PDA

View Full Version : asbestos

arky4
25th May, 2011, 04:34 PM
the roof on my old garage is made of corugated asbesto cement can i get dispose of it myself or do i have to get pros in

gmb45
25th May, 2011, 04:37 PM
get caught dumping that m8 and you will be in big trouble.

arky4
25th May, 2011, 04:40 PM
i thought that but was not sure if asbtos cement is covered by the law

chucklor
25th May, 2011, 06:37 PM
Anything to do with asbestos I would get the pro's in mate or at least have it annalysed, that stuff takes no hostages...

Bulld0g
25th May, 2011, 06:40 PM
If you don't know what your doing then don't attempt to remove it yourself it can be dangerous and needs disposing of correctly.

xant14
25th May, 2011, 06:42 PM
Can you not leave it there? I take it your wanting a new roof? Is it leaking?
You could batten across the top of it and put full length sheets of galv'd corrugated sheet on top. It would stop the condensation issue with the tin sheets too.

Or am I way off the mark?

Bulld0g
25th May, 2011, 06:45 PM
Asbestos is dangerous when disturbed. Don't drill into it or break it in any way.

To answer your original question, you can dispose of it yourself. Ring your council and ask them for advice, they will tell you where to take it to to be disposed of properly. Asbestos is safe if left undisturbed but as soon as you break it, it releases fibres into the air which if breathed in can cause cancer.

smoggy
25th May, 2011, 06:47 PM
best bet would be to ring your local council for advice.
you could also contact your house insurance company (it just might be covered)

GastonJ
25th May, 2011, 06:47 PM
If you are careful in taking it down, dampen it down, bag it up in sealed plastic sacks, the council may allow you to take it to them for disposal at no cost. Phone them up and check.

xant14
25th May, 2011, 07:08 PM
I think they basically coat it in a watered down pva solution for removal.
I intend doing mine the batten way. Probably with a dust mask on mind. Galv'ed Tin sheet is about ?1.80 a foot. Corrugated Steel Roofing Sheets Roof Sheets Galvanized | eBay UK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corrugated-Steel-Roofing-Sheets-Roof-Sheets-Galvanized-/350465757554?pt=UK_BOI_Ceilings_Walls_Roofing_ET&hash=item5199631172#ht_1356wt_905)

But as other peeps have mentioned, dont mess with it unless your an expert... and I think I am. lol

Bulld0g
25th May, 2011, 07:10 PM
If your going to drill the sheets and fix battens on them you need more than just a dust mask for protection m8 ;)

gmb45
25th May, 2011, 07:33 PM
although asbestos sheets can been dangerous if cut, drilled etc, asbestosis was mainly caused in the manufacture of roofing sheets etc ,which is when the raw blue asbestos was used in the said manufacturing, and people suffered long term exposure to it, i used to cut, drill asbestos roofing sheets years ago when i was doing industrial roofing, with no ill effects, but its not worth taking any risk tho, so take advice if you want to remove it. Asbestosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestosis)

Bulld0g
25th May, 2011, 08:03 PM
The thing is m8 you can get pleural plaques with any amount and any type of asbestos exposure, which is the first sign you've been in contact with asbestos fibres.
The difference between blue and white asbestos is the fibres, one is curved (white) and the rest are pointed like spears (blue,brown etc) Without doubt blue asbestos is a bigger killer but nevertheless white IS a killer. Which is why ALL asbestos import is banned in the EU

Kalipo
25th May, 2011, 08:44 PM
I used to play with asbestos sheets when i was younger.. when we had bonfire night we used to throw it on the bonfire the day after when it was smouldering.. It explodes and goes everywhere lol..

But.... they say its dangerous.. now they tell us lol..

Anyway, you can remove it.. but make sure you piss soak it through with water before removal..on the underside of the garage should be the bolts which secure it.. cut the off with a dremel making sure you dont go near the sheet..

Once its off.. piss soak it again.. ring the council up and take it at the tip.(not sure but i think they want it bagged).. there is generaly and skip which is sealed.. go speak to the site manager and they will open it for you .. throw the focker in and give us a bell you can do mine next.. lol

Rule of thumb.. dont break the sheets.. whatever you do.

Bulld0g
25th May, 2011, 08:48 PM
I used to play with asbestos sheets when i was younger.. when we had bonfire night we used to throw it on the bonfire the day after when it was smouldering.. It explodes and goes everywhere lol..

But.... they say its dangerous.. now they tell us lol..

lol you'd be surprised what it was used in years ago, apart from the obvious including Artex, it was used in Play doh and childrens crayons for starters.

DogdySnigwirter
25th May, 2011, 09:19 PM
The latency period for asbestosis is anywhere between 10-40 years ... get someone in their 60's to remove it for you !

On a serious note I have removed a few garage roofs over the years and disposable boiler suits and masks/glioves etc are suffice if you cut the bolts from underneath or wait until after it has rained. My local council wanted ?13:50 per rubble sack, but then you have to break it up to fill the bags, not advisable because even though wet it is still dry underneath and will give out dust which will become airbourne. You could always phone your local skip hire firm but the chances are you will be charged in excess of ?300. If you can remove sheets intact and know a local builder who is digging foundations on a regular basis offer him "Beer Tokens" to put in footings before filling with concrete.

arky4
25th May, 2011, 09:54 PM
the way i see it my options are ask council for advise or other boards on top of roof and sheeting underside thus sealing in asbesto my only problem with second option i be concerned if i broke any sheets

Grizz
26th May, 2011, 08:23 PM
in my foolish youth i worked with this sh1te (only thing to my credit was i insisted on a decent mask and still held my breath as much as i could under it).
if i were you, id bite the bullet and take it down and dispose of it properly.(someone eventually will have to) i wouldnt be gone on having asbetsos sealed in to a nice dry space.

