PDA

View Full Version : Steam cleaning carpet

lauren1979
23rd May, 2011, 10:31 PM
Okay, yes interesting thread I know ; )

Just wondering if anyone has steam cleaned there carpet before and if so what result did you get?

Going to get a new carpet eventually but for time being I have a steam cleaner I can use and just wondering if its worth it...

Shady
23rd May, 2011, 10:32 PM
have hired one of them rug doctors in the past.. did a cracking job on cream carpet.. got all the blood up.. ~~~~~ you csi!!!! lol
but seriously they are well worth the money

lauren1979
23rd May, 2011, 11:24 PM
That might be better then, theirs a few stains ( nice ) so i might give one of them ago instead, u can hire them from b n q etc yeah ?

Shady
23rd May, 2011, 11:24 PM
yeah b and q, morrisons, homebase, sketchleys...

chalky 4
24th May, 2011, 07:47 AM
Get a local carpet cleaner to do it. Lounge ?45 ish. Dont waste your time and money on a hire machine. A proper machine will leave the carpet almost dry and far cleaner. For just a few quid more! :sheep:

chucklor
24th May, 2011, 09:57 AM
I used to do carpet cleaning as a career filler, and on big contracts we used to hire machines like the "rug doctor" with no problems what so ever. But for one room only it may be more benificial to get a proffessional in, if you hire a machine it is better to do several rooms, or get a neighbour to chip in and let them do a couple of rooms. Also we didn't use the expensive chemical they try to sell you but Arial or Persil liquid....

opsmonkey
24th May, 2011, 10:36 PM
Get a local carpet cleaner to do it. Lounge ?45 ish. Dont waste your time and money on a hire machine. A proper machine will leave the carpet almost dry and far cleaner. For just a few quid more! :sheep:

For ?14 you can get the Rug Doctor for 24hrs and do the whole house..

You'll struggle to get it cleaner than a rug doctor if you use it correctly.. in fact 'professional' cleaning companies use them and charge you ?45 for the privilege..

chalky 4
28th May, 2011, 03:24 PM
Any decent carpet cleaners machine should be at least double the power of a rug doctor. They should also be capable of removing tea coffee and red wine stains. If your carpet has a high wool content, or is a Belgian Wilton beware of over wetting. They may shrink.

If money is your main concern. Borrow a wet/dry vac. Warm water with a small amount of star drops. Gently scrub solution recover with vac. And pat dry with terry towels. This would give as good a result at no cost, as a rug doctor.:sheep::sheep:

Kalipo
29th May, 2011, 01:55 PM
We used to have a steam cleaner many moons ago.. i remember using it quite often.. i didnt think steam gets the carpet clean tbh.. infact it left the carpet rough.. almost hard,. id stick to using a proper carpet cleaner. if your carpet is fitted properly i dont see the issue of shrinking occuring as the gripper rods "should" hold it..

usedmaggot
25th December, 2011, 10:06 PM
I picked up a cheap Bissel from Argos to use when leaving a rental property - very good results.