 2008, 08:56 PM
i think i am using dw2 image

that guide posted is a bit daunting??

Devilfish
24th April, 2008, 09:06 PM
Not everything in life is easy! It's a very good and detailed guide and if you want to make the most out of your dreambox you might need to put in a little work to get it. Not everything can be handed on a plate!

bash
25th April, 2008, 05:31 PM
yes i will try kaos, but to a newbie it can be confusing, my box does not have the vlc frontend, how do i install that?

aftermath
25th April, 2008, 09:21 PM
search google for vlc 0.8.6b download that mate.

dont download any newer than the "d" version though, ive heard peeps having probs with it.

once you install it, enter a command in your web browser http://192.168.xxx.xxx/?screenWidth=1280

the xxx.xxx you need to change to your IP on the dreambox.

you will get a screen showing your channels/bouquetts click on the web-x-tv link , top left hand side.

yas
29th November, 2009, 02:19 AM
hi i am running a dw 2.1 v image on dm500c i would like to know how to set up streaming to my dream box i can watch my dream box from y wet by click on the vlc buttons

but what would i need to do to watch my movies which are most avi and mkv on my dream box

stevefaz
29th November, 2009, 01:54 PM
is this the same for all dreambox or just the 500