Plus the time you waste being careful battening around it and sheeting under it you would have it down and have your new roof up quick smart.

Be safe whichever way you go

Kalipo
26th May, 2011, 10:17 PM
Just want to point out that the corrugated board is more than likely corrugated fibre board and not necessarily its predecessor corrugated asbestos.

Key is finding out what it is - either find out from original manufacturer or get a test done. On one piece it shouldn't be that expensive for peace of mind. There are lots of company's out there and it isn't as expensive as you'd think.

Thanks.

chroma
27th May, 2011, 01:37 AM
Id be inclined to suit up, get a respirator on, hose the shit down with water then fire on plenty of veg oil (water will get the stuff wet, oil will minimize dust further)
Throw a nice oiled bedsheet over it, then a tarp, then attack the lot with a sledgehammer.

Fold the lot in on itself and bag the junk.

Then get the White Phosphorus and Napalm onto the surrounding neighborhood... just to be safe. (its easier to get hold of than nuclear weaponry at present)

Seriously though? What id really do is pay a man.
I mean id be pretty bummed in 30yrs when im sat in hospital hacking a lung up, kicking myself for not paying some other nutcase to do the job right ;)
I'm hardcore DIY, ie a tight fisted bastard. But there are some jobs that id definitely fork out for.

Asbestos removal.
Fuel pumps fitted from an inspection pit... never again...
Car exhausts... clatty ~~~~ing job!
Wiping my own arse when i make it to 93yrs old with lungs intact and constantly shit myself...

cablefreejunkie
27th May, 2011, 02:26 AM
Two members of my partners family have died in the last ten years from exposure to this shite
Dont ~~~~ around dressing up in suits firing vegvoil all over it
Get the pros in and do it properly
I hope you never see someone slowly loosing there life coz of that shite

arky4
27th May, 2011, 03:49 PM
asked the council about procedure to remove asbestos they never freaked but told me i could remove it myself wet it down use protection and bag it and make a appoinment to take it to council destructor for free still not sure

Grizz
27th May, 2011, 04:10 PM
i wouldnt break it up if i was you. if you are going to take it down yourself, bring it down sheet by sheet and trailer it down to the yard.

nice council though, i wouldnt even bother to phone an Irish council for same job, i'd prolly have to remortgage to pay for it....

arky4
27th May, 2011, 04:24 PM
the disposal skips are only two meteres the sheets are longer plus the condition of some of them cracked etc i think when dissturbed will fall apart

Grizz
27th May, 2011, 05:09 PM
you could hire a consaw(E20 for couple hours here, dunno bout UK), connect it to garden hose and split them across

arky4
27th May, 2011, 05:45 PM
ah a good idea i might just do that

Kalipo
27th May, 2011, 09:31 PM
Just fly tip it in manchester or liverpool.. they'l think theyre poppadoms and try eating it lol "chek wot i jus grafted" lol

mishevski
28th May, 2011, 10:03 AM
"Kapaz" - Capacity Building for Banning and Phasing out Asbestos in West Balkan Countries (http://noforasbestos.net/) We are working on a project for banning asbestos. You should ask for a pro help about asbestos.

thered
4th June, 2011, 12:48 PM
the roof on my old garage is made of corugated asbesto cement can i get dispose of it myself or do i have to get pros in

if you want to remove it remove it just remember that if broken any loose fibres should not be inhales so wear a mask and protective suit (paper will do)in case after you break it up it is still on your clothes

it then needs to be double bagged in strong sacks to prevent them bursting if nothing else it will save paying dismantlers

now the tricky part strictly speaking i dont think you are supposed to transport it yourself to the tip as this is illegal

so you may need to get a certified waste carrier to collect the asbestos who will then take it to the tip if you are not wanting to fly tip i would ring the council and ask what they suggest at this point

when i used to be in the waste game i had to have an ADR which enables the carriage of potentially dangerous goods without this i wasnt allowed to carry asbestos

i am not 100% that the same rules apply too joe public but i am fairly certain that you cannot legally carry asbestos to the tip without having an ADR and the correct paperwork as all hazardous waste has to be checked and signed

manutd4life
4th June, 2011, 10:09 PM
ARE YOU SERIOUS????????

get a registered company in ffs.

this is serious stuff, nothing to be messed with. if you touch it your not only putting your own life at danger but your neighbours aswell. takes 20+ plus years to find out you have it in your lungs!

if you do do it yourself(stupid idea) you need special yellow asbestos warning bags so it can be disposed of correctly!

flyingpig
4th June, 2011, 11:37 PM
If it is Asbestos cement in the corrugated form you can do it yourself. You need to spray it first - damp down the area.

The cement bonds the asbestos so it does not become airborne. So it is not as dangerous as AIB (asbestos insulated board). Removal of Asbestos cement is not a licensed job.

You need to double bag it, inform your local dump when you are there that it is Asbestos board (asbestos cement) and you wil be okay.

I would use a P3 dust mask whilst doing it. If you need any info then let me know via PM...

alker ranger
7th June, 2011, 08:14 PM
Your local council tip should have a skip for that type of asbestos I know mine has, do as flyingpig advises above and it will be no problem